[comp.sys.atari.st] Atracting new Club members

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/06/89)

I want to thank the following people for responding to my request about
attracting new members to the Phoenix Atari Club:

Greg Lindahl
Robert Retelle from the Michigan Atari Computer Enthusiasts (MACE) club
Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com
Tim Northrup

The main points that they all said was to distribute flyers at my local
Atari store. Some suggested a free Club disk with each ST purchase.
Bob Retelle suggested registering the club with Bob Brodie at Atari. But, with
the revolving door policy at Atari we would have to re-register the club
every few months ( :-) ).

Our local ST sdealer doesn't have the room for us to hold our meetings in his
store. So, we still need to find a better place to meet. The local community
college wants $500 a day for a room, with a $500,000 insurance policy. So,
we can't meet there. My company has a great auditorium, but we can't let
unescorted people into the building (don't want to let out our secrets :-)).
We want to meet on Saturday mornings as that is the most conveneint time for
our members.

I personally think that the we need a better, bigger, meeting place before we
will attract new members. It is a Chicken and the Egg thing. We can't seat many
more members in our current location, but without more members we can't afford
a bigger meeting place.

--
 Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
  (602) - 581-4652

SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/07/89)

The Lawrence Atari Computer Club (Lawrence, Kansas) meets in the
public library.  I would recommend trying that since it is
centrally located, and FREE!!

Steve Shawl
bitnet:  Shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) (12/07/89)

In article <473f18ee.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:

  [a few paragraphs deleted]

> Our local ST sdealer doesn't have the room for us to hold our meetings in his
> store. So, we still need to find a better place to meet. The local community
> college wants $500 a day for a room, with a $500,000 insurance policy. So,
> we can't meet there. My company has a great auditorium, but we can't let
> unescorted people into the building (don't want to let out our secrets :-)).
> We want to meet on Saturday mornings as that is the most conveneint time for
> our members.
>
> I personally think that the we need a better, bigger, meeting place before we
> will attract new members. It is a Chicken and the Egg thing. We can't seat many
> more members in our current location, but without more members we can't afford
> a bigger meeting place.
>
> --
>  Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
>   (602) - 581-4652
> |  AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   |
>  UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!covertr

Rich,

	Our Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based group is able to rent a room
at a Marriot Hotel near Pittsburgh (8 minutes) for only $75.00 for 4 hours!!!

Why not check into renting a conference room at a Holiday-Inn or other reputable
hotel?????  I'm sure the cost wouldn't be that bad....

Our group--The Atari Elite ST Organization--has filed for and is classified
and registered in the state of Pennsylvania as a NON-PROFIT-ORGANIZATION.

Membership dues are $25.00/year and include a bi-monthly "newsdisk"(810k)

A $2.00 "donation" is made at the door by each member at each meeting (monthly)
to help defray the cost of the room...with 60-70 people, it's quite easy!!!!

I think the KEY TO AVOIDING HIGH RATES is to file for Non-Prof-Org. status

To my knowledge--many hotels have special rates for NPO's and if you can work
a contract (annual), you SHOULD be able to get a HEALTHY discount!!!

Lemme know after you do some checking!

 | Dan Karbowsky      kar7481@pitt!cuphub /   S U P P O R T  T H E  S T ! ! !  |
 | 102 Lee Drive      ___________________/Call the ATARI ELITE of PITTSBURGH'S |
 | Belle Vernon, PA  / BBS (Forem-ST,fnet node 19)  at (412) 384-5609 at 300   |
 | 15012   U.S.A.   / thru 19.2k baud 24 hrs./day 7-days/week   Mention this   |
 |	           / message at logon.                                         |

               JOIN THE REVOLUTION IN 1990!!!!!

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/07/89)

In article <19367@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> The Lawrence Atari Computer Club (Lawrence, Kansas) meets in the
> public library.  I would recommend trying that since it is
> centrally located, and FREE!!
>
> Steve Shawl
> bitnet:  Shawl@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

I left a message on our local Club BBS about moving to a library
and the only response I got back so far (only 2 days) is that maybe
we would be too noisy for a LIbrary. We had a GREAT demo of MIDI
equipment by ROLAND CORP in our November meeting. Roland brought
out a Sales Manager and a Local Sales Rep who were verygood.

Anyway, the comment was made that our MIDI demo would have been too
loud. But I said that we should check out the conference room before
making such a statement. Also, by meeting in the Library, we
could have publicized the MIDI Demo thru the inter-library mags
and maybe had some non-members attend.

So, I still think that meeting in a library will be a big boast.

--

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/08/89)

In article <2242@cuphub.cup.edu>, kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:
> In article <473f18ee.14a1f@force.UUCP>, covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>
> Rich,
>
> 	Our Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based group is able to rent a room
> at a Marriot Hotel near Pittsburgh (8 minutes) for only $75.00 for 4 hours!!!
>
> Why not check into renting a conference room at a Holiday-Inn or other reputable
> hotel?????  I'm sure the cost wouldn't be that bad....
>
> Our group--The Atari Elite ST Organization--has filed for and is classified
> and registered in the state of Pennsylvania as a NON-PROFIT-ORGANIZATION.
>
> Membership dues are $25.00/year and include a bi-monthly "newsdisk"(810k)
>
> A $2.00 "donation" is made at the door by each member at each meeting (monthly)
> to help defray the cost of the room...with 60-70 people, it's quite easy!!!!
>
> I think the KEY TO AVOIDING HIGH RATES is to file for Non-Prof-Org. status
>
> To my knowledge--many hotels have special rates for NPO's and if you can work
> a contract (annual), you SHOULD be able to get a HEALTHY discount!!!
>
> Lemme know after you do some checking!

Dan, we are in the process of getting a Non-Profit status for our club also.
In fact, the previous officers left that for me to do in Jan (thanks :-) ).
I have found that Phoenix has a great deal for the use of Library Conference
rooms. We can reserve a room that seats 60 with full AC power and air conditioning
for only five bucks for the morning!!! Quite a deal. If our club grows to your
size I might look into renting space at a Hotel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Our membership dues are $20 per year and include our monthly newsletter and
of course our meetings!! :-)

Good luck with your club. I will send out a copy of our PHAST newsletter to you!

.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.

--
 Richard E. Covert, Lead Engineer of Software Tools Group
 AG Communications Systems, Phoenix AZ   (602) - 581-4652