[comp.sys.atari.st] Vapourware!!!

rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) (11/10/89)

I've seen a the NEXT machine.  It is very real.

Ron Abramson  rona@hpdml92.HP.COM

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/10/89)

In article <1989Nov8.182505.11625@uunet!unhd>, al770@uunet!unhd (Anthony   Lapadula) writes:

> Greg Csullog wrote:
>
> > Why do some many netters bash Atari in the Atari forum? If you hate Atari
> > so much, get on the Mac or PC forum circuit and stop suffering. Let us
> > Atari users have fun without having to listen to your bitching.
>
> It's not that we hate Atari(1), it's just frustrating to see good
> products buried because they're late.
>
> -- Anthony Lapadula
>
> (1)  I do resent being told in late '85 that my 1040ST would indeed
> be able to use the Blitter, which, of course, was due out RSN.  Don't
> know if I should blame my dealer or Atari, but the example stands.

Anthony Lapadula expressed my sentiments exactly!!
My complaint (call it whining or bitching if it pleases you)
has centered around Atari's lack new products and of poor
support for existing products. I still enjoy using my Mega ST4
and wouldn't want a Macintosh (well maybe a Mac IIci :-) ).

and Atari has a long history of lying to their customers dating back
to the promised Blitter chips for the 520/1040STs. Atari's attitude has
been "We will promise you anything to get you to buy our product, but
don't hold us to our promise". Also, Atari has said if you want the Blitter
buy a Mega ST. Now, the Mega STers have to downgrade to the 1040STE to get
the new stereo sound and hardware scrolling it it. What kind of treatment is
this?? I, for one, bought my Mega ST because of its superior keyboard. I don't
want to go back to a 1040STE with its keyboard just to get some HW improvments.

So, what else can a long time Atari SUPPORTER do?? Obviously the Tramiels
don't listen to their DEALERS or their CUSTMOERS.

My local Atari dealer is going to COMDEX next weeek. I can't wait to see what
he reports back about Atari's presence at COMDEX.

Rich Covert

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (11/11/89)

In article <480035@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) writes:
>I've seen the NEXT machine.  It is very real.
 I've seen the NeXT machine.  It is very slow.
     :-)
     (Display postscript... bleah...)
                                                    - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |
| Elfinkind, Unite! | phoenix@ukma.bitnet | PLink: Skywise | QLink: Bearclaw |

a23@mindlink.UUCP (Joel Murray) (11/11/89)

> rona writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <480035@hpdml93.HP.COM>
>
> Org.  : Hewlett Packard - Boise, ID
> Person: Ron Abramson
>

> I've seen a the NEXT machine.  It is very real.
>
> Ron Abramson  rona@hpdml92.HP.COM

So have I--at the University of British Columbia Bookstore--for sale.

I have also seen a Portfolio, also for sale.

I have also seen a STacy (at the Pacific Rim Computer and Communications
Exhibition)--not for sale anywhere in Vancouver, BC, though.

    //    ///      CIS: 73200,3117
  \X/oel ///urray  Usenet: a23@mindlink.UUCP

mboen@nixpbe.UUCP (Martin Boening) (11/12/89)

A couple of weeks ago, c't computers tested teh NeXT. They worked with a
NeXT machine of some company in Kiel, I believe. This NeXT was, at that
time, THE ONLY NeXT COMPUTER available in Germany. Just one machine, right.
So, should we all call the NeXT vapourware, over here?

Martin

--
Email: in the   USA ->  ...!uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mboening.pad
       outside  USA ->  {...!mcvax}!unido!nixpbe!mboening.pad

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

Golly... I just played with a NExT computer at a local "computer swap meet"..

BusinessLand was exhibiting them to a large crowd... guess what the Atari
Corp representation was..??

One local Atari users' group had a booth, and one local dealer had an ST
for sale, not running, not on display.. (the Amigas took all the room)

Hard to make a comparison between the NExt, which is available NOW, on sale
at locations across the USA, and the various Atari vapor systems which are
still only seen at closed trade shows.

BobR

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

Anthony Lapadula states:

>(1)  I do resent being told in late '85 that my 1040ST would indeed
>be able to use the Blitter, which, of course, was due out RSN.  Don't
>know if I should blame my dealer or Atari, but the example stands.

