[comp.sys.atari.st] STOS Basic

calvin.bruner@canremote.uucp (CALVIN BRUNER) (11/29/89)

I just heard on my local BBS that TOS 1.4 does not work with STOS basic.
 This is surprising as STOS is a fairly recent product.  Anyway, I'm
looking for a second confirmation of this, and if true, whether anyone
in Europe happens to know if Mandarin is going to fix?
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (12/03/89)

One of my friend has STOS and TOS 1.2 but we tried it on my MEGA4 with
TOS 1.4 - It worked OK, BUT you can't move the mouse-pointer !!!!!

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (12/05/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.628643865.larserio@kvart.uio.no> larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:
>One of my friend has STOS and TOS 1.2 but we tried it on my MEGA4 with
>TOS 1.4 - It worked OK, BUT you can't move the mouse-pointer !!!!!

Applications generated with STOS seem to exhibit this same behavior.
I can verify that all programs I have tried which were created using
STOS and work with earlier ROMS cause the mouse to "lock-up" with
TOS 1.4.

--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

news@blackbird.afit.af.mil (News System Account) (12/05/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.628643865.larserio@kvart.uio.no> larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:
>One of my friend has STOS and TOS 1.2 but we tried it on my MEGA4 with
>TOS 1.4 - It worked OK, BUT you can't move the mouse-pointer !!!!!
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like it might be the same problem I fixed in Arkaniod (access to
undocumented mouse position memory location).

> Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
>  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST
>__________/ ______________________/   ____/   /   Klubben,  user association

 Bill Hodges                    |  Me?  People who speak for the Air Force get
 bhodges@blackbird.afit.af.mil  |  paid a lot more than I do! I just work here.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/06/89)

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

| In article <CMM.0.88.628643865.larserio@kvart.uio.no> larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:
| >One of my friend has STOS and TOS 1.2 but we tried it on my MEGA4 with
| >TOS 1.4 - It worked OK, BUT you can't move the mouse-pointer !!!!!

| Applications generated with STOS seem to exhibit this same behavior.

This is because STOS used absolute, undocumented memory locations for
mouse position.  More's the pity, because a legal way of getting at
these variables _is_ documented.  A couple of other software packages
exhibited this behaviour in Rainbow TOS testing here at Atari, as well.

I believe Antic has a new version of STOS that works better with Rainbow TOS.

--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (12/07/89)

In article <1862@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> | In article <CMM.0.88.628643865.larserio@kvart.uio.no>
larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) writes:
> | >One of my friend has STOS and TOS 1.2 but we tried it on my MEGA4 with
> | >TOS 1.4 - It worked OK, BUT you can't move the mouse-pointer !!!!!
>
> | Applications generated with STOS seem to exhibit this same behavior.
>
> This is because STOS used absolute, undocumented memory locations for
> mouse position.  More's the pity, because a legal way of getting at
> these variables _is_ documented.  A couple of other software packages
> exhibited this behaviour in Rainbow TOS testing here at Atari, as well.
>
> I believe Antic has a new version of STOS that works better with Rainbow
TOS.

 I just received a catalog from some place in California which sold PD and
commercial software.  On one of their PD disks was a patch for STOS running
on TOS 1.4.  If you are interested, mail me and I'll e-mail the address
and info back.

Enjoy.

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

"And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
 Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball."
                                   A.A. Milne "Now We are Six"

daroloson@watmath.waterloo.edu (Dani A. Roloson) (12/13/89)

I mailed Mandarin concerning a bug with window titles containing blanks
and they mailed me a disk labelled STOS 2.5 which seems to work on the
new roms.

The STOS Club had the disk to update to 2.4 in its library so they might
also have a new rom update.

Maybe someone in the UK could phone both of them and ask if the
update is generally available and for how much.

Also, has anyone seen the new packages (Musician, Vidi, & 3D),
the new book by Stephen Hill, the new gamespak, or any of the
stuff from Shadow Software?

I host the STOS special interest group for KWEST (Kitchener-Waterloo
Eight Sixteen Thirty-Two), have written 2 STOS columns for our
newsletter "The Hard Copy", and am working on several incomplete
projects so I would like to hear from other STOS Basic users.

Dani Roloson
KWEST