[comp.sys.atari.st] Xformer II

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (12/01/89)

I have a few questions about Xformer:

  1.  What is the current version
  2.  What systems does it support now (ie.8bit,c64 appleII)
  3.  Just how fast is it now?
  4.  How easy is it to get the .SD files over now?
  5.  Where do I get a copy of the latest version?

I Thank you in advance for your information.

Troy Carpenter
Computer Sciences, THE University of Texas, Austin
psurge@cs.utexas.edu

Disclaimer: Why?

w-darekm@microsoft.UUCP (Darek Mihocka) (12/07/89)

In article <7264@cs.utexas.edu> psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) writes:
>I have a few questions about Xformer:
>
>  1.  What is the current version
>  2.  What systems does it support now (ie.8bit,c64 appleII)
>  3.  Just how fast is it now?
>  4.  How easy is it to get the .SD files over now?
>  5.  Where do I get a copy of the latest version?

Troy (or whatever),

1. The current version of ST Xformer II is 2.55. Version 2.6 will be released
   as soon as the Atari STE is released, so that I can add 16 grey level
   support and take advantage of the better sound and scrolling, but who knows
   when that will be. Sam Tramiel promised that the STE would ship in October,
   so I guess his word isn't worth spit.

2. 130XE only. Apple II and C-64 emulation were dropped so that I don't get
   sued by Apple and Commiedore.

3. 50% the speed of a 130XE, the best that can be done with a software only
   6502 interpreter. If you have Jim Allen's T16 board (the only accelerator
   board worth anything) it will run at up to 80% the speed of a 130XE.

4. Very easy. You don't even have to use .SD files. Just copy files directly
   from the 8-bit disk to the ST disk using DOS 2.5's Copy command.

5. The software is public domain, so you can download it from places like
   Compuserve or GEnie. Or you can get the disk and manual from me for $20.
   Or you can buy it from some Atari dealers, but be warned that all they do
   is download the stuff from Compuserve or GEnie and sell it to you at
   outrageous prices. I have nothing to do with that.

Also be warned that I have nothing to do with the manufacture or sale of
Xformer Cables. I placed the plans for those cables into the public domain
a year ago, and now some dealers are making their own cables and selling them.
I personally have come across a lot of bad cables. Pins are shorted together
and other goodies. So don't complain to me if you fry your ST.

With the Xformer Cable, you can run such disks as Atariwriter Plus,
B/Graph, Action and BASIC XL runtime packages, MAC/65, SpartaDOS, and even
Choplifter and Lode Runner, although a bit slowly.

- Darek

 || Branch Always Software || Darek Mihocka    || Quick ST/Index   $19.95 ||
 || PO Box 2624, Station B || (519)-747-0386   || Quick Utilities  $29.95 ||
 || Kitchener, Ont N2H 6N2 || CIS: 73657,2714  BIX, GEnie, Delphi: DAREKM ||
 || Canada  (519)-570-4340 || Quick Utilities on every desk in every home ||