Your dealer has nothing to do with the lies Atari tell you.. if they
don't ship him the products they have promised you, he can't sell them
to you...

Sam Tramiel, President of Atari Corp promised, on a TV show called something
like "the Computer Show" that all STs would have a blitter upgrade made
available...    something like a year later, Atari finally admitted the lie,
and made the excuse that the FCC wouldn't let them do it...

You've simply been the victim of believing the Atari lie... how many times
will they sucker you in..?

BobR

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/13/89)

R'ykandar Korra'ti says:

> I've seen the NeXT machine.  It is very slow.

The NeXT may be slow by your standards, but if your applications depended
on running on an Atari TT/ATW/STE  they'd be even slower... those machines
don't even exist as commercial products yet.

You can either run your applications on a NeXT *now* or wait and wait and
wait for an Atari product to eventually show up.

BobR

parsons@b.ee.engr.uky.edu (Greg Parsons) (11/14/89)

     I have just finished reading your series of six or so messages bashing
Atari Corporation.  I have one point to make:

                    GIVE IT A REST!!!

     I'd say that almost everyone on the net knows of Atari's previous
terrible policies, screwups, lies, etc.  It's possible that Atari WILL
put out the TT/STE/ATW.  A previous posting on here from has already
said that the ATW _was_ available in Europe.  I don't know whether
Atari is going to really do something nice or screw it up again,
but the point is that we already KNOW about the stuff you've posted
about, and we're hoping that it'll turn around.

--
parsons@b.ee.engr.uky.edu
Born with a stearing wheel in my hand, and lead in my feet!

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (11/14/89)

Don't forget that the NeXT uses the optical storage disk.  That has to
slow it down terribly.  I know that an 800Mb 28ms drive is available, but it
seems kind of silly to have both forms of media in the computer.  Especially
if the optical drive available is only 550Mb.  It would probably be much
better if the NeXT were to come with an 800Mb hard drive as the default
drive and use the Optical Drive just for removeable storage.  An entire
Licensed Program Product would be available on one disk then and the ussual
UNIX installation and upgrading nightmare would be avoided.

Mark Lehmann
--
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (11/16/89)

>How many netters have actually used a NeXT computer or even seen one. Just
>because YOU have not seen one does not mean it does not exist or it is
>vapourware. The same goes for the TT, the ATW, the STACY, the LYNX.

On the subject of future machines, I recenetly read that the
availability of the new "STE and TT" machines would be announced in
Feburary of next year."  The STE will apparently be '030 based and
have something like 1000x7000 colour pixels.  Cost for one of these
will be about $1,600.  That's a fairly amazing price for a 68030 box.

Does anyone have the real dope on when we can expect an '030 Atari
machine in the states and will it really be inexpensive?  I've been
thinking about getting something cheap just for music applications
(cheap meaning the Mac is too expensive) and the MEGA fills the bill,
but with the '030 based Atari's just around the corner.... well.

Any details?

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (11/17/89)

1000x7000 PIXELS?  You sure about that?

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
| John A. Dutka  (jdutka)  | You've heard of the SI system of units, and the |
| WPI                      | British system of units.  Well, now, we've got  |
| 100 Institute Road       | the WPI System of Units (WSU).  More later.     |
| Box 2308                 +-------------------------------------------------+
| Worcester, MA 01609-2280 |      BITNET: jdutka@wpi.bitnet                  |
| United States of America |    INTERNET: jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu                 |
| (508) 755-7128           |      USENET: husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka               |
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (11/17/89)

In article <9802@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@ads.com (John Nelson) writes:
>On the subject of future machines, I recenetly read that the
>availability of the new "STE and TT" machines would be announced in
>Feburary of next year."  The STE will apparently be '030 based and
>have something like 1000x7000 colour pixels.  Cost for one of these
>will be about $1,600.  That's a fairly amazing price for a 68030 box.

Shall we shoot him now, or torture him before we put him out of our
misery?

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
sgrimm@sun.com		...!sun!sgrimm

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (11/17/89)

In article <34785@grapevine.uucp> koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) writes:
>Shall we shoot him now, or torture him before we put him out of our
>misery?

