[comp.sys.atari.st] Soz C V1.2 Upgrade help required

S61304@PRIME-A.POLY-SOUTH-WEST.AC.UK (Rat) (12/01/89)

(From "The Masked Rat Fink"   "Computing and Informatics Yr4")

Dear Netters,

Being a beginning C programmer, I have managed to coax my copy of Sozobon
Version 1.01 to compile, link and all that sort of stuff on single files.
However I have not used anything other than the supplied CC utility, to
drive all the other elements (hcc and top etc) and especially I haven't
yet managed to get 'make' to work. This has slowed to a total halt my efforts
to compile up the version 1.2 of Sozobon (supplied in source format only :-(

I have tried to use the make facility on the supplied files. I had my normal
Soz C work disk in the A drive and the 1.2 source in a ram disk, installed
as drive d:. I then made the source files the active window and ran the make
utility by selecting it using the right-left double click technique and then
selecting open from the desktop. But it still didn't work.

I would be mega obliged if someone could take the time to explain where I
went wrong, so that I can actually perform the upgrade. I have no objections
to anyone calling me a wally for getting something obvious wrong, but as far
as C is concerned I have to ask these questions! :-)

I do have a copy of the Gulam shell, but I haven't used it very much yet.
However I will dig it out and blow the dust off it if necessary.

Many thanks in advance

TMRF

PS To the authors of Sozobon, I read your request for news of anyone who was
   using your software. Well ... I'm trying to do my final year project in it,
   so I guess that I count as a user (perhaps a developer!?) of your product.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
%                                                                           %
% Simon Chappell (The Masked Rat Fink)                                      %
% Computing and Informatics (Final Year), Polytechnic South West (Plymouth) %
%                                                                           %
%   "Better the pride that resides, in a citizen of the world,              %
%    than the pride that divides, when a colourful rag is unfurled."        %
%                                           - Neil Peart (RUSH)             %
%                                                                           %
% JANET      S61304@uk.ac.psw.pa                                            %
% BITNET     S61304@pa.psw.ac.uk                                            %
% INTERNET   S61304%uk.ac.psw.pa@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                         %
%                                                                           %
%Disclaimer: I have no opinion, my wife wouldn't let me!                    %
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (12/02/89)

In article <8912010805.AA03513@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
     S61304@PRIME-A.POLY-SOUTH-WEST.AC.UK (Rat) writes ...

>Being a beginning C programmer, I have managed to coax my copy of Sozobon
>Version 1.01 to compile, link and all that sort of stuff on single files.
>However I have not used anything other than the supplied CC utility, to
>drive all the other elements (hcc and top etc) and especially I haven't
>yet managed to get 'make' to work. This has slowed to a total halt my efforts
>to compile up the version 1.2 of Sozobon (supplied in source format only :-(

Ieee! Source code only? The net distribution included binaries as well as
sources.

>I have tried to use the make facility on the supplied files. I had my normal
>Soz C work disk in the A drive and the 1.2 source in a ram disk, installed
>as drive d:. I then made the source files the active window and ran the make
>utility by selecting it using the right-left double click technique and then
>selecting open from the desktop. But it still didn't work.

Under (almost) no circumstances should you try to use any of the Sozobon
programs directly from the Desktop. In this example, how are cc and make
supposed to know where to find hcc, top, ld and jas? They look at the
environment, which is for all practical purposes the dark side of the moon
if you run from the Desktop. If PATH= doesn't point to the folder that
contains the executables, and the executables are not in the current
working directory, the compile will fail.

>I do have a copy of the Gulam shell, but I haven't used it very much yet.
>However I will dig it out and blow the dust off it if necessary.

Do so. Definitely.

In addition to providing a proper environment string, Gulam (or any other
competent shell) will pass arguments to the Sozobon compiler and utilities
without mangling them. GEM Desktop uppercases everything, and the Sozobon
programs are sensitive to the case of arguments. cc -o and cc -O do not
mean the same thing.

   -- Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (UUCP)

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/05/89)

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) writes:
| Under (almost) no circumstances should you try to use any of the Sozobon
| programs directly from the Desktop. In this example, how are cc and make
| supposed to know where to find hcc, top, ld and jas? They look at the
| environment, which is for all practical purposes the dark side of the moon
| if you run from the Desktop.

