[comp.sys.atari.st] prototype cartridge board, and

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (12/07/89)

From article <1220@electro.UUCP>, by ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko):
writes:
	(earlier comments and interesting digitizer project deleted)

> while on the subject of cartridges: does ANYONE know of where you can get
> ** real ** prototype boards for the atari's cartridge port????
> --
> =====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
>      co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!
>        "I don't care if I don't win, 'cause I don't care if I fail"
>              from 'Youth Of Today' by SUBURBAN DISTORTION

I haven't gotten the latest E. Arthur Brown Catalog in, but they used
to carry such a board (or boards).  The one I'm thinking of had the
bus completely buffered, all you needed to add was your circuit on the
rest of the board.  EABCO (shorthand for the above company) may also have
had an adaptor board that allowed a Radio Shack (non-metric contact
spacing) proto-board to plug onto the bus directly.  I don't have
their address, in any case it was posted here recently(2x).  I don't know
if they ship overseas, but they provide *very* good service.  There
were more sources for protoboards (I too wanted to use the cart port
for my Sr. EE. project, used the parallel port instead <speed wasn't a prob>
8-)), but they disappeared fast.

Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu)

On another topic:

P.S. Steve Yelvington: (provider of EABCO address)
	I lost my flaming reply to your mention of EABCO (just as well
8-)).  I buy from EABCO, I have and use WordWriter's outliner, I will
look into getting foldEd, who's name is suggestive of what I want.
	I meant to say that there was a small and shrinking amt of
*large* *world-class* S/W applications (in the USA).  Only in desktop
publishing and music does the ST have leading applications (and
healthy competition), maybe there are a few other examples.  I get
envious when I see what PCs and MACs can run.  We not only get no new
or updated apps, we have maybe 1 std. app for each major area (Word
Processing,<WP or WordUp> SpreadSheet,<LDW Power>, etc.)and commercial
programming languages and tools are disappearing (no Modula2 to buy,
no Forth either) without the useful/trendy new replacements (e.g. no
OOPs, see earlier queries on the net for G++).  Shareware and Pd S/W
don't count, they're what sustains "dead" computers (see US Computer
Shopper's orphan computers section).
	I want suggestions as to what *large* type of program do
netters (and friends) want/need that isn't available in native mode
for the ST.  Naturally, we also need suggestions on how to make those
dreams come true (maybe more imports??!).  If there are ways that
non-commercial S/W can do the job I'd like to hear about it, but
I fear that we'll open Pandora's Box with that one.

RBP III (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu <at U. of Vt.>)