[comp.sys.atari.st] PortFolio as a marketing aid ?

jackin@utacs.UTA.FI (Markku M{enp{{) (11/14/89)

I think that PortFolio is an easy and profitable way to
make Atari Corp. known in the businessworld.

I overheard a discussion in the HiTech-exhibition few weeks
ago. One (business) man said to the other when the were at
the Atari boot : " See (pointing at the ST with MegaScreen,
which had a complex CAD-drawing on it), there's your games
machine ". They had come to look at the PortFolio and they
saw an Atari ST which didn't look like a games machine.

Now, if Atari is going to enter USA (no more flames please),
Atari has to spend tons of money (real marketing needs it).
PortFolio smoothens this process (and brings money too). I
see it happen also in the UK. Atari UK had recently two full
page ads (in PCW), one of which had PortFolio, the other
Atari PC-range. No ST ads. It looks to me that Atari tries
to shed it's games machine reputation away. Hope it succeeds.

By the way, now that I have read few books of economics, I
understand much better Atari. It's a tough world out there.

MM.

PS. No flames please and please let's stop bashing TT.

! Markku M{enp{{ ! University of Tampere (Finland)  !

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (11/18/89)

Check this one out:  I was working in the computer/accounting dept
of a major accounting firm in Hartford when what did my eyes spy on
the desk of every administrator in the firm?  A big enevelope from
Atari Corp!  Enclosed was a very detailed explanation and description
of the Portfolio in a fold-out type magazine ad along with the 30-day
money back offer.  If Atari can reach into the levels of management far
enough and turn enough enough heads with this little wonder it *may*
just be enough to get some business' to look at the rest of the line.

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/21/89)

Pete Szymonik says:

>If Atari can reach into the levels of management far
>enough and turn enough enough heads with this little wonder it *may*
>just be enough to get some business' to look at the rest of the line.

This is a very good idea, and a very creditable approach to marketing.. but..
did any of those envelopes you saw with the Portfolio info in them mention
*anything* about the other Atari computers...?

BobR

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (11/22/89)

In article <24312@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Pete Szymonik says:
>>If Atari can reach into the levels of management far
>>enough and turn enough enough heads with this little wonder it *may*
>>just be enough to get some business' to look at the rest of the line.
>This is a very good idea, and a very creditable approach to marketing.. but..
>did any of those envelopes you saw with the Portfolio info in them mention
>*anything* about the other Atari computers...?
     I'd bet not - actually, I'd hope not. From a realistic standpoint,
Atari will have a hard enough time getting _one_ concept past the "Oh,
Atari, they make video games" reaction most executives will have. Getting
_two_ past would not only be extraordinarily unlikely, but the attempt
itself would be unwise. Get ONE point in, and make it. Then when they
show up in the store to look at the Portfolio first hand, have the other
computers clearly marked and available as well.

TO ATARI:
     You guys might want to change your magazine Portfolio ads just a bit.
The screen is already small; the spreadsheet you've got running (in the
pictures I've seen, anyway) make it look much smaller. That border and
the unnecessary info reduce the percieved workspace down to three lines
by four numbers - not the impression I'd want to make...

                                                 - R'ykandar
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/28/89)

Atari had the standard two page advertisement for the Portfolio in
the TWA Airlines magazine when I flew over the Thanksgiving holiday.
It was fun to see it in an airline mag.

Rich Covert

wilson@mfci.UUCP (Jeff Wilson) (12/01/89)

By the way, noticed the Portfolio got a good mention in a
recent issue of Businessweek.  It was positioned as the
no-frills alternative to the Poquet (correct spelling?)
PC.

Wish I could recall the issue.  I remember that it
featured an article about the success of Taiwan.  That
ought to be enough info to allow diehards to find the
right issue at the public library via the Reader's Guide
to Periodical Literature.

Jeff