[comp.sys.atari.st] Placement of TOS 1.4

asqb-sep-a@HUACHUCA-EMH2.ARMY.MIL (ASQB-SEP-A HQ USAISEC) (12/03/89)

I picked up TOS 4.1 today -- had to drive to Phoenix (I live in Tucson
and we have no ATARI dealer) to get it.

I was wondering if anyone can help me with the correct placement of
the TOS 1.4 chips?

I tried two different iterations:

      A.    L0
            L1
            L2
            H0
            H1
            H2

      B.    L0
            H0
            L1
            H1
            L2
            H2

These configurations are in a 520 ST that's been upgraded to 1M via
piggyback.

My TOS 1.0 was in the following configuration:

            --------0
            --------1
            --------2
            --------3
            --------4
            --------5

Can't remember the numbers in front, but you get the idea.

In either configuration the screen (mono) stays dark and nothing
happens.  Was just going to try a few more configs but thought I
would ask first and save the wear and tear on the pins ;-).

Thanks for the help.

Mark R

USAISEC -- the guys who have to move to the People's Republic of
            Massachusetts

Computer Systems Engineering

# All opinions are strictly mine and in no way reflect the opinions or
# policies of the US Army.

powers@engles.enet.dec.com (Bill Powers) (12/04/89)

In article <8912030811.AA08915@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
asqb-sep-a@HUACHUCA-EMH2.ARMY.MIL (ASQB-SEP-A HQ USAISEC) writes:
> I was wondering if anyone can help me with the correct placement of
> the TOS 1.4 chips?
>
> I tried two different iterations:
>
>       A.    L0
>             L1
>             L2
>             H0
>             H1
>             H2
>
>       B.    L0
>             H0
>             L1
>             H1
>             L2
>             H2

     This problem hit me too, when I received my chips via mail, all I got
was the 6 chips.  Don't pay any attention to the L&H numbers, there are
other numbers on the chip, that read in ascending order.  There are
equivalent numbers on the roms that are already on the 1.0 roms.  You need
to put the new eproms in the same ascending order.  I can't remember
the exact pattern that resulted of the L&H numbers, but was one of the
following on my 1040st.

  H2 H1 H0
  L2 L1 L0

     or

  H0 H1 H2
  L0 L1 L2

Bill Powers
----
Digital Equipment Corp. - Advanced Service Delivery Systems - Stow MA
The opinions expressed above are my own, not my employers, so there.
TELEPHONE - (508) 496 - 8725
E-MAIL - powers@harpo.enet.dec.com
       - ...!decwrl!harpo!powers

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (12/05/89)

In article <8912030811.AA08915@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> asqb-sep-a@HUACHUCA-EMH2.ARMY.MIL (ASQB-SEP-A HQ USAISEC) writes:

>I picked up TOS 4.1 today -- had to drive to Phoenix (I live in Tucson
>and we have no ATARI dealer) to get it.
>
>I was wondering if anyone can help me with the correct placement of
>the TOS 1.4 chips?

I looked at the top line of numbers in my 1.0 ROMS

   C026160-001
   C026161-001
   C026162-001
   C026163-001
   C026164-001
   C026165-001

then (ignoring the H0, L0, etc.) looked at the similarly sequenced
(???0 thru ???5) numbers on the 1.4's and dropped 'em one for one.

Cranked right up!

>Thanks for the help.
>
>Mark R
>
>USAISEC -- the guys who have to move to the People's Republic of
>            Massachusetts
>
>Computer Systems Engineering
>
># All opinions are strictly mine and in no way reflect the opinions or
># policies of the US Army.

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.