[comp.sys.atari.st] AssemPro any good?

clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) (11/17/89)

I'm looking to start programming on the ST.  I would prefer to use
Assembly over a high level language, but am not sure of the best package
to get.  I've heard AssemPro is quite good.  Anybody have any comments
on this or another package?

The price I've seen is about $40 from MicroTyme.  I know these folks are
good, and the price looks right.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: Don't bother,
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        it doesn't work
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (11/18/89)

In article <1627@ultb.UUCP>, clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes...

>I'm looking to start programming on the ST.  I would prefer to use
>Assembly over a high level language, but am not sure of the best package
>to get.  I've heard AssemPro is quite good.  Anybody have any comments
>on this or another package?

>The price I've seen is about $40 from MicroTyme.  I know these folks are
>good, and the price looks right.

I use Assempro regularly, and have done so for more than 2 years.

The assembler works quite well, compiling anything I gave it easily.
However, my style is not common in that I seldom use include files of
the C sort; that is, lists of equates and defines. This style works well
for Assempro for 2 reasons: 1, the included macro libraries are not
worth the effort of using. I think that the author produced libraries
for his own use, and I find them useless. 2, the debugger can't tell
which name you equated to a number very well. It appears to use the
first occurence in debugging, which can be confusing. I generally use
include files for logically related portions of source code. I would
reccommend it as it appears to be one of the most inexpensive commercial
assemblers around, and works well for the price.

One warning: it uses a few constructs which are not Motorols standard, I
think it's the directives for setting portions to even addresses, but
I've had no problems.

>Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
(rest of sig deleted)
| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/20/89)

In article <1627@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
>I'm looking to start programming on the ST.  I would prefer to use
>Assembly over a high level language, but am not sure of the best package
>to get.  I've heard AssemPro is quite good.  Anybody have any comments
>on this or another package?

try ordering MadMac from atari (it comes as part of their development kit).
it is blindingly fast, and supports standard motorola syntax  and standard
comment delimiters (try that with that idiotic mark williams assembler!)
it produces normal dri compatible object files, so you can link them with
Laser C, atari's aln linker, or any dri compatible linker. (again, try that
with mark williams) i don't know how much it costs on its own, but at least
atari canada says that they will sell pieces of the dev kit by themselves.

(btw, i really don't like mark williams c. (it comes with atari's developer's
kit.) don't buy it. the only thing good
about it is their manual and their support. otherwise its slow, doesn't
support standard function value returning conventions (pointers are returned
in D0, instead of A0), and their assembler makes life an incredibe pain.
their dri object file converter didn't accept madmac object files, so
you're stuck using their brain dead assembler. yuck!)

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (11/27/89)

In article <1192@electro.UUCP> ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>(btw, i really don't like mark williams c. (it comes with atari's developer's
>kit.) don't buy it. the only thing good
>about it is their manual and their support. otherwise its slow, doesn't
>support standard function value returning conventions (pointers are returned
>in D0, instead of A0), and their assembler makes life an incredibe pain.
>their dri object file converter didn't accept madmac object files, so
>you're stuck using their brain dead assembler. yuck!)

The -fm and -fmu switches cause madmac to generate MWC format object files.
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (11/28/89)

In article <6710@cs.yale.edu> fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer)
writes:
>The -fm and -fmu switches cause madmac to generate MWC format object files.

Amazing! Landon Dyer said that Madmac could do this but never said how.
Thanks Mike.

What annoys me is that I have a manual for Madmac version 0.11 (Alpha) and
an executable version 1.00 (Oct 1987). I hope this works.
With the advent of Rainbow TOS there has been a new release of Madmac and ALN
but (fingers in ears folks :-)
ATARI UK ARE GIVING OUT NEITHER THE ROMS OR UTILS TO DEVELOPERS AND I AM
ROYALLY PISSED OFF ABOUT IT!!!!

To Ken Badertscher (Atari US):
I thanked you earlier this year for downloading my net article and forwarding
it to the appropriate Atari Corporation executives. Sadly there has been
no action yet despite 4 letters to Bob Katz (Atari UK), the last of which was
registered. If you can get me any help I would be eternal2ly grateful.

Generally again:
The deliberate suppression of Rainbow TOS in the UK is punishing the ST here.
TOS 1.4 took a long time to finish but I believe that wait is worth it but
when it is released right across the world but not in the UK that is more
than I can take. Many others feel like I do that this is causing a lot of
people to quit the ST. Such is the frustration that someone once suggested
that UK ST owners should get US images and convert them (screen freq, keymaps
, whatever it takes etc).

I believe we paid 500 pounds for the Developers kit back in 1986 and since
then we have got only Madmac, ALN and 2 newsletters the last of which was in
November 1987. The list of things we want developer info about gets longer
by the day. When will Atari UK support us? Perhaps if they were led to
believe that we were developing the all singing all dancing program that
would help sell 200,000 ST's a year we would get support.

Currently our only source of info seems to be Atari US employees, most notably
Allen and Ken, who use the net.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "can I have SPAM instead of baked beans?"!