[comp.sys.atari.st] v03INF3: Change to posting format

koreth@panarthea.ebay.sun.com (Steven Grimm) (12/10/89)

The votes are in on changing from shar to uue-{zoo,arc} format, and the
uues have it.

I'll try to regularly (once per volume) post pointers to source code for
the various archiving and decoding programs, and make sure that they're
available on the panarthea archive.

Some notable comments:

>From: tim@brspyr1.brs.com (Tim Northrup)
>
>Both ZOO and ARC are now commonly available on Unix systems (much more so
>than when comp.sources.atari.st was started), so why bother with a shar
>file?

>From: Ron Abramson <rona@hpdml93.hp.com>
>
>It seems to me that if uuencoded arc files are good enough for
>comp.binaries.atari.st, then they ought to be good enough for
>comp.sources.atari.st
>
>I don't understand why a person (be it a he or she :~}) should need
>to learn a new technique to retrieve source files.

>From: sluka@stoch.fmi.uni-passau.de (Bernd Sluka)
>
>I always un-shar your sources and repack them as arc- or zoo-archives
>on my sun before transfering them to the st via an PC-clone.
>So in my point of view it would be better to use uue'd arc- or zoo-files
>for the sources, too.

And one of the few dissenting votes,

>From: saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs)
>
>I like to keep sources in readable form.  What you might do is dictate a
>particular shar format, and provide tools to create and disassemble those
>files in the monthly posting.

---
"                                                  !" - Marcel Marceau
Steven Grimm		Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.atari.st
koreth@ebay.sun.com	...!sun!ebay!koreth