[comp.sys.atari.st] Problem with Uniterm 2.0e

csrobe@CS.WM.EDU (Chip Roberson) (12/01/88)

I am using Uniterm 2.0e and I have a problem when the remote machine
fails to answer the phone and the modem says NO CARRIER.  Uniterm
says that it is still "DIAL"ing on the status line and any keypress
causes Uniterm to attempt a redial.  The only exception is that CTL-C
will make the modem abort the call, but Uniterm is still "DIAL"ing.
If I hit CTL-C again, Uniterm attempts another redial.  So far, my
only way out of this situation is to REBOOT my machine.

Can someone please tell me what I've done to deserve this treatment
and how I can correct it.  (Sorry Simon, I couldn't find your e-mail
address).  If it helps, I'm using a "HAYES compatible" Practical
Peripherals PM2400SA modem @ 2400 baud.

-c
Chip Roberson                ARPANET:  csrobe@cs.wm.edu
1328-F Mt. Vernon Ave.       BITNET:   #csrobe@wmmvs.bitnet
Williamsburg, VA 23185       UUCP:     ...!uunet!pyrdc!gmu90x!wmcs!csrobe

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/07/89)

I'm using Uniterm V2.0e and I have a recurring problem....
I get put into some sort of wierd graphics mode intermittently.
I suspect this is one of the Textronix modes that the programs
supports. I can't really recognize a pattern to it.
I always assumed it was being caused by some garbage being received
at the modem and interpreted as commands, but I don't even know if
this is a feasible cause.
Any one have this problem ?  Any comments ?
Do I have something setup wrong ?
If I can get some sort of answer or suggestion about this I would
appreciate it. If I don't get anywhere, I am planning to try to
get a note to Simon Poole via the net so that he will know about this.
thanks,
keith

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|   " Tragedy plus time = comedy "                                  |

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/08/89)

Addendum:

Currently, the way I recover from this is to move the mouse until the
'I' cursor appears, click the right mouse button, select reset.
This resets the terminal and puts me back in the right mode.

I am using a Mega2 ST, stock, with a Megafile 30 HD and a color monitor.

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/08/89)

Thanks to Mark Storin for help on this problem.
The solution was to go to the settings menu and turn off
Tektronix graphics mode. I hadn't been in that screen before and
didn't know the switch was there.

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) (12/08/89)

Under the settings menu item, select disabled for 4010 mode. Then save your
defaults. Modem noise won't bother the graphics mode anymore.

Bruce Nelson

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (12/14/89)

In article <2227@kodak.UUCP> nelson@kodak.UUCP (Bruce Nelson) writes:
>Under the settings menu item, select disabled for 4010 mode. Then save your
>defaults. Modem noise won't bother the graphics mode anymore.
>
>Bruce Nelson

Additionally :

You can get back into text mode (without the RESET) by using one of the
ALT + FUNCTION-KEY sequences to "Enter TEXT mode".  While I cannot remember
which one it is now, pressing the <HELP> key will get you to the screen
where the screen display shows you the FKEY settings.

...walt...

Walt Weber               Hewlett Packard NARC @ Apollo Systems Division
-The views expressed herein are personal, and not binding on ANYONE-
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw