[comp.sys.atari.st] booting from floppy

parker@vlsic2 (James Parker) (12/12/89)

Boot from floppy with ICDBOOT software

I am having a problem trying to boot from the floppy disk while
using the latest (at least I think the latest, less than 2 mths old)
ICDBOOT software with my hard drive.

According to the manual, if I depress Ctrl/Shift/Alt while booting, the
computer will boot from the floppy instead of autobooting from the
hard-drive.  I have a copy of ICDBOOT.prg in A:\AUTO folder but not in
C:\AUTO as instructed in the docs.

Well....no luck.
I have tried all combinations of softboot/hardboot, wait till the floppy
lite comes on and goes off, and so on as recommended in the ICD docs
that I got with the kit...and all I get is the default ROM desktop.
It doesn't autoboot from the hard-drive, but it doesn't read the floppy
either, it just comes up with the ROM 2-icon desktop.

The whole point was so I could boot from floppy on those rare occasions when
I wanted to use a GDOS application.  I have a stock 1040ST with TOS 1.4.
Can anyone shed any light on this situation?  (And I don't mean get G+PLUS!).

Thanx for any replies.

james parker

wallace@oldtmr.dec.com (Ray Wallace) (12/13/89)

In article <101870@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, parker@vlsic2 (James Parker) writes...
>I am having a problem trying to boot from the floppy disk while
>
>hard-drive.  I have a copy of ICDBOOT.prg in A:\AUTO folder but not in
Remove ICDBOOT.PRG from a:\auto then cold boot the system with
contol/shift/alt. Desktop.inf, DA's and \auto programs will all come from the
floppy. If you want access to the HD then manualy run ICDBOOT.PRG.

---
Ray Wallace
		(INTERNET,UUCP) wallace@oldtmr.enet.dec.com
		(UUCP)		...!decwrl!oldtmr.enet!wallace
		(INTERNET)	wallace%oldtmr.enet@decwrl.dec.com
---

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (12/13/89)

>According to the manual, if I depress Ctrl/Shift/Alt while booting, the
>computer will boot from the floppy instead of autobooting from the
>hard-drive.  I have a copy of ICDBOOT.prg in A:\AUTO folder but not in
>C:\AUTO as instructed in the docs.

This works for me.  Are you sure the docs say to put icdboot.prg in the
AUTO folder on A:?  When I want to boot from floppy, I don't care to
have access to the hard disc, so I don't have it on my A:.  Holding C/S/A
will boot from the floppy, not holding will autoboot from the hard disc.

>I have tried all combinations of softboot/hardboot, wait till the floppy
>lite comes on and goes off, and so on as recommended in the ICD docs
>that I got with the kit...and all I get is the default ROM desktop.
>It doesn't autoboot from the hard-drive, but it doesn't read the floppy
>either, it just comes up with the ROM 2-icon desktop.

Have you saved a different desktop on your A:?  Make sure your computer is
turned completely off.  I've noticed funny stuff when touching the reset
button when Ihave the ICD hard driver stuff loaded.  It seems to boot from
the hard disc much faster.

>Thanx for any replies.
>james parker
----------

Your welcome.  Hope this helps.

-Bob

 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
| Bob Waltenspiel                   | e-mail: bobw@hpsad (hplabs!hpsad!..)    |
| ATE Software Team                 | Telnet: 794-3091                        |
| HP Signal Analysis Division       | AT&T: (707) 794-3091                    |
| 1212 Valley House Dr.             | HPDesk: Bob WALTENSPIEL/HP5300/A0       |
| Rohnert Park, CA 94928-4999       | HP Mailstop: 1UR-M                      |
 ----------------------------------- -----------------------------------------

Although Pooh's head was stuffed with fluff, he was a cheerful fellow.

mui@atari.UUCP (Derek Mui) (12/13/89)

in article <101870@ti-csl.csc.ti.com>, parker@vlsic2 (James Parker) says:

> Boot from floppy with ICDBOOT software
>
> I am having a problem trying to boot from the floppy disk while
> using the latest (at least I think the latest, less than 2 mths old)
> ICDBOOT software with my hard drive.
>
> According to the manual, if I depress Ctrl/Shift/Alt while booting, the
> computer will boot from the floppy instead of autobooting from the
> hard-drive.  I have a copy of ICDBOOT.prg in A:\AUTO folder but not in
> C:\AUTO as instructed in the docs.

	Try this:

	Turn off the machine, wait for 10 seconds and turn it back on.
	Hold down the Alternate Key as soon as you see the screen turns
	white.

	I hope it works ...

							Derek Mui
							Atari Corp

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed here are my own

marc@cpsc.UCalgary.CA (Marc Schroeder) (12/14/89)

In article <101870@ti-csl.csc.ti.com> parker@vlsic2 (James Parker) writes:

>Boot from floppy with ICDBOOT software
>
>I am having a problem trying to boot from the floppy disk while
>using the latest (at least I think the latest, less than 2 mths old)
>ICDBOOT software with my hard drive.
>
>According to the manual, if I depress Ctrl/Shift/Alt while booting, the
>computer will boot from the floppy instead of autobooting from the
>hard-drive.  I have a copy of ICDBOOT.prg in A:\AUTO folder but not in
>C:\AUTO as instructed in the docs.

 [... Extra deleted ...]

Hmm.. My manual says to hold down [ALT] when trying to boot from floppy
(press it and hold it down until the drive light stays on).

  /\ _  _      \        iNet/Envoy : m.schroeder (org. id = kort)
 (  / \/ \    / \       e-mail     : marc@cpsc.UCalgary.CA
   /  /  /   /   \      Fidonet    : Marc Schroeder @ 1:134/47
        \__/

 Marc A. Schroeder      * 1st year computer science
                          University of Calgary