[comp.sys.atari.st] Rainbow Tos availability to people without dealers

ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu (12/08/89)

>Date: 4 Dec 89 20:28:27 GMT
>From: imagen!atari!kbad@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU  (Ken Badertscher)
>Subject: Rainbow Tos Porblems

>gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
>| What's a local dealer?
>| (this prevents me from even thinking about the upgrade)

>Think again.  Atari has a service in place for users who don't have
>dealers near them to get the Rainbow TOS upgrade installed.  Call Atari
>Customer Service for information on how to get the upgrade.

>--
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

 Ken and John,

   Before I say anything else.... THANK YOU for being here so that we get
 SOME information about hardware, software, new stuff, etc. The magazines
 all seem to be disappearing but some of us want to continue using our
 machines and need up to date info on them. Again thanks...

   That out of the way....

 I just called Atari Customer Relations, (4:00 pm 12-6-89) after reading this
 message. I reached a very pleasant voice (sorry I didn't get her name), that
 informed me that NOWHERE in the NORTHEAST can I buy the Rainbow TOS upgrade
 and could not buy it direct ... only from a dealer. She rattled off a list
 that included a place in KANSAS CITY. I am not likely to be going there soon
 and don't want to travel there to buy computer equipment. To be fair she did
 mention a place in CORAM NY, which from the 516 area code sounds like it is
 upstate somewhere.

   I am in eastern Connecticut and there are no dealers near here. The only
 shop that I guess WAS a registered dealer at one time is about 60 miles
 from here. That is not a problem. He informs me, however, that Atari told
 him that he could not get the Rainbow TOS unless it was with Desktop
 Publishing Systems. That really is too bad because he runs a very good
 place, stocks a fair bit of software, has a few pieces of hardware and
 continues to do hardware repair for the machines. I think though that he
 has lost interest in doing business with Atari.

   I am not here to bitch about Atari and its problems however. I just
 wanted to let you know that there doesn't seem to be a way to distribute
 the new TOS to people who do not have dealers near them. I don't really
 expect you to be able to do anything about it. I doubt that that is in
 your job description. I just wanted to let you know that your previous
 posting seems inaccurate.

   By the way, I happened to think my Atari 520ST is real useful. I have
 added a 50Mb drive and just today bought an Aerco memory upgrade for it
 from my "LOCAL" dealer. It was worth the 60 mile drive. The machine is
 not the be all and end all of computers, but fits my needs for the moment.

 P.S. It is EXTREMELY gratifying to see professionally wrought software
      being produced for the Atari ST. In light of this thanks to Jos
      Vermaseren for FORM. I wish I could figure out a way to get the
      local dvi to alw (apple laserwriter) program to process this. It
      seems to need a preamble or postamble or something like that. Hey..
      I am just learning TeX and it is slow going.

  Tom Tensfeldt           Bitnet: TENSFELDT%Eagle.WESLYN@Wesleyan.Bitnet
                        Internet: TTENSFELDT@Eagle.Wesleyan.Edu or

                  4 Laurel Avenue, Ledyard,    CT 06339 (203)-464-9009
  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
  Chemistry Dept, Wesleyan Univ,   Middletown, CT       (203)-347-9411 X2635

ajy2208%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (12/11/89)

In article <4796@eagle.wesleyan.edu> ttensfeldt@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>   I am in eastern Connecticut and there are no dealers near here. The only
> shop that I guess WAS a registered dealer at one time is about 60 miles
> from here. That is not a problem. He informs me, however, that Atari told
> him that he could not get the Rainbow TOS unless it was with Desktop
> Publishing Systems. That really is too bad because he runs a very good
> place, stocks a fair bit of software, has a few pieces of hardware and
> continues to do hardware repair for the machines. I think though that he
> has lost interest in doing business with Atari.

I am also from Eastern Connecticut..  There are no dealers near Groton (I'm
from New London), however there used to be a dealer in Rhode Island...
I haven't been there in a while though (since I go to school in Rochester
New York).  I think it is near the Warwick Mall (or in it??).

The place you mentioned sounds like Derek's Electronics right above
New Haven.  A good friend of mine bought his first ST there (520), and
later purchased a Mega ST2 system from Derek's also.  That's the only
Atari dealer I've been to in CT!!!  (unfortunately).  At least we have
ONE Atari dealer here in Rochester, but it's more like a IBM/Amiga
dealer that also happens to have STs (they'd much rather sell you
an Amiga).  I recently visited Cleveland and had the opportunity to
visit two ATARI ONLY stores.  Something I can only dream of around
here.

>  Pfizer, Inc.,   Box 100,         Groton,     CT 06340 (203)-441-4835
   How's the air over there?  :-)  (I used to drive by Pfizer's every day
   to get to work at the CG R&DC at Avery Point)..
 Albert Yarusso, Rochester     ajy2208@ritvax.bitnet,ajy2208@ultb.isc.rit.edu
 Computer Science  /___   /    {rutgers, ames}!rochester!ritcv!ajy2208
______________________/  /     ajy2208@ritcv.cs.rit.edu     GEnie:  A.Yarusso