[comp.sys.atari.st] 'Form' math prog details....

JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) (11/29/89)

      Does anyone have any details on the Form symbolic math program?
What is the minumum set-up it takes.... etc.  Use, applications.....

      Thanks for any info.
-------
*       J.J.        *             JJL101@psuvm.bitnet              *
*                   *    Penn State Center for Academic Computing  *
*    John Lehett    *          Computational Mathematics           *

t68@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Jos Vermaseren) (11/29/89)

Hi,

The files with FORM (like the readme) tell most of the
story, but for people who would like to know before they
unpack:

FORM needs a 1 Mbyte Atari with a hard disk.
It is very good with the standard symbolic expressions
(multivariate polynomials, functions) and in addition
it knows vectors and indices.
It has exptensive capabilities for pattern matching when
making substitutions.
It is set up for very large expressions and is by far the
fastest program for such big expressions that I know of.
(big means > 10^5 terms)
It has most of the features of a regular programming language
and then some.

It does NOT have a large knowledge library like maple, mathematica
reduce and macsyma. You will have to provide the algorithms for
solving difficult problems yourself. This is what you have to
do most of the time anyway when you have large problems.
Such algorithms can be stored inside procedures that can be picked up
dynamically. (They are in the regular FORM language).

There is a manual with many examples.

(this is if you can read the dvi file)

Jos Vermaseren

Disclamor:
This cannot possibly represent the opinion of my employer.
Guess why.....

suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) (12/01/89)

In article <89332.135731JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET> JJL101@PSUVM.BITNET (J.J. Lehett) writes:

>      Does anyone have any details on the Form symbolic math program?
>What is the minumum set-up it takes.... etc.  Use, applications.....

In manual (or in readme-file) it says that FORM needs 1M RAM and a HD
(not sure about that; I just feel I read it from somewhear). But I think
you should be able to use it at lest for small problems with SS floppy
disk and 1M memory. I have used FORM 1 (one!) day with my 1M 520ST and
a HD. It works really fine!!!  I think FORM is one of the best programs
I have for my ST.

Hope this helps a little...

--
Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
                     I logged in, therefor I am

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/05/89)

In article <2230@tukki.jyu.fi>, suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi (Timo Suhonen) writes:
> In manual (or in readme-file) it says that FORM needs 1M RAM and a HD
> (not sure about that; I just feel I read it from somewhear). But I think
> you should be able to use it at lest for small problems with SS floppy
> disk and 1M memory. I have used FORM 1 (one!) day with my 1M 520ST and
> a HD. It works really fine!!!  I think FORM is one of the best programs
> I have for my ST.
>
> Hope this helps a little...
>
> --
> Timo Suhonen                                           suhonen@tukki.jyu.fi
>                      I logged in, therefor I am

Could someone please repost the manual to FORM in ASCII?? I have it in the
DVI format and I don't have the proper DVI tools to convert it to
ASCII.

Other than that I haven't looked at FORM.

Does anyone know how to get DVI to work on an Apollo UNIX based workstation?

I don't have any files for my Apollo for DVI. If I could get DVI working on my
Apollo I would repost the manual in ASCII myself.

--
 Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
  (602) - 581-4652