[comp.sys.atari.st] Still searching...

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (11/25/89)

I'm still looking for some kind of information about how to program
the new chips in the STe.

Anything would help.

Atari Corp.?  Some German user who can translate the article in the latest
number of ST Magazin? (I don't speak german)

If there're any intererest I can post something like a "Programming the STE"
to the net. I'll write one, anyhow.

PLEASE, do comment on this message!

--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstav. 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (11/28/89)

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:

| I'm still looking for some kind of information about how to program
| the new chips in the STe.

Atari Corp. policy is that we offer developer support to registered
developers, not to end users.  I know how you feel about the issue,
and I'm sorry if you feel "left out."  It seems to me, though, that it
just wouldn't be cost effective for us to offer the level of technical
support we give to developers to end users.

Incidentally, developers who ask can get STE release notes from Atari.
I believe it is a requirement to be "re-registered" under our new
nondisclosure policy.  This new registration is free of charge for
registered developers and will allow us to provide better support to
developers actively working on ST products.  This is part of the
improved developer support program which was announced at COMDEX.
US developers can find out more by contacting Gail Johnson at Atari.
--
   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (11/29/89)

In article <1830@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> Atari Corp. policy is that we offer developer support to registered
> developers, not to end users.  I know how you feel about the issue,
> and I'm sorry if you feel "left out."  It seems to me, though, that it
> just wouldn't be cost effective for us to offer the level of technical
> support we give to developers to end users.
>
> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Ken, I know that you are the wrong person to ask but since you read
USENET here goes. I have asked John Townsend on GEnie the same (only
yesterday) and I expect him to respond there.

I understand that REGISTERED developers can buy Atari hardware at a
discount ( I heard 50%). I have been investigating IBM PCs, Amigas,
and Macs, and I still feel that GEM/AES/VDI is easier to program on
than the systems on the other machines. I own a Mega ST4 (etc) and
might be interested in buying a TT/p (even with all of its shortcomings)
if I could get it at a Developer's 50% discount.

But, while I am writing some ShareWare programs (mainly to support FoReM
ST) I haven't tried to develop COMMERICAL programs. So, would my ShareWare
programs qualify me as an Atari Developer?? Or would I have to go to the
trouble (and expense) of selling my programs?? I make enough money at my
fulltime job that the small amount I would make off of my FoReM utilities
wouldn't mean much to me. The programs are only of interest to FoReM system
operators.

But, it would be nice to buy a TT/p at the developer's price. In fact, that
is the ONLY way I would buy a TT/p. And maybe I coulf think of some commerical
applications for it once I get it.

So, what are the requirements for a registered developers?? John Townsend
has said on GEnie that RDs need to submit a Business Plan and Products to
Atari, or already have sold ST products. That leaves me out, as all I want
is to sell some small ShareWare programs.

Rich Covert

rogers@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Bob Rogers) (11/29/89)

In article <1830@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>Atari Corp. policy is that we offer developer support to registered
>developers, not to end users.  I know how you feel about the issue,
>and I'm sorry if you feel "left out."  It seems to me, though, that it
>just wouldn't be cost effective for us to offer the level of technical
>support we give to developers to end users.

What happened to Atari's plans to publish and sell professional quality
documentation?  Earlier this year the Atari spokesman on GEnie said that
it was nearly ready to go to the printers.

Why is Atari the only maker of mass-market computers that doesn't publish
technical info or at least work with publishers preparing such material?
--
----
Bob Rogers                    rogers@stpaul.ncr.com  or  rogers@pnet51.cts.com

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (11/30/89)

>In article <1830@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>>Atari Corp. policy is that we offer developer support to registered
>>developers, not to end users.  I know how you feel about the issue,
>>and I'm sorry if you feel "left out."  It seems to me, though, that it
>>just wouldn't be cost effective for us to offer the level of technical
>>support we give to developers to end users.

I'm still carping.  If the TOS 1.4 documentation is indicative of what Atari
documentation is going to be like in the future, it's a gigantic step in a
good direction.  But I still think that making a listing of ROM contents, as
of some major freeze date, with comments, available to registered developers
would be a GOOD THING.  Extra charges, extra confidentiality agreements and
big red warnings "This is provided only as a supplement to <other documents>;
Atari guarantees to break any program dependent on OS features not promised
elsewhere" would be acceptable.  Although I also don't see any need to make
such a thing confidential.  I do see the need for warnings.
                                    Steve J.

glk01126@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/30/89)

	You silly goose, if 50% were taken off the price of a TT, then
everyone would send in the $500 to become a registered developer!

	-Spieu!

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (12/02/89)

In article <1830@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>
> | I'm still looking for some kind of information about how to program
> | the new chips in the STe.
>
> Atari Corp. policy is that we offer developer support to registered
> developers, not to end users.  I know how you feel about the issue,
> and I'm sorry if you feel "left out."  It seems to me, though, that it
> just wouldn't be cost effective for us to offer the level of technical
> support we give to developers to end users.

