[comp.sys.atari.st] NeXT compared to TT

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/08/89)

In article <2401@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>Actually, it seems kind of silly to me. MOST ST's don't have the memory
>or disk needed to run GCC, and MOST ST buyers don't know C. NeXT puts
>GCC with their machine because it's a workstation.

I don't suppose the TT is aimed at the workstation market, but on the
other hand, what IS it aimed at?  It seems likely that a TT system will
cost $3K or more.  In the U.S. at least, I guess beyond us hackers who
have money to spend I don't see who the buyer is.  The ST doesn't have
the software base (or at least, it doesn't have the marketing presense)
or "pedigree" here to attract many business buyers.  $3K is far more
than Joe Average Consumer is willing to spend on a computer.  And if
it isn't bundled with a decent & attractive set of goodies, it might
not attract the wealthy hackers either.  So who buys it?  I'm curious.
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (12/08/89)

In article <4749c4bb.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:
>other hand, what IS it aimed at?  It seems likely that a TT system will
>cost $3K or more.  In the U.S. at least, I guess beyond us hackers who
>have money to spend I don't see who the buyer is.  The ST doesn't have
>the software base (or at least, it doesn't have the marketing presense)
>or "pedigree" here to attract many business buyers.  $3K is far more
>than Joe Average Consumer is willing to spend on a computer.  And if
>it isn't bundled with a decent & attractive set of goodies, it might
>not attract the wealthy hackers either.  So who buys it?  I'm curious.
>--
>>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com

Get the TT in university students' hands for $1500.
Support developers.. information and docs always available..
Students graduate.
They get jobs  :-)
THey LOVE the TT and progeny.
They want and demand  the TT in the workplace because the TT is the
  platform they know and love..
THe [              ] community accepts the ATARI.

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu