[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari ST Basic, Compiler ?????

ben@cit5.cit.oz (Nino Benci) (12/12/89)

This may be some what of an ignorant question BUT here goes.

Having written in ST Basic (I KNOW, DON'T FLAME ME) some engineering
programs for antennae design and helical filter design, i was wanting
to improve (with ST Basic, HA!) the programs and produce runtime only code
rather than having to rely on the interpreter environment.

So, is there available (?) a compiler, even PD for ST Basic. If not i will
have to rewrite the programs in GFA Basic V3.0 (after i buy it) or even in
Hisoft Power Basic (also if i buy it). Any help or even enlightenment would
be most appreciated.

* Nino Benci. ben@cit5.cit.oz         * Some times i wonder, Why do we do it *
* Internet.                           * But then i,m resigned to the fact    *
* ben%cit5.cit@munnari.cs.oz.au	(??)  * that we control our own destiny      *
* Chisholm Institute of Technology    * 				     *
* School of Digital Technology        * 				     *
* 900 Dandenong Rd, Caulfield East    *				             *
* VIC, 3145. Tel (03) 573 2355/2519   *				             *
* AUSTRALIA			      *                                      *

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/13/89)

	Hi Soft claims and is fairly (I'd say 99%) compatible with
	ST Basic...

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (12/13/89)

In article <1989Dec12.060528.1239@cit5.cit.oz> ben@cit5.cit.oz (Nino Benci) writes:
...[edited]...
>Having written in ST Basic (I KNOW, DON'T FLAME ME) some engineering
>programs for antennae design and helical filter design, i was wanting
>to improve (with ST Basic, HA!) the programs and produce runtime only code
>rather than having to rely on the interpreter environment.

There was one available comercially, and it did a pretty good job.
Generally, you could take a functional ST BASIC program, run the
compiler on it, and have an identically executing (but much faster)
stand alone program. It also provided a testable variable which had
different values under the interpreter and the compiler for resolving the
few idiosyncracies that popped up. It was from Logical Design Works,
and called, reasonably, The ST BASIC Compiler. I don't know the
current status of it here in the USA, let alone down under.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA