[comp.sys.atari.st] DC Formatter problems

BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) (12/03/89)

Could someone please reitterate the problems with DC Formatter's format
routine?  I remember some net space being devoted to it, but I had not had
any problems, so I didn't really look at it.  Now, two of my floppys have
bitten the dust, for no apparent reason, and I become concerned.  Please
include which version is flawed (if it is flawed), I have both 3.01 and
3.02, and would like to know if there is any advantage to using one over the
other.  Also, is it true that an ACC version is available via Shareware cost?
I have not yet gotten around to sending it in!

Bob Marley

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (12/04/89)

In article <891202130458427.GKWQ@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU> BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) writes:
>Could someone please reitterate the problems with DC Formatter's format
>routine?  I remember some net space being devoted to it, but I had not had
>any problems, so I didn't really look at it.  Now, two of my floppys have
>bitten the dust, for no apparent reason, and I become concerned.  Please
>include which version is flawed (if it is flawed), I have both 3.01 and
>3.02, and would like to know if there is any advantage to using one over the
>other.  Also, is it true that an ACC version is available via Shareware cost?
>I have not yet gotten around to sending it in!
>

>Bob Marley

Version 3.02 fixes a bug which existed in the verify routine.

The problem would occur if a bad sector was encountered on one of the first two
tracks.  An alert would come up and say '0 bad sectors.  Mark bad?'

If you marked them bad (or even if you didn't) the disk was unusable.  V 3.02
has an alert that comes up and says 'Error in FAT/BOOT sectors'  and that is
that.  If an error in format occurs on the first two tracks, the disk is not
usable.

DCF 3.2 is available for a shareware fee (you decide how much).  On the disk
that you get back, you get alot of our other programs too.  It is quite a
deal.

As for your disks getting trashed, disks have been known to go bad, and no
formatter can be flawed in such a way that they stop working after a given
amount of time...

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others