[comp.sys.atari.st] Dear Rich Covert

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (12/06/89)

I agree with the netter who wondered whether or not dear old Rich actually
understands Laser printing speed. Hey Rich, for your benefit I'll rephrase
an earlier posting.

1. I digitized a photo of my daughter with the Migraph Hand Scanner.

2. I printed the .IMG file from a Mega 2 to an SLM804 and it took less
   than 1.5 minutes.

3. I printed the same file from an AT at 10 MHz with an 80287 also at
   10 MHz (overall NORTON SI = 12.4). and the pic took just over 44 minutes
   printing from GEM Paint.   <<< Yeah, 44 MINUTES >>>

The difference is due to transmission speed.

Hey, if you really believe in this 11 ppm, 8 ppm, 6 ppm stuff, that lakefront
property in Canada's Arctic is still for sale and has your name written all
over it!

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/08/89)

In article <8912061919.AA14595@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
> I agree with the netter who wondered whether or not dear old Rich actually
> understands Laser printing speed. Hey Rich, for your benefit I'll rephrase
> an earlier posting.
>
> 1. I digitized a photo of my daughter with the Migraph Hand Scanner.
>
> 2. I printed the .IMG file from a Mega 2 to an SLM804 and it took less
>    than 1.5 minutes.

Greg, which program did you use? What it EasyDraw's OUTPRINT (a GDOS program),
and if so did you use GPLUS, and if so which version of GPLUS (the latest is
version 1.3 I believe).

> 3. I printed the same file from an AT at 10 MHz with an 80287 also at
>    10 MHz (overall NORTON SI = 12.4). and the pic took just over 44 minutes
>    printing from GEM Paint.   <<< Yeah, 44 MINUTES >>>
>
> The difference is due to transmission speed.

Greg, which printer did you use? Did you use a serial or a parallel printer
port?? If serial than at what speed? And comparing a printout on different
machines says NOTHING about the speed of the printer UNLESS you use the
SAME printer on both machines. Are you saying that you managed to get 300
dpi printouts with the SLM804 on a MSDOS machine? WOW! I am impressed!

> Hey, if you really believe in this 11 ppm, 8 ppm, 6 ppm stuff, that lakefront
> property in Canada's Arctic is still for sale and has your name written all
> over it!

Greg, I said in my last post that the MAJOR reason that I sold my SLM804
was that I wanted a laser printer that works under Mac, MSDOS, and ST
systems. The KXP4450 does so.

As far as speed, if you would be so kind as to email me a uuencode ZOOed (or ARCed)
copy of your picture I would be HAPPY to benchmark it against my KXP4450.

In fact, if folks out there want me to benchmark the KXP4450 against the
SLM804, I can do so. My friend still has the SLM804. I can test it on both
my 3 year old 520ST (with a meg of RAM), and my 2 year old Mega ST2 (upped to
4 megs). On the Mega, I could test it with the Turbo16 in the Fast and Slow
modes.

So, please folks, I am NOT saying that one printer is faster than another.
I am simply saying that I will benchmark my new printer against the SLM804
in as identical a system as I can.

And when you are printing on systems, like the Mac and the PC, which DON'T
have a FAST DMA port to the printer, the page per minute print speed of
the printer is important. So, for my Mac and PC programs, the KXP4450 is
faster than the HP LJII or the Brother or the Canon or the whatever.

So, please inorder for me to do a benchmark I nned to know that following:

1) What ST are you using?

2) What TOS are you using?

3) Are you printing using GDOS, GPLUS, or a non-GDOS program?

4) Which FILE are you priinting?

5) How do you time the print job?

If there is interest I will do a benchmark. But as I said, I won't argue
which printer is faster. I simply want a laser printer that I can use under
Spectre and MSDOS.

--
 Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
  (602) - 581-4652