[comp.sys.atari.st] THANKS Dave Small for doing legal calls -- Adobe Type Manager

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (12/13/89)

Hello all,

    The fact that David Small's Spectre GCR is so very legal while doing
calls is such a blessing.  His emulator greatly extends the power of the
Atari ST.
    I have spent all morning using Adobe Type Manager on the Spectre GCR.
This one package has stopped most of my thoughts of selling my HP DeskJet
for a laser (in spite of slower speed, water soluable ink, etc.).  Amazingly,
the Spectre GCR can run Adobe Type Manager and very well, thank you.
    With the Atari ST, Spectre GCR, HP DeskJet, and Adobe Type Manager,
I just collected some nice Christmas money by preparing flyer masters
using fonts that measure over 2 1/2" tall!!!  The fonts for these monsters
have absolutely NO jaggies.  Nope, none at all.
    Being the simpleton that I am, my needs are slight.  I don't need
Type 3 fonts and so forth.  In fact, the fonts supplied by Adobe are more
than adequate for my needs.  Indeed, for $57.00 from Mac Zone software,
I was able to get Adobe Type Master and fonts for TIMES, HELVETICA, COURIER,
and SYMBOL.
    And it all WORKS!  The speed is not that bad either, whether we are
talking about the printer or the screen.  Of course, I am on a four megged
MegaST, so that might make a difference.
    More postive strokes... in the room with me, as I type, are several
Macintoshers.  They are seeing this ST running FullWrite (document
processor--memory hog), RedRyder (terminal program that I'm typing on
now), and StuffIt (an archive utility) all by way of MultiFinder.  All of
these programs are on-line, right now, on my ST as I type this letter.
    Sorry about occuping net space and your time but experiences like
this cause some enthusiasm and a need to share it with others, albeit all
over the planet.  THANKS  to David Small for making this possible.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (12/14/89)

In article <891212.14343434.031382@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET
(Z4648252) writes:
> Being the simpleton that I am, my needs are slight.  I don't need
> Type 3 fonts and so forth.  In fact, the fonts supplied by Adobe are more
> than adequate for my needs.  Indeed, for $57.00 from Mac Zone software,
> I was able to get Adobe Type Master and fonts for TIMES, HELVETICA,
COURIER,
> and SYMBOL.

 Unfortunately, since we can't use Type 3 fonts for the time being, we
are locked into buying Adobe and LinoType Type 1 fonts which are
very expensive$$$!  The Type 3's are much cheaper (though of less quality)
but you can find them in the PD are from small font houses for $25.
 I'm glad everythings working out great.  Ain't Dave too incredible
sometimes.

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

"And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
 Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball."
                                   A.A. Milne "Now We are Six"