[comp.sys.atari.st] ATM on the Spectre GCR continued...

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (12/14/89)

Sorry folks,

    ...but I'm getting a lot of bounced mail.  The following letter and
my reply to him may be of benefit to others, though...

----
Thanks for the info on Adobe Type Manager and Spectre.

I was wondering what printer driver you use and how that ties
in to ATM? I use the Grappler LS driver under Spectre to drive
my deskjet, and it comes with a set of fonts called G-Dutch and
G-Swiss. I get 300-dpi fonts (no jaggies), because the Grappler Driver
uses the 4x version of the screen font to print to the Deskjet (e.g.,
the 12-point screen font is printed using the corresponding 48-point
font).

Would ATM make my printer driver unnecessary? Thanks for any info,

Rana Dutt
rcd@mtqua.att.com
----
Rana,

    I've a feeling that Grappler LS drivers may have a fit with ATM,
but I have not tested the Grappler program yet.  The reason that I say
that is because Grappler LS does not support PostScript, so they say.
    ATM still requires a printer driver.  The one that I really like
is from DataPak.  I don't know its price, though.
    I understand that there are several PD/shareware drivers
out there.  I believe that they are listed in Dave Small's newsletter.
    At LISTSERV@RICE, there are two files which are in the domain:

              DESKJET-DRIVER and DESKJET-DRIVER-MANUAL.

    To get these type:

         $MACARCH GET UTIL/DESKJET-DRIVER.HQX
         $MACARCH GET UTIL/DESKJET-DRIVER-MANUAL.HQX

    I have found that the smaller fonts are cleaner than Grappler's.
Also, you can save a lot of disk space with ATM.  All you need are the
10 and 12 points of the font family to get sizes up to whatever.  I'm
able to use 100 point with no problem at all.
    Installation is not particularly clear via the manual (sound
familiar?).  Basically, you merely install the outline fonts in
your System Folder (generous samples are on the ATM disk) and install
ATM's bitmap fonts into the System program.
    ATM claims that if you already have bitmapped fonts of the same
name as that supplied by ATM, that you don't need to replace those.
However, my bitmapped fonts were really huge in space since they
went above 12 point in size.  ATM only needs a maximum of 12 point
to give you beautiful type so I swapped fonts.
    Obviously, if you are using a large font for a utility, such
as SuperClock, then you'd want to keep that point size.  I've found
that utilities will not access ATM.  ATM is only used via document
processors.  Also, no skewing of characters, or character rotation
is supported by ATM.
    Be sure to read on the net all the corrections that other users
will be making of my letter!  I'm sure that I've goofed up somewhere
in trying to explain all of this.  At any rate, ATM is a great
addition to the Spectre GCR.  I love it.
    Even at a list price of $99.00, it is a great program.

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

mjv@iris.brown.edu (Marshall Vale) (12/14/89)

In article <891213.12254953.033065@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET
(Z4648252) writes:
> Be sure to read on the net all the corrections that other users
> will be making of my letter!  I'm sure that I've goofed up somewhere
> in trying to explain all of this.

  Naaaw, you didn't have any goof-up's.  I just want to add some little
points in.

> ATM claims that if you already have bitmapped fonts of the same
> name as that supplied by ATM, that you don't need to replace those.
> However, my bitmapped fonts were really huge in space since they
> went above 12 point in size.  ATM only needs a maximum of 12 point
> to give you beautiful type so I swapped fonts.

 With ATM, you can produce fonts as large as 8000+ pts or 255 times the
size of your largest bitmap font.  If you have a 12 point font then you
can get produce 3060 pt. size font.  I doubt you'll run into this barrier
soon.  I would suggest keeping the small point sizes installed in the
system size they don't take up much room and they look so much nicer than
what ATM can produce.

> Obviously, if you are using a large font for a utility, such
> as SuperClock, then you'd want to keep that point size.  I've found
> that utilities will not access ATM.  ATM is only used via document
> processors.

 Probably since they're not getting the font info the 'legal' way.  Since
ATM only looks at one place to intercept the font calls, if the utility
by-passes, then no go.

> Also, no skewing of characters, or character rotation
> is supported by ATM.

 I have an ad right here for a program that supposedly does some of that.
Its called _Type Align_ by Emerald City Software (list $99).  It says
that its a DA that lets you draw lines and then type text in.  The text
will then map to that line.  Its written for use with ATM, or so the
claim in ad goes.  This ad is in MacWeek, December 5.

-- mjv@iris.brown.edu

"And, oh! Father Christmas, if you love me at all,
 Bring me a big, red india-rubber ball."
                                   A.A. Milne "Now We are Six"