[comp.sys.atari.st] STe TOS BUG

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/19/89)

Maybe we should make a list of bugs in the new STe's TOS?
I don't know if it has the same bugs as the normal ST's TOS 1.4,
but sure it has bugs!

The most obvious one is that it's impossible to record the
resolution desired in DESKTOP.INF;  whatever you save you will always
end up with low rez.

A quick fix for this is to save the desktop on a normal ST. Otherwise
you can get any texteditor and change the #D-entry (I think...) to 13
instead of 12.

I get some funny errors in the screen sometimes, when pulling up and
down the menus.  Looks a bit like an old version of QuickST, the desktop doesn't
redraw correct.  THis happends both in DevPac 2, UniTerm and the desktop.

BTW, the soundchip base seems to be $FF8900 -- maybe could someone from Atari
be kind enough to post a list of equates for the different adresses,
and the freqs used?  I can play a sample right now; but I can't sample
with the right speed! (I'd love to have the MFP setup!)

--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstav. 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/20/89)

Just a short PS.
I have found out what freqs they're using. Quite odd ones, really.
They are
		6258 Hz
		12517 Hz
		25033 Hz
		50066 Hz

With other words some kind of crystal divided with 1, 2, 4 or 8. Right?

Someone who knows how I can generate an interuppt with this freqs
for my sample-routine? Or will there be a new version of ST Replay and
similar packages?  Is patching possible? (Of course it is?!)
What about upgrades?

Think it's time to disassemble NEOWALL now.

--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstav. 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se
    UUCP:	...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!kullmar!pkmab!daniel

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/22/89)

A patch program should be available for the DESKTOP.INF bug you mentioned.
It was unfortunate that some ROMs went into machines before we found that
particular bug.  A new STE ROM release has been made which fixes the problem.
Only a few European versions of TOS were affected.

Contact the customer support people at the Atari subsidiary in your country,
and ask for STE_FIX.PRG.  If you are unable to get the STE_FIX.PRG, please
please drop me a note and I'll try to post it to the net.

Other than that, the two bugs we knew about in Rainbow TOS - the
internal AES and Rsconf() bugs - are fixed in STE TOS.  The screen
behaviour you describe sounds very strange.  It could be a hardware
problem (a bad BLiTTER?  I don't know - I'm not a hardware guy).

I apologise sincerely for any trouble the DESKTOP.INF save bug has caused
any STE owners, and hope you can get the replacement ROMs soon.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/24/89)

In article <1816@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

>Contact the customer support people at the Atari subsidiary in your country,
>and ask for STE_FIX.PRG.  If you are unable to get the STE_FIX.PRG, please
>please drop me a note and I'll try to post it to the net.

I will.  But tell me one thing. Why not post any such upgrades to the net
immediately as they're ready?  It can't be that expensive, but very
appreciated.
So as with any information concerning Atari Corp. -- I can, for example,
see to that the ST magazines in Sweden will get a copy. If you're not consider
it worth it, posting to the net - well, drop me a letter or set up a mailing
list!

You've got an opportunity to get the right information to the right places
here - no screwed up rumours. Oh no, the real stuff direct from the source.
And fast!

>internal AES and Rsconf() bugs - are fixed in STE TOS.  The screen
>behaviour you describe sounds very strange.  It could be a hardware
>problem (a bad BLiTTER?  I don't know - I'm not a hardware guy).

Probably a bad BLiTTER, yes. I've tried it out and exactly the same
action works with the other STE -- but not with this particular one. Leaves
some bits left in one bitplane.  Sigh, I'll have to turn it in for
a guarantee repair...

Thanks a lot for you reply, and keep up the hard work. I think you are
to few people on to many projects.

--

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (11/27/89)

In article <1816@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>A patch program should be available for the DESKTOP.INF bug you mentioned.
>It was unfortunate that some ROMs went into machines before we found that
>particular bug.  A new STE ROM release has been made which fixes the problem.
>Only a few European versions of TOS were affected.

Interesting -- is this TOS v1.61?  v1.8?  Or are there ROMs which say "1.6"
which really contain different things?

>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo Computer Division of H.P.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/29/89)

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) asks:
| are there ROMs which say "1.6" which really contain different things?

Yes there are!  The STE_FIX.PRG knows which version needs the fix and
which version doesn't.  The program is available in the countries
to which the earlier dated ROM revision was released.  All a user needs
to do is run STE_FIX and it will refuse to install itself if the TOS
version doesn't need the fix.

Incidentally, the original 1.6 revision has an os_date in the os header
of 0x07291989, the corrected revision is dated 0x10171989 (that date
ring any bells for anyone? ;)