Now now now, let's be patient.  This is what I read in a UK mag.  I
know the STE is out already in Europe and not available here.  The
announcement will be made in Feburary.  If you have better information
then share it with us.

Considering that Atari Corporation refuses to tell me ANYTHING about
these boxes, it shouldn't be surprising that a lot of vapour is
floating around.  Quite rude too.

Since I posted the article on the STE I've discovered that it is
really much more scaled down than the TT.  Apparently it will have a
mere 1 meg internal RAM with a better colour pallete and an 8-bit PCM
sound chip AND SIMM slots... APPARENTLY.  Who knows what Atari will
announce.

JALKIO@cc.helsinki.fi (Jouni Alkio, University of Helsinki, Finland) (11/18/89)

In article <9823@zodiac.ADS.COM>, jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) writes:

> Since I posted the article on the STE I've discovered that it is
> really much more scaled down than the TT.  Apparently it will have a
> mere 1 meg internal RAM with a better colour pallete and an 8-bit PCM
> sound chip AND SIMM slots... APPARENTLY.  Who knows what Atari will
> announce.

Well, the STE is only a ST with those additional features you mentioned.
It certainly doesn't have a 68030, as you earlier mentioned!

> John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
> Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
> 1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

ralph (Ralph P. Sobek) (11/20/89)

In article <13200@s.ms.uky.edu> phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) writes:
|  In article <480035@hpdml93.HP.COM> rona@hpdml93.HP.COM (Ron Abramson) writes:
|  >I've seen the NEXT machine.  It is very real.
|   I've seen the NeXT machine.  It is very slow.
|       :-)
|       (Display postscript... bleah...)
|                                                      - R'ykandar.

Well, all that depends...  I've seen other machines which display
PostScript on the screen, and they were much slower for that than th NeXT!
All this is like comparing apples (no pun intended) and oranges.

Ralph P. Sobek			  Disclaimer: The above ruminations are my own.
ralph@laas.laas.fr			   Addresses are ordered by importance.
ralph@laas.uucp, or ...!uunet!mcvax!laas!ralph		If all else fails, try:
SOBEK@FRMOP11.BITNET				      sobek@eclair.Berkeley.EDU
Upon the instruments of death the sunlight brightly gleams.   --   King Crimson

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/21/89)

David Meile says a lot of uninformed stuff about Atari history...

I'm sorry if you haven't been able to keep up with the Atari world in the
last few years..  I know that it's hard to stay informed if your only
source of information is the "major" Atari magazines.

If you were involved with any of the online services where Neil Harris
held court, or followed Atari Corp happenings in the media, you'd have been
able to follow this discussion intelligently.

Neil Harris was the "Director of Marketing Information" (or some such
nonsense) for years.  As such, he was the "official mouthpiece" of
Atari Corp..  He promised the blitter upgrade, many times..  officially.

Sam Tramiel is the Chief Executive Officer of Atari Corp.  He promised the
blitter upgrade on television, in answer to a caller's question. (Sorry if
you missed that.. it was prominently publicized on the national information
services).

If you're satisfied with the performance of Atari Corp,. then that's just
fine...  for you.

I'd still like to see what would happen if the proper Federal agencies
became involved in this scam...

BobR

davidli@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Dave Meile) (11/22/89)

In article <24310@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>David Meile says a lot of uninformed stuff about Atari history...

Well, actually, none of it was "uninformed".  You might think I don't have
the "whole story", but your use of the term is deragatory in this particular
case.  And the last name is Paschall-Zimbel, although the account name is
still the one before my recent marriage.

>If you were involved with any of the online services where Neil Harris
>held court, or followed Atari Corp happenings in the media, you'd have been
>able to follow this discussion intelligently.

Yes, I was around on GEnie back in the good old days of 1986.  No, I don't
remember reading anything which was labelled "OFFICAL PROMISE" from Neil
Harris.  I sure hope you kept copies of each and every posting -- and if
you really want to be believed on this point, POST THE COPIES.  Same goes for
"Official Promises" made by any of the Tramiels in response to phone-in
questions -- if it isn't written up in a press release, with specs and
ordering information, it isn't "official" ... off-the-cuff remarks
notwithstanding.

