[comp.sys.atari.st] New Comp.sys.atari.st.xxxx --- Lets Discuss

rdr@mdavcr.UUCP (Randolph Roesler) (12/08/89)

[sorry Canada - should have dist = world first time around]

[Sorry about skipping "keywords"]

I have noticed that Comp.sys.atari.st, probably like most sys newsgroups,
serves as a multi-purpose forum.

	A. Discussion of Atari St Past, Present, and Future.
	B. Off the cuff advice on hardware/software/etc.
	C. Pearls of wisdom which should be saved for all time.
	D. Etc.

I would like to purpose that we (the readers of Comp.sys.atari.st)
divid the newsgroup up into an unmoderated discuss group and a
moderated advice group (with, maybe, and question and answer group
on the side).  The advice group would be intended for
those pearls of wisdom, and would be archived, index, etc, for
the masses and the years.

Perhaps we could name the new groups

	Comp.sys.atari.st.d     = discuss and unmoderated
				  free forum

	Comp.sys.atari.st.a     = advice and moderated
				  archived, index, etc
maybe
	Comp.sys.atari.st.h	= help and unmoderated
				  qustion and answers

This not an offical call for discuss for creation and renaming of
newsgroups becuase there is a few issues to be worked out.

	1) Who is to moderate
	2) Where can we archive
	3) What are the newsgroup names to be
	4) Whether this is a good idea
	5) etc.

I am not an expert on any facet of Atari St, but, since I am not one
of those talkers (and not doers) I will volunteer to be moderator of
the new newsgroup.  I suggest that I am not the bestperson for this
job.  If you think you would do better, please volunteer. (Really,
someone from Atari should do this - but they (Atari) would have to
promise not to bias the newsgroup towards Atari's own add-on products).

I can not archive the newsgroup.

If there is enough feed make on this issue - I will put together
a proper usenet proposal.
It's not the size of your signature that 	Randy Roesler
counts - it's how you use it!			MacDonald Dettwiler & Assc.
email ...!uunet!van-bc!mdavcr!rdr		BC Canada 604-278-3411

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (L.J.Dickey) (12/12/89)

In article <696@acrux.mdavcr.UUCP> rdr@mdavcr.UUCP (Randolph Roesler) writes:

 > I have noticed that Comp.sys.atari.st, probably like most
 > sys newsgroups, serves as a multi-purpose forum

and he proposes that we divide the group into several parts.
I think I would like this.  I am tired of sifting through
the muck, and would support the sort of division he suggest.
( Of course certain "KILL" commands in "rn", like

	/obnoxious person/h:j
	/ unsubscribe/:j
	/ Vapourware/:j

have been helpful in the past, but it is not everything. )
Yes, there are details to work out, but let's discuss them.

--
    L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.UWaterloo.ca	ljdickey@water.BITNET