[comp.sys.atari.st] TOS 1.4 in the UK.

cmp7131@sys.uea.ac.uk (M. Plumtree) (09/13/89)

Having read most of the articles about how wonderful TOS 1.4 is, and the
various reports about its release in Germany and the USA, I decided to ring
my local distributor.

So I rang Silica Shop (not exactly local, but I thought they of all Atari
distributors would be able to help) and asked when TOS 1.4 would be here in
the UK. After a quick discussion away from the phone, the guy on the other
end said, "Sometime before Christmas." So, going on what Ken had said, I
pressed on, saying that perhaps Atari (UK) hadn't released the newsletter
yet, but it should be available, but I got no more joy from them.

So then I contacted Atari here in the UK, and they gave the same answer as
Silica Shop, "sometime before Christmas" even after pointing out the fact
that it is available on mainland Europe, and in America.

What have Atari (US) got against Atari (UK) ? How different can the US/UK
ROM sets be ?

On a related point, when I finally do get a ROM set, how easy will it be to
install it in my TOS 1.0 machine (I don't know the rev. #, but if this helps,
both the LEDs are red, as opposed to the newer machines which have yellow
and green LEDs.) If there are too many/few sockets in my machine for the chips,
will Atari (Anywhere) be producing an adapter board ?

2E (no relation to the Apple ][e)

Matt Plumtree   --   cmp7131@uk.ac.uea.sys  or  cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
     cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@UKACRL   or   cmp7131%sys.uea.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu
"We like to make peoples' ears bleed" - Dr. Alien
                                     I disclaim all knowledge of any diclaimer

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/15/89)

Note: This is a heavily trimmed article. You've just no idea how much white
heat flaming at Atari UK I had in it before!

In article <704@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp7131@sys.uea.ac.uk (M. Plumtree) writes:
About TOS 1.4
>So then I contacted Atari here in the UK, and they gave the same answer as
>Silica Shop, "sometime before Christmas" even after pointing out the fact
>that it is available on mainland Europe, and in America.

Incredible! You actually managed to get past the phone answerer!
Was it Bob (in a meeting|on holiday|not in today) Katz you spoke to?

>What have Atari (US) got against Atari (UK)?

What have Atari (UK) got against owners of Atari computers?
I think Atari UK have had the ROMS as long as any other subsiduary but have
not worked out their maximum profit making marketing strategy for them yet.
We are registered developers and bought the dev kit so that we (and our
students) would know the ST inside out. Not to develope amazing programs
to sell more ST's. No newletters in 2 years, no mention of Mega specific
hardware, S.A.L.A.D, SM194 Moniterm, Maths coprocessor, STacey, aln upgrade,
madmac upgrade or db. Argh!

So I guess Atari UK are not interesetd in us any more because we don't make
them any money (Atari UK's second language :-)

>On a related point, when I finally do get a ROM set, how easy will it be to
>install it in my TOS 1.0 machine (I don't know the rev. #, but if this helps,
>both the LEDs are red, as opposed to the newer machines which have yellow
>and green LEDs.) If there are too many/few sockets in my machine for the
>chips, will Atari (Anywhere) be producing an adapter board ?

Well the two chip machines (Rev D) have solder pads to tell it what kind of
chips are being used and have four of the normal 6 sockets missing. So if you
get a 2 chip set just bung them in. If you get a 6 chip set add 4 sockets and
change the solder pads.

If you have an old ST with only the 6 chip option and are given a 2 chip set,
go on the rampage to Atari UK.

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! "I think all right thinking people in this country are sick and tired of    !
! being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with      !
! being sick and tired. I'm certainly not and I'm sick and tired of being     !
! told that I am!" - Monty Python                                             !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK                                                     !

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (09/18/89)

From article <3105@brahma.cs.hw.ac.uk>, by neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth):
> Note: This is a heavily trimmed article. You've just no idea how much white
> heat flaming at Atari UK I had in it before!

I think I can guess. I have to struggle to be polite too.

> What have Atari (UK) got against owners of Atari computers?
> I think Atari UK have had the ROMS as long as any other subsiduary but have
> not worked out their maximum profit making marketing strategy for them yet.
> We are registered developers and bought the dev kit so that we (and our
> students) would know the ST inside out. Not to develope amazing programs
> to sell more ST's. No newletters in 2 years, no mention of Mega specific
> hardware, S.A.L.A.D, SM194 Moniterm, Maths coprocessor, STacey, aln upgrade,
> madmac upgrade or db. Argh!

