[comp.sys.atari.st] MOUSE PROBLEM

MAXG@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU ("Gerry Greenberg: 315-443-5378") (12/02/89)

Well, I'm having a problem that I would have never expected (the cause
of which, I believe, is my daughter's playing one of her favorite
games):  it seems that it is hard to get the mouse to recognize button
clicks.  It doesn't seem to be a problem with the contacts themselves,
because I can take apart the mouse and press the contacts with my
finger---and those clicks are recognized consistently.  It seems to be a
problem with the plastic housing.  When I look at the mouse from where
the cable comes out of it, the left button (which is on the right when
viewing the mouse from this perspective) is definately lower than the
other...especially toward the middle of the mouse.  I was really scared
for a few minutes at first, because the ST wasn't recognizing the clicks
AT ALL...After taking it apart, however, I seem to have gotten it back
to a point where it recognizes clicks...but it is not consistent.
Does anybody have any suggestions? or do I just have to continue to
click hard, until the thing dies altogether?
As always, thanks in advance for any advice.
---Gerry
maxg@suvm         (bitnet)
ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu     (internet)

pa1323@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Some call me...Tim) (12/04/89)

In article <8912020824.AA28427@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> MAXG@SUVM.ACS.SYR.EDU ("Gerry Greenberg: 315-443-5378") writes:
>Well, I'm having a problem that I would have never expected (the cause
>of which, I believe, is my daughter's playing one of her favorite
>games):  it seems that it is hard to get the mouse to recognize button
>clicks.  ...

I had this problem with two different ST mice, and a friend gave me
this suggestion (from his own experience):  Put several layers of
paper between the plastic "arm" of the button and the actual switch.

Depending on the seriousness of the problem, different thicknesses
of the paper work...but when I did this, the problem completely
vanished for several months.  (until a "friend" played a game on it
REAL hard, and I had to replace the paper--it works again, though).

If it doesn't work--well, you can't complain about the cost, right?

Tim Mensch.