[comp.sys.atari.st] WordWriter Paragraph format

01659@AECLCR.BITNET (Greg Csullog) (12/08/89)

If you have hard returns at the end of lines (i.e, you hit return to end
each line rather than auto wrap or you imported an ascii file) then the
format (F10) will not work.

There is a PD program called 1ST_CVRT which will read ascii files and add
soft returns in place of hard returns. Once you have soft returns, the
paragraph format will work fine. I used WordWriter for over two years
and can say with all honesty that paragraph format DOES work.

I switched to 1ST Word Plus because WW lacked a goto page and WW popped to
the top of a doc on a save operation. However, I miss WW's dictionary -
I've used Word 4.0 on a Mac, WordPerfect on a PC and 1ST Word Plus on the ST
and none of them have the spell check capability of WW.

esp_05@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Stdnt 05) (12/10/89)

Regarding the good spelling checker in Word Writer and lacking in
First Word Plus:  I don't know if it's still available, but Thunder
from Batteries Included is THE BEST spelling checker I've seen on any
computer.  And I've seen a few, since I was involved in evaluating
packages for use with Stedman's Medical Dictionary for Stedman's
owners.  It didn't use that much memory, and it was fantastic at
finding the correct spelling of misspelled words.  It ran in the
background so it could check spelling while you type, and it would
work with just about any GEM program (eg NOT ST Writer).

I think BI is out of business, however, and I don't know if ayone is
still marketing it.  You may be able to find an old copy left over.
If it's not being produced anymore that's a shame.

Eric

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/12/89)

In article <3590@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> esp_05@jhunix.UUCP (Stdnt 05) writes:
>  I don't know if it's still available, but Thunder
>from Batteries Included is THE BEST spelling checker I've seen
> [...]
>  It ran in the
>background so it could check spelling while you type, and it would
>work with just about any GEM program (eg NOT ST Writer).

Not even the latest versions?  The most recent ST Writer I've seen
(2.something) has a GEM mode, in which you can use the mouse, file
selectors, etc.  Does Thunder still not like ST Writer, or perhaps
did you have an older (pre-2.0) copy of the latter?

--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.