[comp.sys.atari.st] tos 1.4 problem?

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (11/29/89)

over the last couple of weeks, we've developed (for internal use only,
unfortunately) a co-processor board for the atari mega st which will
communicate to the electrohome JAZZ digital video effects processor.
this allows the atari to talk to the processor to tell it to do things
like video zooms, rotations, and special effects like checkerboard wipes,
etc.

anyways, now that the board is working, i've begun to write some software
and i've come across a peculiar problem. we have 128K of RAM mapped in
at $C00000 to $C1FFFF. (these are addresses that the developer docs
say are reserved for mega expansion boards). we have tos 1.4 installed
in our system.

in my software, i wanted to be able to the following:

	wHandle = Fcreate ("image.bin", 0);
	if (wHandle >= 0)
		{
		Fwrite (wHandle, 0x20000L, (char *)0xC00000L);
		Fclose (wHandle);
		}

and the converse when restoring the data back into that addresses space.

now, what happened when this was run was that the computer locked up. the
hard disk light stayed on solid (but no writing was being done).
if the address of the buffer is changed to something in main memory,
there are no problems.

is this a problem with the atari DMA? is there anything special that needs
to be designed into RAM on a mega expansion board to allow DMA to occur?
does the DMA chip croak if you attempt to do an Fread/Fwrite outside of
main memory (i've also noticed that trying to Fwrite ROM writes out complete
garbage)?

anyone else noticed these problems???

an answer on this soon would be appreciated. (who's the hardware guru
at atari??)

also, is it possible to order replacement blitters??? our's is not behaving
properly anymore (bus errors when certain blitter locations are accessed,
but everything works fine when the blitter is turned off in the desktop.inf
file)

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (11/30/89)

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>		Fwrite (wHandle, 0x20000L, (char *)0xC00000L);

Sorry, guy, the ST can only DMA from ST memory.  You can't do DMA from
ROM, either.  You'll have to copy from the special memory to real
memory, then write that to disk.  If you're using Fwrite it can't be
that time critical...

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (12/02/89)

In article <1836@atari.UUCP> apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) writes:
>ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) writes:
>>		Fwrite (wHandle, 0x20000L, (char *)0xC00000L);
>
>Sorry, guy, the ST can only DMA from ST memory.  You can't do DMA from
>ROM, either.  You'll have to copy from the special memory to real
>memory, then write that to disk.  If you're using Fwrite it can't be
>that time critical...

thanx for the quick reply. that's all i wanted to know. after the above
code didn't work, the first thing i tried was copying that memory range
into main memory, and then fwriting. just wanted to check if it was something
we screwed up in designing the co-processor card.

a further question: does that mean that with any of these
hi-res displays that are available (ie: 1024 by 1024 type monochrome
display, etc) you cannot save out the screen memory directly to hard
disk?? does that mean that you are forced to always copy the screen
image into main memory, and then save it out??

a further further question: does anyone out there actually own one
of these hi-res mono displays???? if so, how do you like it??