Yes, I can confirm that.  I'm not a registered developer myself, but I
know two people on my campus who are.  Neither has TOS 1.4.  Neither
has mentioned to me receiving any of the items mentioned by Neil.

At our university there are literally hundreds of STs.  They are very
nearly great machines, and when the bulk of our purchases were made
the ST had great promise.  Over the years, though, we've become more
and more disillusioned with Atari as a company.  Unless Atari UK can
show more commitment to users there will either be a gradual move away
to other machines or there decisions will be taken to replace whole
batches of STs with something from another company.

Graham

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/20/89)

Neil and Graham:

Thank you for sharing your concerns about Atari UK.  Your messages
have been forwarded to the appropriate Atari Corp. executives.
Hopefully things will be straightened out soon so that you and all the
other UK ST owners and developers will be able to get the Rainbow TOS
upgrade and other ST/Mega enhancements and documentation that is
available!

  Best Regards,
  Ken

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (09/22/89)

In article <1700@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>Neil and Graham:
>Thank you for sharing your concerns about Atari UK.  Your messages
>have been forwarded to the appropriate Atari Corp. executives.
>Hopefully things will be straightened out soon so that you and all the
>other UK ST owners and developers will be able to get the Rainbow TOS
>upgrade and other ST/Mega enhancements and documentation that is
>available!

YAHOO! Greeeaaat!

>  Best Regards,
>  Ken

Thank you very much.

>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

! DISCLAIMER: Unless otherwise stated, the above comments are entirely my own !
!                                                                             !
! Neil Forsyth                       JANET:  neil@uk.ac.hw.cs                 !
! Dept. of Computer Science          ARPA:   neil@cs.hw.ac.uk                 !
! Heriot-Watt University             UUCP:   ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!neil          !
! Edinburgh, Scotland, UK            "spam spaM spAM sPAM SPAM, lovely SPAM"  !

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (09/22/89)

In article <1700@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> Neil and Graham:
>
> Thank you for sharing your concerns about Atari UK.  Your messages
> have been forwarded to the appropriate Atari Corp. executives.
> Hopefully things will be straightened out soon so that you and all the
> other UK ST owners and developers will be able to get the Rainbow TOS
> upgrade and other ST/Mega enhancements and documentation that is
> available!
>
>   Best Regards,
>   Ken
>
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

  Ken, who do I contact at Atari to complain about availability of TOS 1.4?
I need names and address'. I tried to obtain a copy at my dealership in
Wallingford CT. My dealer is about as knowledgeable about the ST systems
as anyone, i.e. he builds custom drives, repairs the hardware etc, but
he was informed by his most recent dealer newsletter that he can only get
new roms in DTP systems and these have to be ordered in quantity. I told
him I would try to ask you guys on the net to see what the real official
story is. I have read a lot here about pseudo-availability (i.e. a few of
the netters have it ...but who knows how?). How does my dealer order the new
roms and expect to get them? Is there someone at Atari who can tell him?
Or Me?  Thanks...
  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu or

                  4 Laurel Avenue, Ledyard,    CT 06339 (203)-464-9009
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (09/23/89)

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

|   Ken, who do I contact at Atari to complain about availability of TOS 1.4?
[...]
| [local dealer] was informed by his most recent dealer newsletter that he can
| only get new roms in DTP systems and these have to be ordered in quantity.

This is one of the big problems that a lot of folks are seeing when they
go to dealers.  The dealer newsletter went to press before the Rainbow TOS
ROMs were in production, so very limited quantities were available.  They
are available in quantity *now*, and our dealer services folks are working
hard to get the information out to dealers.  As far as I know, there is no
quantity restriction, but I may be wrong about that.

Your dealer should contact Dealer Services at Atari Corp. (I don't know
the number off hand... they don't let me out of my cubicle much these
days ;-).  If the dealer calls 408/745-2000 and asks for dealer services,
they should get the right person.

