[comp.sys.atari.st] Rainbow TOS Porblems

rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) (11/29/89)

 Hello,
 yesterday I got a version of the TOS 1.4 as a disk version.
It runs very well on my 520 ST with 2.5 MB RAM, but there was a
littele problem: I started Omicron Basic and it told to me about
400kB of free memory. By using the developer version of the 08/08/88
it tolds me sthing. about 2MB of free memory. Is this an error in my copy
or a bug in the TOS 1.4 ????

mfG Waldi
*  Dirk Rode                   *   UUCP: ...!unido!uniol!rode          *
*  Zwischenahner Str. 64       *   Bitnet:   077481@Doluni1.Bitnet     *
*  2910 Howiek                 *   Nickname: Waldi                     *
*  Irre oder nicht Irre ...         ************************************
***************************    DAS ist hier die Frage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  *
*  Arbeitsgruppe Rechnerbetrieb Informatik der                         *
*  Universitaet Oldenburg (FB 10 - ARBI)                               *

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/01/89)

rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) writes:
|  yesterday I got a version of the TOS 1.4 as a disk version.
Aieeee!!!  Where did you get it?  Aren't ROMs available where you live?

I _strongly_ advise against using _any_ disk based version of TOS,
especially if you don't know its lineage.  TOS ROMs have been available
for years, and Rainbow TOS ROMs now for months (UK users aside - but
that's another story, and hopefully one that is getting fixed).

I'd like to echo the sentiments of another article here recently:
How can Atari be expected to support an operating system if we don't know
what's _really_ in it?

Caveat Emptor.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/01/89)

rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) writes:
> yesterday I got a version of the TOS 1.4 as a disk version.

The rest of your message doesn't matter.

DO NOT USE DISK VERSIONS OF TOS 1.4 ANY MORE.

If you experience the same problem with a ROM (EPROM) version of TOS
1.4, then you can start blaming it on the application or TOS. Not until
then.  The disk-based version was for developers to get a taste of TOS
1.4 early, and IT IS NOT A PRODUCT SUPPORTED BY ATARI.

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (12/02/89)

in article <1384@uniol.UUCP>, rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) says:

>  yesterday I got a version of the TOS 1.4 as a disk version.
> It runs very well on my 520 ST with 2.5 MB RAM, but there was a
> littele problem: I started Omicron Basic and it told to me about
> 400kB of free memory. By using the developer version of the 08/08/88
> it tolds me sthing. about 2MB of free memory. Is this an error in my copy
> or a bug in the TOS 1.4 ????
>
> mfG Waldi
> --
[longish signature deleted..]

Warning! The TOS version that you are using on disk is an early BETA version
of TOS 1.4 and is probably LOADED with lots of nice bugs. Please destroy
that disk ASAP and then goto to your local dealer and purchase the real
upgrade on ROM.

This will probably clear up any problems you are experiencing..

-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
   Systems Test, Atari Corporation

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (12/03/89)

In article <1844@atari.UUCP>, towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) writes...

>in article <1384@uniol.UUCP>, rode@uniol.UUCP (Dirk Rode) says:

(original deleted)

>Warning! The TOS version that you are using on disk is an early BETA version
>of TOS 1.4 and is probably LOADED with lots of nice bugs. Please destroy
>that disk ASAP and then goto to your local dealer and purchase the real
>upgrade on ROM.

What's a local dealer?

>This will probably clear up any problems you are experiencing..
>
>-- John Townsend				ames!atari!towns
>   Systems Test, Atari Corporation
(this prevents me from even thinking about the upgrade)
| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Graham Thomas) (12/05/89)

From article <1838@atari.UUCP>, by kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher):
..
> especially if you don't know its lineage.  TOS ROMs have been available
> for years, and Rainbow TOS ROMs now for months (UK users aside - but
> that's another story, and hopefully one that is getting fixed).
..
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Thanks for all your efforts on behalf of us stranded UK users, Ken.
I'm going to wait until after Christmas and then start asking Atari UK
about this again.  Hopefully, by then dealers will have the TOS 1.4
ROMs and I won't have to start hassling.

Incidentally, the Stacy was given a big front-page review in the
December issue of the UK's leading micro mag, Personal Computer World,
so I expect to see real live Stacys very soon now.  After all, the
same mag put the Atari CD-ROM player on its front page in December
1987 issue, so I expect the mag will have taken steps to ensure
they're not fooled again into reviewing prominently something that
wasn't released.  (Surely??  Yes??)

--
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK
 JANET: grahamt@uk.ac.sussex.syma  EARN/BITNET: grahamt@syma.sussex.ac.uk

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/05/89)

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
| What's a local dealer?
| (this prevents me from even thinking about the upgrade)

Think again.  Atari has a service in place for users who don't have
dealers near them to get the Rainbow TOS upgrade installed.  Call Atari
Customer Service for information on how to get the upgrade.

--

towns@atari.UUCP (John Townsend) (12/05/89)

in article <2753@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) says:

> What's a local dealer?
>
> (this prevents me from even thinking about the upgrade)
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
> | Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
> | Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------+

If you call Customer Relations and speak with them, they can direct you to
the location that can help you. The phone number for Customer Relations is
(408)745-2367.

-- John

chris@ethz.UUCP (Christian Dreyer) (12/07/89)

I`ve upgraded my Mega 2 with the new 1.4-ROMs and they`re working without
any problem. The only problem is with the patches (TOSFIX.PRG I think they`re
called). Having booted with those in the AUTO-folder, my virus-killer
(Sagrotan 4.14) responds! Any suggestions? Thanks!

--
   $      Chris  Dreyer      St. Gall Graduate School for Economic and    $
   $      Student            Social Science, Switzerland                  $