[comp.sys.atari.st] What Kermit/UNITERM bugs?

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (12/01/89)

One netter mentioned problems with UNITERM's Kermit. On our site, which
has a CYBER 830/990 combo and various VAXs, such as an 8550, the only Kermit
that works flawlessly with full server support is UNITERM's Kermit. Some
20 - 40 people use it almost daily. I use UNITERM Kermit in text or binary
mode almost every day and I have never had one problem. I've tried Versa-Term
Pro and Red Ryder under Mac emulation but they do not have server support.
Neither does ZSTEM or SmarTerm 240 for the PCs. The ONLY Kermit I trust is
UNITERM's so WHAT problems are there?

t19@nikhefh.nikhef.nl (Geert J v Oldenborgh) (12/02/89)

In article <8912010813.AA04349@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
> One netter mentioned problems with UNITERM's Kermit. On our site, which

One BAD bug I found in my version 2.0e is the following: if you try to uplod
a file (type kermit -r on my mainframe), then accidentally press [receive]
on the Kermit menu, choose the file you wanted to [send] and your file is gone
to the Eternal Bit Grounds.  Was I glad my editor makes .bak files....

If anyone has a 2.0e without this bug please let me know.

		Geert Jan van Oldenborgh

jmberkley@watnext.waterloo.edu (J. Michael Berkley) (12/02/89)

> On 30 Nov 89 19:26:00 GMT, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) said:

GC> The ONLY Kermit I trust is UNITERM's so WHAT problems are there?

I too like and trust Uniterm, but there is a small, subtle bug in the
8th bit quoting negotiation.  Here is a copy of the message I tried to
send to Simon Poole:

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 89 13:03:36 EST
From: jmberkley
Subject: Uniterm Kermit and 8th bit quoting negotiation

I'm having trouble with Uniterm and 8th bit quoting.  When Uniterm and
Ckermit negotiate, the transfer does not correctly go into 8th bit
quoting.  I asked Frank da Cruz for advice and debugging assistance.
A summary of his reply is printed below.

The problem seems to be that Uniterm says '&' for 8th bit quoting, and
Ckermit replies with 'Y' (meaning yes I'll do it).  But Uniterm takes
the 'Y' to be the 8th bit quoting character (!).  The 'Y' reply by
Ckermit is documented in the kermit protocol manual from Columbia.

If I set the 8th bit quoting character to be 'Y' in Uniterm, then 8th
bit quoting is properly and successfully performed.

I am using the latest version of Uniterm from cs.orst.edu (sorry, but
I cannot remember the version number right now) and Ckermit 4F(085).

Thank you

 Mike Berkley, University of Waterloo
 PAMI Lab
 jmberkley@watnext.waterloo.edu
 {utai,uunet}!watmath!watnext!jmberkley

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (12/02/89)

In article <8912010813.AA04349@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes...

>One netter mentioned problems with UNITERM's Kermit. On our site, which
>has a CYBER 830/990 combo and various VAXs, such as an 8550, the only Kermit
>that works flawlessly with full server support is UNITERM's Kermit. Some
>20 - 40 people use it almost daily. I use UNITERM Kermit in text or binary
>mode almost every day and I have never had one problem. I've tried Versa-Term
>Pro and Red Ryder under Mac emulation but they do not have server support.
>Neither does ZSTEM or SmarTerm 240 for the PCs. The ONLY Kermit I trust is
>UNITERM's so WHAT problems are there?

Exactly the same here. Through various strange machination I discovered
that our VAXes had both Kermit and Xmodem. Out of 6 programs for 2
machines, ONLY Uniterm's Kermit is able to transfer binaries. The only
Kermit I have for the Amiga does not transfer correctly, and ABSOLUTELY
NONE of the Xmodems will work. I must say I was surprised to read that
it had bugs, since it's the only one which works for me...

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |

SML108@PSUVM.BITNET (12/04/89)

On the subject of kermits and ST's...

I also use the Uniterm Kermit to transfer to and from my ST.  it works fine wit
h VAX computer systems, however weird, VERY WEIRD stuff happens with Unix sys-
tems, both System V and 4.3bsd.  It works fine transferring text files, but
gives a potpourri of errors with binary files.  This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON VAXES!
  Ther really weird bit about the erros is that if you set the maximum allowabl
e number of erros high enough, it eventually succeeds in transferring the block
s it has trouble with.  I have no idea why this happens.....

Has anyone else figured this one out...

Scott Le Grand aka SML108@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/04/89)

I have used 2.0d for the past 2 weeks and have had no trouble transferring
files between my ST and our SUN system running 4.2 UNIX.

fischer-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (Michael Fischer) (12/05/89)

In article <89337.135453SML108@PSUVM.BITNET> SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>On the subject of kermits and ST's...
>
>I also use the Uniterm Kermit to transfer to and from my ST.  it works fine wit
>h VAX computer systems, however weird, VERY WEIRD stuff happens with Unix sys-
>tems, both System V and 4.3bsd.  It works fine transferring text files, but
>gives a potpourri of errors with binary files.  This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON VAXES!
>  Ther really weird bit about the erros is that if you set the maximum allowabl
>e number of erros high enough, it eventually succeeds in transferring the block
>s it has trouble with.  I have no idea why this happens.....
>
>Has anyone else figured this one out...
>
>Scott Le Grand aka SML108@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

I have no trouble at all with either text transfers or binary transfers
between Uniterm Kermit on my ST and C-Kermit running on a 4.3bsd system
(a Sun Sparcstation).  You do have to remember to set binary mode at
both ends for binary transmissions.  I usually say "kermit -ix" to the
Unix kermit, click the "binary" box on the Uniterm menu, and use the
"get" or "put" command.
| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

johnb@pnet01.cts.com (John Bunch) (12/05/89)

I had the same problem also.  I then switched to using s    ckermit to do file
transfers..  It works great...

John.

P.S.  Ckermit is available at terminator.

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!johnb
ARPA: crash!pnet01!johnb@nosc.mil
INET: johnb@pnet01.cts.com

dbsuther@PacBell.COM (Daniel B. Suthers) (12/05/89)

In article <89337.135453SML108@PSUVM.BITNET> SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>On the subject of kermits and ST's...
>
>I also use the Uniterm Kermit to transfer to and from my ST.  it works fine wit
>h VAX computer systems, however weird, VERY WEIRD stuff happens with Unix sys-
>tems, both System V and 4.3bsd.  It works fine transferring text files, but
>gives a potpourri of errors with binary files.  This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON VAXES!

I have no idea why it eventually works with the retries set high enough, but
I have found that some UNIX kermits default to binary, and some to text.  It
becomes important to specify [binay/text] on BOTH ends to get a valid transfer.

Some of the unix ports don't always switch properly between 7 and 8 bit modes
either.  It's always best to match up before starting the transfer; after all
it is PD software and no-one is playing gaurdian.

Dan Suthers,  Analyst, Pacific Bell
uucp: {backbone}!pacbell!pbeos!dbsuther
Youth's a difficult time, and it gets harder the longer you try to draw it out.

bartho@obs.unige.ch (PAUL BARTHOLDI) (12/05/89)

In article <8912010813.AA04349@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes:
> One netter mentioned problems with UNITERM's Kermit. ...
> The ONLY Kermit I trust is UNITERM's so WHAT problems are there?

I can confirm that I do use UNITERM (2.0e) Kermit almost dayly in binary mode
with the following counterparts : Vax-vms Kermit32, Vax-vms CKermit, IBM vm-cms
Kermit, Sun unix Kermit and PC Kermit 2.32 .  My Atari 1040ST is connected at
19.2 Kbps to an Ethernet pad (Bridge cs/100) with XON/XOFF protocol.  The line
to the IBM goes through the vax, then through a x.25 line to a central pad that
connects me to the 3090 ...  From experience, I have set the packet length to
1024 (reduced to 96 max by CKermit ...) and use the CRC for error detection.
Depending on various conditions I get no errors or a few retries, but never got
locked or with unreadable file (even a single error would be rejected by the
dearcing programs).  The mean transfer rate is almost 1KB/s with the Vax (780),
while it's almost 4 times slower with the IBM due to the many intermediates
nodes, but the error rate is similar.  I found the 1KB packets giving the best
throughput.  A 2KB is even better, but only if the retries are very rare.