>I'd still like to see what would happen if the proper Federal agencies
>became involved in this scam...

If you believe that there were criminal actions worth looking into, quit
posting this drivel, take your evidence directly to the Attorney General of
the State of California and sit back fat and happy.  Otherwise, I'd suggest
you drop the term "scam".

-- David Paschall-Zimbel

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/22/89)

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:

| Neil Harris was the "Director of Marketing Information" [...]
| He promised the blitter upgrade, many times..  officially.

Bob, I can't speak for Dave Meile, although I have the highest respect
for him, but _I_ have been an Atari follower for many years, in the
mags, online, and in news media.  I can not remember a single time that
anyone from Atari officially announced availability of a BLiTTER
upgrade for 520s or 1040s.  I _do_ remember that Neil and others
mentioned that it was being worked on.  I guess you just heard what
you wanted to.

One other thing - I never would have come to work for this company if
I thought that its basis of operation was fraudulent.  Your innuendo is
getting extremely tiresome on the net, and the only reason I bothered to
respond to this particular message was to toss some facts at your attack
on Neil Harris.  If it is your intention to chase all Atari personnel off
the net with your venom, then believe me, you are coming close to succeeding.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

karl@es56.UUCP (Karl Rowley) (11/23/89)

I have been reading this newsgroup from the beginning, and I know that
Neil Harris did state very clearly a number of times that the blitter
upgrade would be available for the 520 ST and 1040 ST.  Since he worked
for Atari at that time, the statements were assumed to have some
credibility.

I know a number of us became skeptical some time ago about Atari's
committment to the blitter.  When some of us expressed our doubts on
Usenet, we were told by Neil that the blitter upgrade was still planned.

No, I haven't saved all my old email and news messages -- I am just
recalling events as I remember them.  I anticipate flamage, so I will
be waiting by my mailbox with a bucket of cold water.

				Karl Rowley
				Evans and Sutherland Computer Division
				Mountain View, California, USA
				escd!karl@decwrl.dec.com
				...!ames!amdahl!escd!karl

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/23/89)

Replying to Ken Badertscher's comments...

Ken, one thing I think should be made clear.. I have the utmost respect
for you, and Alan, and all the others who are trying to improve the state
of the Atari line of computers.  You've all been doing a fine job at your
end of things.  Unfortunately the R&D department doesn't run Atari Corp.

I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for Neil Harris and (my opinion)
the Atari world is far better off that he's out of it.

It's true that there was never an official product announcement concerning
the blitter upgrade.  But..  Neil Harris and others from Atari went FAR
beyond  "mentioning that it was being worked on".  There were technical
details of the upgrades given, timeframes for delivery of the upgrade and
even prices.  I believe it was the "daughterboard" version of the upgrade
including the blitter and the 6 ROM set of TOS 1.2 that had a price of
$120 given.  Later, when it was decided to do motherboard swaps instead of
a hardware add-on, another price (which I can't recall exactly now) was
given, for the motherboard swap through Atari dealers.  Again, this is
going far beyond "mentioning that it was being worked on".

The whole episode was poorly handled, which is my entire point.  By feeding
the customers' desires for an upgrade to existing equipment, Atari created
an expectation which they ended up not delivering on.

Another point:  If Atari was behaving in a credible and responsible manner,
there would be no reason for all the dissatisfaction that is rampant.
There would be no reason for the volume of complaints and  "venom"..
Yes, I may be one of the most vocal critics, but you'll have to admit
that I'm not by any means the only one.

As I've said before, give us something to be proud of (not you personally,
but Atari Corp) and I'll be first to praise Atari for its accomplishments,
as strongly as I criticize it for its shortcomings.

BobR

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/24/89)

I distinctly remember Neil Harris saying that on GEnie too.  We all can't
be wrong.

Chris Mauritz

--
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (11/24/89)

in article <24384@cup.portal.com>, Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com says:

> Replying to Ken Badertscher's comments...
>
> I have absolutely no respect whatsoever for Neil Harris and (my opinion)
> the Atari world is far better off that he's out of it.
>
> [.....]
>
> BobR

Fine. Can you please DROP the whole Neil Harris thing now? Haven't we heard
enough of this attitude that you have towards him? Personally, I am tired of
all of your messages regarding this subject and most of all NO ONE CARES!!