--

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (09/25/89)

In article <1705@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>
>|   Ken, who do I contact at Atari to complain about availability of TOS 1.4?
>[...]
>| [local dealer] was informed by his most recent dealer newsletter that he can
>| only get new roms in DTP systems and these have to be ordered in quantity.
>
>This is one of the big problems that a lot of folks are seeing when they
>go to dealers.  The dealer newsletter went to press before the Rainbow TOS
>ROMs were in production, so very limited quantities were available.  They
>are available in quantity *now*, and our dealer services folks are working
>hard to get the information out to dealers.  As far as I know, there is no
 ^^^^

 How "hard" is it to send a single sheet of paper to ALL your dealers?
 Seems like in the days of computers, less-than-mass mailing would be easy.
 Perhaps someone at ATARI formatted the disk with the addresses of
 the "official" distributors of ATARI products.  ATARI's guess should
 be better than mine.

>Your dealer should contact Dealer Services at Atari Corp. (I don't know

 ATARI should contact their dealers.

> they don't let me out of my cubicle much these days
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine

-ramsiri
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu

danscott@atari.UUCP (Dan Scott) (09/29/89)

in article <1705@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) says:

> Your dealer should contact Dealer Services at Atari Corp. (I don't know
> the number off hand... they don't let me out of my cubicle much these
> days ;-).  If the dealer calls 408/745-2000 and asks for dealer services,
> they should get the right person.
>
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

The number is 408-745-2466.  No, there is no limit that I am aware of.

Dan

AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) (11/30/89)

Mainly for UK ST'ers...

I now hear that Atari UK have ordered the TOS1.4 roms from Atari Taiwan, and
that they will be available sometime (but, opinion seems, not soon) for a
price well in excess of 100 quid (cf 100 dollars in the US!).

I have also discovered that Atari UK are the worst company to contact that
I have ever encountered, with a telephonist whose degree of unhelpfulness
plumbs constantly lower depths. "Atari-please-hold..... (25 minutes later I gave
up)". That's if they answer (50% chance). I can quite easily believe that this
bunch of wazzocks are entirely responsible for the non-appearance of TOS 1.4
here.

Jan Ameij,
Oxford University Department of Applied Metaphysics,
ameij@ox.vax

PS: Ken B. and Allan P., please don't take offence, I realize this has nothing
to do with you or Atari US.

neil@cs.hw.ac.uk (Neil Forsyth) (12/01/89)

Well I guess you folks knew I wouldn't let this go by without comment ...

In article <8911300808.AA08824@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK
(Jan Ameij) writes:
>I now hear that Atari UK have ordered the TOS1.4 roms from Atari Taiwan, and
>that they will be available sometime (but, opinion seems, not soon) for a
>price well in excess of 100 quid (cf 100 dollars in the US!).

Yeah! That's sounds like regular 'screw them stoopid' Atari UK policy.
These ROMS will probably be for general distribution but why do I not have a
it (even on EPROM) now. We ARE registered Developers!

>I have also discovered that Atari UK are the worst company to contact that
>I have ever encountered, with a telephonist whose degree of unhelpfulness
>plumbs constantly lower depths. "Atari-please-hold..... (25 minutes later I
>gave up)". That's if they answer (50% chance). I can quite easily believe
>that this bunch of wazzocks are entirely responsible for the non-appearance
>of TOS 1.4 here.

My usual Atari UK telephone experience (if I get an answer)

Atari: "Hello Atareee!"
Irate Developer: "I'd like to speak to Bob Katz please"
Atari: "Hold on pleeez" Click
Silence, More Silence
Atari: "Who are you hold for?"
Irate Developer: "BOB KATZ"
Atari: "Hold on puleez" Click "I'm sorry he's in a meeting" (Like everyday!)
       "Can I take a message"

At this point you can either say NO (But she'll hang up before you finish the
word) or YES and leave a message that will be ignored or she'll forget before
it hits the paper.

>Jan Ameij,
>Oxford University Department of Applied Metaphysics,
>ameij@ox.vax

Do you remember the joke about Apple employees changing a lightbulb?

How many Atari UK employees does it take to change a lightbulb?
Who cares as long as they change it soon! :-) NFSU

>PS: Ken B. and Allan P., please don't take offence, I realize this has nothing
>to do with you or Atari US.

Agreed! Thru these silent years they have been the only support I have seen and
long may they continue to do so.