Honk!  There's a program, SETENV or somesuch, which sets the
environment up for the desktop, and hence for all of it's children.  It
can be useful for people (like me) who _like_ to use the Desktop.  I
don't know if this program is in any of the archives of comp.binaries
or comp.sources, but it should be.  I got it off of BIX, I believe.
And then there's the mythical DA environment setter I was working on
which got mowed over by TT TOS for the time being...

| In addition to providing a proper environment string, Gulam (or any other
| competent shell) will pass arguments to the Sozobon compiler and utilities
| without mangling them. GEM Desktop uppercases everything [...]

The Desktop stopped doing that as of Mega TOS.  Rainbow TOS doesn't mangle
args in the TTP box either.  Yet Another Reason To Get Rainbow TOS.
YARTGRT?  nevermind..
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (12/08/89)

From article <1852@atari.UUCP>, by kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher):
> steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) writes:
> | In addition to providing a proper environment string, Gulam (or any other
> | competent shell) will pass arguments to the Sozobon compiler and utilities
> | without mangling them. GEM Desktop uppercases everything [...]

> The Desktop stopped doing that as of Mega TOS.  Rainbow TOS doesn't mangle
> args in the TTP box either.  Yet Another Reason To Get Rainbow TOS.
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

One good thing came from that original bug in the Desktop, Dan Wilga
wrote Neodesk.  It still supports a proper environment string (which
you have to set up) and probably could run Soz C.  So people with and
without TOS 1.4 can run good stuff from a<n excellent> desktop.

	Damn news posting program wants more original input, so here's
a short description of NeoDesk.  ND replaces the desktop with an
enhanced version, it can remain resident (about 230K) and function
just like the desktop, or it can leave only 21k in Ram as programs
execute, reloading afterwards (slow! w/o pinhed 8-)).  It supports
icons for every possible program name or extension, which can be
created in its own icon editor.  It improves on the desktop in many
subtle ways: printer icon for printing with spooling, so double clicking on
a non executable icon immediately shows its contents on the screen - it
can run a command interpreter on batch files -  it does a correct application
install - allows "program icons" to be placed on the desktop, so you
don't have to shuffle through all your hard drive folders to execute
those programs, has keyboard equivalents for many menu and desktop
operations, and more that I forget (improved disk and file copy,
formatting to real IBM, sets date and time correctly, allows file MOVES...
8-)).

Speaking of reloading and such can anyone tell me why the Laser C (2.1)
shell loads external programs so fast?  I run it with Pinhed,
TurboSt 1.6, and TurboDos 1.05, and it beats the desktop and NeoDesk
(2.03) all to pieces.

On speedups and the reverse, I pulled out my HabaWriter 1.1 (the debugged
version) and ran it with TurboST.  Very amused to find that TurboST
makes it acceptably fast, but it still won't do double spacing.
TurboSt 1.6 slows one program drastically, Opus 1.? (from STLog), the
lines dividing the cells take forever to draw.  TurboST 1.6 (on Monochrome)
also blows up if it's in Multidesk and Neodesk runs afterwards.

Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu <@ U.of Vt.>)

UNM409@DBNRHRZ1.BITNET (12/13/89)

Hello all,

in Info-Atari16 Digest #753, imagen!atari!kbad@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
(Ken Badertscher) writes:

>Honk!  There's a program, SETENV or somesuch, which sets the
>environment up for the desktop, and hence for all of it's children.  It
>can be useful for people (like me) who _like_ to use the Desktop.

I have one such program as well.   It was posted here a while ago in asm
source form.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it to work with TOS 1.4.
I haven't found the time to figure out why.

Incidentally, since there is a "Move" command, and since the desktop now
preserves the file date/time entry, I have resumed to use the desktop.
I like it, too!

>And then there's the mythical DA environment setter I was working on
>which got mowed over by TT TOS for the time being...

OK, so I'll withhold my suggestions for TOS 1.8 until you're done with that
environment setter DA we're all waiting for. :-)

Bitnet:  VBRANDT@DBNUAMA1 (will go away some day ...)  Volker A. Brandt
          UNM409@DBNRHRZ1 (alternative)                Angewandte Mathematik
UUCP:    ...!unido!DBNUAMA1.bitnet!vbrandt             (Bonn, West Germany)
ARPAnet: VBRANDT%DBNUAMA1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU