[comp.sys.atari.st] Want a fast Atari ST...how about a '030 chip?

Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) (11/09/89)

Yes its true!  Dave Small has teamed up with Jim Allen of Fast
Technologies to make an add-on board for the ST which will run
a '030 chip at 16MHz!!  Reportly this board speeds Spectre GCR
to Mac IIci speeds!  I didn't ctach all of the GEnie CO last night,
but will UL a transcript as soon as I get my hands on it!

Peter Szymonik
Xorg@cup.portal.com

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Post No Nicknames' Newton) (11/12/89)

In article <23808@cup.portal.com> Xorg@cup.portal.com (Peter Ted Szymonik) writes:
>Yes its true!  Dave Small has teamed up with Jim Allen of Fast
>Technologies to make an add-on board for the ST which will run
>a '030 chip at 16MHz!!  Reportly this board speeds Spectre GCR
>to Mac IIci speeds!  I didn't ctach all of the GEnie CO last night,

   Since the IIci uses a 25MHz 68030, I can't see how this will come close to
IIci speeds.

   Will they also port a Unix to make use of the 68030's built-in MMU?  That
would be a Win.

--
David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--
(414) 524-7343 (work) |    dnewton@carroll1.cc.edu     | for the future--

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (11/16/89)

[stuff deleted]
>>a '030 chip at 16MHz!!  Reportly this board speeds Spectre GCR
>IIci speeds.
>
>--
>David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--

As stated many times before, Mhz does not have all that much to do with the
actual speed.  The whole architecture must be taken into account... One thing
that slows down Macs is their CPUs handle EVERYTHING.  That includes mouse
and keyboard activities, floppy/hard disk controls... Really slows things down.

Mike Matthews

dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Post No Nicknames' Newton) (11/16/89)

In article <5626@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
>[stuff deleted]
>>>a '030 chip at 16MHz!!  Reportly this board speeds Spectre GCR
>>--
>As stated many times before, Mhz does not have all that much to do with the
>actual speed.  The whole architecture must be taken into account... One thing
>that slows down Macs is their CPUs handle EVERYTHING.  That includes mouse
>and keyboard activities, floppy/hard disk controls... Really slows things down.

   Don't be yellin' at me, _I_ didn't post that it made it run at IIci speeds,
in fact, I think that I said it wouldn't run at IIci speed. No way no how.
And if you're yelling at me for saying it wouldn't run at IIci speed, that's
pretty silly too, 'cuz as bad as Apple's software is, a 25MHz doin' bad will
still beat a 16MHz doin' good.

--

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (11/20/89)

In article <862@carroll1.UUCP> dnewton@carroll1.UUCP (Dave 'Post No Nicknames' Newton) writes:

>   Don't be yellin' at me, _I_ didn't post that it made it run at IIci speeds,
>in fact, I think that I said it wouldn't run at IIci speed. No way no how.
>And if you're yelling at me for saying it wouldn't run at IIci speed, that's
>pretty silly too, 'cuz as bad as Apple's software is, a 25MHz doin' bad will
>still beat a 16MHz doin' good.
>

>--
>David L. Newton       | uunet!marque!carroll1!dnewton  | The Raging Apostle--

You completely missed my point.  I made no mention at all to the '030 for ST
that supposedly runs at IIci speeds.  I was referring to the comment about the
TT's 030 running at 16Mhz.  Your last sentence is not always true, either.
Look at the current STs, for example.  Take the JATO 16Mhz board.  Gee wiz, it
runs at 16Mhz, so it should be twice as fast as an 8Mhz ST, right?

Wrong.  Other aspects of the hardware limit the speed increase.  Drastically.

A 25MHz "doin' bad" can be worse than an 8Mhz doing average.

Mike

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/03/89)

The referecned article states that since the proposed Gadgets 68030 board
runs at 16 mhz, and the Mac IIci runs at 25 mhz, the Mac will be faster.

	One option I am very much pulling for is a 32 Mhz clockrate on the
68030 board. It's available and it keeps the bus synchronous.

	We hope to see first prototype boards around Christmas. Remember,
this project is primarily for us, for inhouse development; the decision to
market it to the general public has not been made. I'd like to turn loose
a 32 Mhz 68030 on some of my assembly projects -- and none of this waiting
for 8 mhz ST hardware, either.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets by Small

	hplabs!wel dsmall