[comp.sys.atari.st] How to read PC format?

PMR2@PSUVM.BITNET (12/07/89)

What differences are there between TOS and PC-DOS 3.5" disk formats?  What do
I need to do to read files from an IBM disk?

Also, can anyone out there tell me what the differences between pc-ditto and
pc-ditto II are? (Besides $225, of course.)

Thanks.

-Paul

psurge@cs.utexas.edu (Troy Carpenter) (12/07/89)

In article <89340.213356PMR2@PSUVM.BITNET>, PMR2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
> What differences are there between TOS and PC-DOS 3.5" disk formats?  What do
> I need to do to read files from an IBM disk?
>
> Also, can anyone out there tell me what the differences between pc-ditto and
> pc-ditto II are? (Besides $225, of course.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Paul

as far as TOS is concerened, it sees no difference between an IBM 3.5 disk and
an ST disk, unless the IBM is a 1.44 meg.  The 720K ibm disks work fine on the
ST.

The IBM operating system has a problem with ST formatted disks for some reason,
which I am sure someone else can tell why.  If you want to use both formats
reguarly, then either format all your disks on an IBM, making sure it is
formatting 720K and not 1.4 meg.  OR use DC-formatter which will format DOS
compatable disks from the ST desktop.

                              Troy Carpenter
                            Computer  Sciences
                      THE University of Texas, Austin
			   psurge@cs.utexas.edu

apratt@atari.UUCP (Allan Pratt) (12/08/89)

PMR2@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>What differences are there between TOS and PC-DOS 3.5" disk formats?  What do
>I need to do to read files from an IBM disk?

Ideally, the answer is "zero: there is no difference."  In practice, you can
always read PC disks on ST's, but you can't always read ST disks on PC's.

This assumes that the disk is readable at all on the ST: PC 1.44MB
disks aren't.  Use a format which gives 720K or less.

>Also, can anyone out there tell me what the differences between pc-ditto and
>pc-ditto II are? (Besides $225, of course.)

PC Ditto I is all software: the 68000 runs a program which attempts to
do all the same things as an 8086 and some PC hardware.  It's like a
BASIC interpreter, only it's an 8086-machine-code interpreter.

PC Ditto II is hardware: there's actually an 8086 out there to execute
the 8086 instructions.  The ST is used for I/O: disk, screen, keyboard,
serial, parallel, etc.

(All this from a man who's never used either product...   Informative,
I hope, but not authoritative.)