[comp.sys.atari.st] A few questions on CAD 3D II and Cyber-animation

jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi (12/13/89)

Can the CAD 3D II use more than 1 meg of memory? That is, can I use more
and/or more complicated objects if I have over 1 MB of memory?

Is there some way to play Cyber-animations from Hard Disk? In that way I
could have even 80 MB (or over) of continuous Cyber-animation. Is this
possible?

Please, inform me because I am going to buy a hard disk and a memory
upgrade.

				Jouni Alkio

jonathan@hcr.uucp (Jonathan Fischer) (12/16/89)

In article <1632.25855bdf@cc.helsinki.fi> jalkio@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>Can the CAD 3D II use more than 1 meg of memory? That is, can I use more
>and/or more complicated objects if I have over 1 MB of memory?
>
>Is there some way to play Cyber-animations from Hard Disk? In that way I
>could have even 80 MB (or over) of continuous Cyber-animation. Is this
>possible?

	Yes to both questions.  In fact, I find CAD 3D II pretty crippled
in 1 Meg unless I remove almost everything from C:\AUTO.  And yes, on
Compuserve I saw a program which plays large .DLT animation files directly
from the hard drive.  Perhaps someone who has already downloaded it can
send it to comp.binaries.atari.st.  If not, maybe I'll try to find it
again on Compuserve.

	I kind of wish I had more time to play with CAD 3D, Cyber Control,
et al.  It's really ideal software for a 'personal computer.'  You can have
so much fun (for a great deal of work) creating objects and doing strange
and twisted things to them.  I've even put some animations on video tape,
thanks to Practical Solutions video cable.  In a sense, the Cyber system
really represents what I bought a home system for in the first place --
being creative, and doing neat graphic doodads, just for the fun of it.

	Maybe if I ever get a TT (smiley alert), I won't have to wait so
long for CAD 3D to do anything.  If only Tom Hudson hadn't used floating
point... you can still accomplish everything with 'fixed-point' or even
just integer coordinates on a very large scale.
--
Jonathan Fischer	     HCR Corp		    Toronto, Ontario, Canada