I never the less remember a discussion about a year ago (or more ?) between
Simon Poole and ? concerning binary transmission.  After reading all arguments,
i was convinced that UNITERM worked the right way, although the documentation
could have been interpreted differently.  The fact that I never had any
problem with the 5 different versions above confirms this 'experimentaly'
I think (not a proof !)

          regards and Thanks to Simon if he reads this !   Paul

     |  Dr Paul Bartholdi             bartho@cgeuge54.bitnet        |
     |  Observatoire de Geneve        bartho@obs.unige.ch           |
     |  51, chemin des Maillettes     02284682161350::bartho (psi)  |
     |  CH-1290 Sauverny              20579::ugobs::bartho          |
     |  Switzerland                   +41 22 755 39 83       (fax)  |
     |                                +41 22 755 26 11       (tel)  |
     |                                +45 419 209 obsg ch  (telex)  |

SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/06/89)

In article <2748@dogie.macc.wisc.edu>, gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
> In article <8912010813.AA04349@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) writes...
>
>>One netter mentioned problems with UNITERM's Kermit. On our site, which
>>has a CYBER 830/990 combo and various VAXs, such as an 8550, the only Kermit
>>that works flawlessly with full server support is UNITERM's Kermit. Some
>>20 - 40 people use it almost daily. I use UNITERM Kermit in text or binary
>>mode almost every day and I have never had one problem. I've tried Versa-Term
>>Pro and Red Ryder under Mac emulation but they do not have server support.
>>Neither does ZSTEM or SmarTerm 240 for the PCs. The ONLY Kermit I trust is
>>UNITERM's so WHAT problems are there?

I agree with much of what is said, but with some modification.  Until
very recently, I was using version 1.7b; it worked flawlessly in all
cases EXCEPT sending DEGAS format pictures to our VAX.  Before I was
even aware of UNITERM, I purchased ANSIGRAPH; I have had no troubles
with its KERMIT at all.  So, while I use UNITERM as my standard, I
changed to ANSIGRAPH for any long binaries.  I have not
tried UNITERM 2.0e on a degas picture yet.

Steve Shawl
bitnet:  SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) (12/07/89)

In article <89337.135453SML108@PSUVM.BITNET> SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>On the subject of kermits and ST's...
>
>I also use the Uniterm Kermit to transfer to and from my ST.  it works fine wit
>h VAX computer systems, however weird, VERY WEIRD stuff happens with Unix sys-
>tems, both System V and 4.3bsd.  It works fine transferring text files, but
>gives a potpourri of errors with binary files.  This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON VAXES!
[stuff deleted]

Strange, I've downloaded loads of stuff from a Sys V UNIX machine and it
always works fine - the only time it doesn't is when I forget to set the
'-i' option on the UNIX kermit (for binary mode transfer). There's maybe
something wrong with your UNIX kermit (although I have heard of some
sort of bug in Uniterm's Kermit but it always works OK for me)...

Mark Davidson <aimd@ed.castle>

mpsimon@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (M. Patrick Simon) (12/10/89)

In article <1333@castle.ed.ac.uk> aimd@castle.ed.ac.uk (M Davidson) writes:
>In article <89337.135453SML108@PSUVM.BITNET> SML108@PSUVM.BITNET writes:
>>On the subject of kermits and ST's...
>>
>>I also use the Uniterm Kermit to transfer to and from my ST.it works fine wit
>>h VAX computer systems, however weird, VERY WEIRD stuff happens with Unixsys-
>>tems, both System V and 4.3bsd.  It works fine transferring text files, but
>>gives a potpourri of errors with binary files.  This DOES NOT HAPPEN ON VAXES
>[stuff deleted]
>
>Strange, I've downloaded loads of stuff from a Sys V UNIX machine and it
>always works fine - the only time it doesn't is when I forget to set the
>'-i' option on the UNIX kermit (for binary mode transfer). There's maybe
>something wrong with your UNIX kermit (although I have heard of some
>sort of bug in Uniterm's Kermit but it always works OK for me)...
>
>>Scott Le Grand aka SML108@PSUVM.PSU.EDU
>
>Mark Davidson <aimd@ed.castle>

I have also had difficulties with Kermit in Uniterm (v2.0b). Downloading
works fine, even in binary mode, but uploading does not work fine if there
is a communication server present (e.g. something that forces kermit to
use 8th bit prefixing, or whatever that's called). I know this is a bug
in Uniterm's implementation of kermit because another kermit I have for the
ST will do those same uploads correctly. From the discussion here, it does
not sound as if this bug has been fixed in later versions.

--Patrick Simon      mpsimon@phoenix.princeton.edu

p.s. I had even more difficulties with transfer until I set the Unix end
     kermit's parity correctly. This can be done in the kermit initialization
     file, so you don't need to check it each time.

p.p.s. I use uniterm all the time, and really appreciate the effort Simon Poole
     has put into this program.