So, please drop the whole issue and move on. It's history. Forget it.

-- John Townsend					ames!atari!towns

The above opinions are MINE and not Atari Corporation's. Please do not
interpret them as the offical opinions of Atari or anyone else.

bammi@dsrgsun.ces.cwru.edu (Jwahar R. Bammi) (11/24/89)

i dont know why so many people are wasting so much netbandwidth, flinging mud
etc over the blitter. just grab a hold of the PD quickSt or buy a
copy of TurboSt. for 99.99% of the stuff they perform as well or better than
the blitter (to convince yourself try them out).
--

bang:   {any internet host}!dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
domain: bammi@dsrgsun.ces.CWRU.edu

pa1329@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (pa1329) (11/24/89)

vapo(u)rware! vapo(u)rware!  the 64-bit Atari SF is vaporware, too!

(just joking)

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (11/25/89)

In article <1817@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>
>| Neil Harris was the "Director of Marketing Information" [...]
>| He promised the blitter upgrade, many times..  officially.
>
>Bob, I can't speak for Dave Meile, although I have the highest respect
>for him, but _I_ have been an Atari follower for many years, in the
>mags, online, and in news media.  I can not remember a single time that
>anyone from Atari officially announced availability of a BLiTTER
>upgrade for 520s or 1040s.  I _do_ remember that Neil and others
>mentioned that it was being worked on.  I guess you just heard what
>you wanted to.

When Neil Harris was an Atari employee he mentioned on GEnie that the blitter
upgrade would be available to 1040 owners.  He did not just say that it was
"being worked on".  Atari failed to deliver.  Atari's behavior is familiar to
those of us who owned Commodore computers during the Tramiels' tenure there.
Products were shown at trade shows but never delivered, the FCC was blamed for
late products, etc.  At least the Tramiels' Commodore sold millions of the
products it did have, something that the Tramiels' Atari has not been able to
do.  The machine I thought would be the "poor man's Mac" turned out to be "the
rich man's Commodore 64."  I must say, though, that the hardware is much more
reliable that the C64's and it's a lot better for C hacking.
--
----
Bob Rogers                    rogers@stpaul.ncr.com  or  rogers@pnet51.cts.com

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (11/27/89)

Just to clear up what seems to be a general misunderstanding:

David Paschall-Zimbel says:
>Yes, I was around on GEnie back in the good old days of 1986.  No, I don't
>remember reading anything which was labelled "OFFICAL PROMISE" from Neil
>Harris.

Neil Harris was the *OFFICIAL* representative of Atari Corp.  *ANYTHING*
he said, unless specifically accompanied by a disclaimer to the contrary
was  *OFFICIAL*  from Atari Corp.

It was HE who _insisted_ on adding the wording "Official On-Line Service
of Atari Corp" to the log-on message.  He enjoyed the limelight and perks
of being the "Official Atari Rep", even thought he generally tried to
duck the responsibility and work that went along with them.

Atari Corp *themselves* acknowledged his "official" capacity several times
when they came down on him for overstepping what they wanted revealed to
the public.  The premature release of pricing on the Megas was one of these
times.

So when Neil Harris would say something like "the Blitter upgrade will cost
$120 including the daughterboard and TOS 1.2 ROMS, and it will have to be
installed by a local dealer", this was *NOT*  just some flunky employee
spouting off unofficial rumors.

Yes, I *do* have copies of virtually everything that went on during that
time, including public messages, conferences and private "nasty-grams"
from Neil Harris.  No, I don't plan on wasting my time searching them just
to fill in faulty or selective memories.

Most people did not attend _every_ conference, or read _every_ public
message.  I did, and I heard enough claims and announcements of the blitter
upgrade from the "Official" Atari Representative.

