[comp.sys.atari.st] Word Writer format company

gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Greg Gibson) (12/07/89)

I use Word Writer because it has a spell check and thesaurus.  However, I
can not get the paragraph format command to work.  Does any know how to
make the Word Writer paragraph format command to work? I think anyone
selling a word processor without a properly working format command should
be jailed for fraud.

Thank You,
Gregory Gibson

fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) (12/09/89)

In article <227@trwrb.UUCP>, gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Greg Gibson) writes:
> I use Word Writer because it has a spell check and thesaurus.  However, I
> can not get the paragraph format command to work.  Does any know how to
> make the Word Writer paragraph format command to work? I think anyone
> selling a word processor without a properly working format command should
> be jailed for fraud.
>
> Thank You,
> Gregory Gibson

Paragraph format works, but you may not understand what Word Writer
thinks is a paragraph.  If you type carriage return, that marks the
end of the paragraph.  Just type in your text without hitting carriage
return and let Word Writer break the lines for you.

By the way, the carriage returns it puts in are followed by a space,
so Word Writer can distinguish its line breaks from the carriage returns
that mark the ends of paragraphs.  If you delete the space
after a carriage return, you will turn the line break into a paragraph
end.

| Michael Fischer                                |
|    Arpanet:    <fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu>   |
|    Bitnet:     <fischer-michael@yalecs.bitnet> |
|    UUCP:       <fischer-michael@yale.UUCP>     |

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (12/10/89)

In article <7941@cs.yale.edu> fischer-michael@cs.yale.edu (Michael Fischer) writes:
>In article <227@trwrb.UUCP>, gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Greg Gibson) writes:
>> I use Word Writer because it has a spell check and thesaurus.  However, I
>> can not get the paragraph format command to work.  Does any know how to
>> make the Word Writer paragraph format command to work? I think anyone
>> selling a word processor without a properly working format command should
>> be jailed for fraud.
>>
>> Thank You,
>> Gregory Gibson

Because of this very reason, I wrote a C program to analyze regular text
files and determine where the paragraphs end and then convert the text file
into a Word Writer (also First Word) file.  I can send it to anyone who
wants it.  It is just a short C program (written in Laser C, but ports to
UNIX, so should be able to port to any C language for the ST).

I don't have my code available now (just reformated the hard drive for
MINIX, and the Laser C code is backed up on floppy) but from memory, I
think that all blank spaces (ASCII 32) gets converted to ASCII character
30.  There is a ASCII character 30 before every newline (ASCII 10).  And
the end of a paragraph has no ASCII 30 before the newline.

Kind of an interesting format.  When the Word Writer format is displayed
all the blank spaces will appear to have disappeared, but really, they are
just represented as ASCII character 30, which doesn't show up on the Atari
ST screen (at least it doesn't in TOS/GEM).

Mark Lehmann
--
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |