[comp.sys.atari.st] KERMIT with Uniterm v2.0?

kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) (12/07/89)

In article <8912050802.AA12678@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) writes:
> I have had lotsa problems transferring binary files with Uniterm kermit, from
> a VAXCluster. The solution seems to be...SET FILE TYPE FIXED on the VAX
> (Kermit-32>) and BINARY on the ST. Both binary -> dozens of errors...
>
> I don't know why it works, but it does.
>

> Jan

I am on a VAX-8350 and use kermit-32> also...

I have found that 99.9% of all KERMIT up/downloads will work using UNITERM 2.0d
if you issue a "SET DELAY n" command: whereas; n = number of seconds you think
you'll need to select the SEND/RECV file and go into send/recv mode...

Hope this helps SOMEONE out there....

 | Dan Karbowsky      kar7481@pitt!cuphub /   S U P P O R T  T H E  S T ! ! !  |
 | 102 Lee Drive      ___________________/Call the ATARI ELITE of PITTSBURGH'S |
 | Belle Vernon, PA  / BBS (Forem-ST,fnet node 19)  at (412) 384-5609 at 300   |
 | 15012   U.S.A.   / thru 19.2k baud 24 hrs./day 7-days/week   Mention this   |
 |	           / message at logon.                                         |

                  JOIN THE REVOLUTION ! ! !

mwjester@wsucsa.uucp (12/08/89)

In article <2240@cuphub.cup.edu>, kar7481@cuphub.cup.edu (Dan Karbowsky;AtariEliteOfPghPa bbs412-384-5609) writes:
> In article <8912050802.AA12678@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) writes:
>> I have had lotsa problems transferring binary files with Uniterm kermit, from
>> a VAXCluster. The solution seems to be...SET FILE TYPE FIXED on the VAX
>> (Kermit-32>) and BINARY on the ST. Both binary -> dozens of errors...
>>
>> I don't know why it works, but it does.
>>

>> Jan
>
> I am on a VAX-8350 and use kermit-32> also...
>
> I have found that 99.9% of all KERMIT up/downloads will work using UNITERM 2.0d
> if you issue a "SET DELAY n" command: whereas; n = number of seconds you think
> you'll need to select the SEND/RECV file and go into send/recv mode...
>
> Hope this helps SOMEONE out there....
>
> --
>  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  | Dan Karbowsky      kar7481@pitt!cuphub /   S U P P O R T  T H E  S T ! ! !  |
>  | 102 Lee Drive      ___________________/Call the ATARI ELITE of PITTSBURGH'S |
>  | Belle Vernon, PA  / BBS (Forem-ST,fnet node 19)  at (412) 384-5609 at 300   |
>  | 15012   U.S.A.   / thru 19.2k baud 24 hrs./day 7-days/week   Mention this   |
>  |	           / message at logon.                                         |
>  +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>
>                   JOIN THE REVOLUTION ! ! !

I also work with a VAX (or VAXen) - an 8650 and a 750.  I had problems with
a few versions of Kermit when downloading binaries, due to delays in escaping
to local mode and starting the receive.  What worked for me was setting the
VAX Kermit to server mode and using GET from Uniterm's Kermit server command
menu (both Kermits having been set to binary type).  I could never do that
previously, as other Kermit versions (including CKermit from terminator) did
not do a reliable job when taking the VAX Kermit out of server mode, but the
Uniterm Kermit does so with no trouble at all.

Hope this helps!

--Max
(no clever sig's tonight)