BobR

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (11/28/89)

In article <24502@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
[lots of stuff about GEnie and Neil Harris, the thrust of which is that he
 thinks Atari lied to him]

Unless you have some point to make, can we stop this discussion?  What do
you expect to gain by all this?  Do you expect Atari to say, "Oh!  Sorry,
I guess we promised it, and we really developed it, so you'll have yours
tomorrow!" or somesuch?  If you do, you're being very naive.  If you don't,
why carry on with what seems like pointless, petty bickering over a moot
point?  It's not helping anyone, and it's not going to accomplish anything.

If you must reply, please use E-mail so nobody else has to pay to get this
"discussion."

---

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (11/29/89)

In article <24502@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>Just to clear up what seems to be a general misunderstanding:
>
>David Paschall-Zimbel says:
>>Yes, I was around on GEnie back in the good old days of 1986.  No, I don't
>>remember reading anything which was labelled "OFFICAL PROMISE" from Neil
>>Harris.
>
>Neil Harris was the *OFFICIAL* representative of Atari Corp.  *ANYTHING*
>he said, unless specifically accompanied by a disclaimer to the contrary
>was  *OFFICIAL*  from Atari Corp.

In the October, 1986 issue of "COMPUTE!'s Atari ST" magazine Atari President
Sam Tramiel said (interview, "Sam Tramiel Speaks Out", p21):

"When the blit is ready, your 520 and your 1040 will be upgradable with the
blitter.  We're working that out.  There will be no problem for both STs to
take the blit."

What might explain this sort of behavior on Atari's part?  Perhaps the answer
is contained in an interview with Jack Tramiel that appeared in the Winter,
1986 issue of "STart".

The interviewer said: "The Wall Street Journal wrote, 'Commodore under Jack
Tramiel was notorious for announcing products that never made it to
retailers' shelves.'  That's a perception that must create difficulty in
dealing with retailers."

Jack replied: "The retailers, or anyone else I would have problems with - they
do not understand the market, and they must be selling other products than mine
so they like to say what I'm doing is wrong.  When you plan a product that
normally takes 12 months or longer better technology can be produced during
that time.  Then it's important to kill the product before it reaches the
market because it's very expensive to kill after it comes out.  I am not afraid
to announce my intentions, but I'm very careful before I put it on a dealer's
shelf.  Anyway, I'm not working for the Wall Street Journal.  What they say
really doesnn't interest me."

--
----

achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu (anthony howe) (11/29/89)

>In article <24502@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>[lots of stuff about GEnie and Neil Harris, the thrust of which is that he
> thinks Atari lied to him]

Is there a way to modify the read-news kill-file so as to kill by author
rather than by subject? I'm rather sick of this person and the band
width that has been waste on such topics!

- ant
  achowe@tiger.waterloo.edu     | "It is hard to make the world go away
   _     -|-|_   _              |  when it has decided to notice you."
  (_\ |\| | | | (_) |\| \/      |  - Spock's World
                     ___/       |                        disclaimer...

krs@stag.UUCP (Kent Schumacher) (12/03/89)

[Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes...]
> [... nothing important deleted (nothing important kept, either) ...]
>
> Yes, I *do* have copies of virtually everything that went on during that
> time, including public messages, conferences and private "nasty-grams"
> from Neil Harris.  No, I don't plan on wasting my time searching them just
> to fill in faulty or selective memories.
>
> Most people did not attend _every_ conference, or read _every_ public
> message.  I did, and I heard enough claims and announcements of the blitter
> upgrade from the "Official" Atari Representative.
>
> BobR

*yawn*

OK Bob, you've convinced me.

Atari is the evil empire on earth.  Neil Harris was their point man
(possibly the devil incarnate?).  It's fortunate that we (that's us,
the forces of Good) were able to seperate Neil from Atari.

You've established that your dozens of earlier post's were justified, your
credibility has been proved impeccable.

It's a good thing you chose the route of posting repetitive emotional
messages on non-issues followed up by reactionary defensive postings to
establish your current exalted status.  Most people would have chosen the
more common method of posting well-thought out and objective messages on
interesting topics.

Please, do reply (directly of course, this is far too good for the general
populace).  I am always prepared to deal with your posts appropriately.

  - Kent Schumacher               It's...
    ardvar!krs@stag.UUCP
    GEnie: K.SCHUMACHE1