[comp.sys.atari.st] SS -> DS drive upgrade

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (12/05/89)

 I have two friends who both have SS drives and would like to upgrade to DS
drives.  One has an old SF 314 with a corner button eject and the other
has a 520STfm.

1.  What is a reliable and cheap DS drive to buy as a replacement?  Netters
    have mentioned a Toshiba model several times.

2.  Are there any hardware changes that need to be made?  For example, if
    it can't normally recognize media changes.

3.  What is a good price for that drive and suggested place to purchase
    from?

4.  Any suggestions as to what to do with the old drive.

 Thanks for you're kind attention.

 BTW, one of these SS drive persons actually has the Atari color monitor
with disk drive built it (PS 300 or PS 3000)!

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

"And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
 Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball."
                                   A.A. Milne "Now We are Six"

clf3678@ultb.isc.rit.edu (C.L. Freemesser) (12/06/89)

In article <22194@brunix.UUCP> mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes:

> I have two friends who both have SS drives and would like to upgrade to DS
>drives.  One has an old SF 314 with a corner button eject and the other
>has a 520STfm.
>
>1.  What is a reliable and cheap DS drive to buy as a replacement?  Netters
>    have mentioned a Toshiba model several times.

Toshiba is a good choice.  There are others, but the Toshiba is widely
available, and as cheap as $68 or so.

>2.  Are there any hardware changes that need to be made?  For example, if
>    it can't normally recognize media changes.

I really don't think so.  The circuitry in both the external drive (the
PCB board) and in the STfm should take care of the media change problem.
If they do not, simply run a jumper between pins 2 and 28 of the drive's
34 pin card edge.

However, you might have a problem with the cables.  Depending on where
the connectors on the new drive (with respect to the old one) are
located, you might have to wire up some cable extensions.

>3.  What is a good price for that drive and suggested place to purchase
>    from?

Pay no more than $85 or so for a Toshiba.  Try to get an ND-354 or an
ND-352-A.  The 352-A, if I remember correctly, only requires the +12V
line.  If so, be sure to cut the +5V line coming from the circuit board.

>4.  Any suggestions as to what to do with the old drive.

Use it as a doorstop?  Seriously, just hold onto it.  Never know when
you might need it.

> Thanks for you're kind attention.
>
> BTW, one of these SS drive persons actually has the Atari color monitor
>with disk drive built it (PS 300 or PS 3000)!

If you plan on upgrading that PS-3000, be sure that drive has PLENTY of
shielding around it.  That CRT will play havoc on it.

Chris Freemesser, Rochester Institute of Technology :BITNET:%clf3678@RITVAX
    |||        ____________                         :GEnie: C.FREEMESSER
    |||       /___    /          (and 8-bit too!)   :USENET: clf3678@rit.isc
   / | \   ______/   /                              :        .edu
Call the A.C.O.R.N BBS (716)436-3078, 300/1200 baud :<-or my BBS

landry@enginr.dec.com (12/07/89)

In article <22194@brunix.UUCP>, mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) writes...
"
" I have two friends who both have SS drives and would like to upgrade to DS
"drives.  One has an old SF 314 with a corner button eject and the other
"has a 520STfm.
"
"1.  What is a reliable and cheap DS drive to buy as a replacement?  Netters
"    have mentioned a Toshiba model several times.
"
"2.  Are there any hardware changes that need to be made?  For example, if
"    it can't normally recognize media changes.
"
"3.  What is a good price for that drive and suggested place to purchase
"    from?

	Several sources can be found in the pages of Computer Shopper.
	Prices seem to range in the $65 - $75 range for either Teac or
	Toshiba and usually include the 5.25 mounting kit which you
	won't need.  I've listed a few sources below but can't advise
	you good or bad on any.  I have a drive on order from Gems but
	I picked them mostly 'cause they had some other stuff I needed.

	Gems Computers     408-988-0161
	Falcon Distributing  213-390-3955 (claims to beat any advertised price)
	PC Discount Center 312-390-7450
	Amax Applied Technology  818-282-9992

	Just noticed another one - This is a small classified ad listing
	various hard and floppy drives.   They list a 720k floppy for $45
	or $66 with the mounting kit.  No brand or model mentioned.
	Digital One 216-951-8088.

	chris