Except for the fact that I don't give much for Atari Corp. policy,
I still think this is an isane behaviour.  In short sight, it might not
pay off informing end users, but I can assure you -- you won't be able
to sell a lot of computers if you don't tell them how to program it!

I do understand it is impossible to, for example, send out information
to each and every user that bought a ST, but it must be possible to
post a minimum of information to some knowledgeable people in the right
places.

The net, if used right, could be a source of inside information about
how to do things [like the posting of ARGV defs! *GREAT*] and what not
to do. And there're a lot of developers on the net, too.

And people from the net DO forward things to the right places. In a
few days, many more than those who read news would know.  Interesting
information is spread further through FidoNet and by mail, personal
contacts and phone calls.

Let's say that I tell 15 people how to do.  They tell 15 more each,
and in a week at least 15^5 persons would know how to do.  This is
around 760000 people! (To be compared to around 400000 STs in Sweden...)

This isn't cost effective?

"Who ask"?

It should at least be "cost effective" to give this information to
developers without them having to ask!  It is ATARI that should be trying
to get more customers, more developers and more programming done on the
ST -- this implicates more STs sold. Right?  Not the so called end user
trying furiosly to get his computer.

Why should I buy a computer I can't use?  Like buying a car and when
you ask for an explanation of the buttons getting the answer: "Sorry,
you have to be a registred driver to get to know this.  You shouldn't
know about more than the gear and the wheel."

A lot of people have been complaining on Atari Corp. lately, and even
more people have been complaining about this.

Have nobody thought of the possibility that there might be something
wrong? Why should we otherwise be bashing Atari? No, we only want to get
the most out of the computer.

Someone wrote that there must be a lot of people who wanted to take
care of one bug each.  I would love to, but I don't think this is possible.
But we ARE doing our best to help!
I have offered to help writing some demonstration programs to be put
on the STE language disk. I haven't even got a reply.   Atari Corp. was
obviosly not interested.

I do not want Atari Corp. to die -- I want to have an Atari computer,
otherwise I wouldn't have bought a STE.  But I do want to be able to program
it without paying more money than necessary money for it!

[BTW, I will soon post a couple of examples of how to program the STE.
 A lot of thanks to Ralph Haglund, qralph@dna.lth.se, for the translation
 from german!]

 And to those from Atari who're reading this:   Wouldn't it have been
cost effective posting slightly more than two pages of text to the net?
 One thing more:  Why not give this to the responsible people? I know
it isn't your fault, Ken and Allan.

Disclaimer:  After all, this is *MY* opinion.

--
    Daniel Deimert, Fridstavagen 4, S-715 94 Odensbacken, SWEDEN
    Internet:	daniel@pkmab.se
    UUCP:	...{uunet,mcvax}!sunic.sunet.se!kullmar!pkmab!daniel

EESD11O@CALSTATE.BITNET (Ed Krimen) (12/02/89)

Re: Still searching...

Spieu! wrote:

> You silly goose, if 50% were taken off the price of a TT, then
> everyone would send in the $500 to become a registered developer!

During Thanksgiving vacation I went to an ST dealer in San Francisco
and the technician told me that he ordered two TTs the previous day at
$1000 a piece.  He said that when he got them at the end of December, he
wanted to be locked up in a room for a month to develop on it.  He said
that the retail price would be $2000.  STart magazine said they would
be sold for $1500.

So, I guess Atari's going to be getting a lot of registered developers,
according to Spieu.  :~)

The tech also ordered an STe, he said.

The dealer said his Portfolios were selling like crazy.  No word on the
STACY.

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/05/89)

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
| I can assure you -- you won't be able
| to sell a lot of computers if you don't tell them how to program it!

I seriously doubt that the _majority_ of people who buy Atari
computers, or any other computers for that matter, have the slightest
desire to program their machines.  The simple fact is, most people who
buy computers want to _use_ their computers.  They don't want to be
bothered with "programming" the things.  Where a computer company
will lose is if there is no software available for the computers.  It
is important to make sure that professional programmers know how to
program the computers, not end users.

| [...] it must be possible to post a minimum of information to some
| knowledgeable people in the right places.

Who is "knowledgeable"?  What is "the right place"?  How much
information is "a minimum"?
And what do you call the information we have been posting?
Chopped liver?

| And there're a lot of developers on the net, too.

In fact, only a tiny percentage of commercial ST developers are active
on the net.

| And people from the net DO forward things to the right places.

It's true that net.info gets spread around quite a bit.  It's also
true that it gets warped on the way out.  People are misquoted.  The
information may be wrongly interpreted at the far end, with no chance
of the person(s) responsible for the original post to clear up the
mistakes.

[interesting chain letter analogy deleted]

| It should at least be "cost effective" to give this information to
| developers without them having to ask!

Registered developers get a lot of information without having to ask
anything more than "Where's my developer kit?"

| Why should I buy a computer I can't use?  Like buying a car and when
| you ask for an explanation of the buttons getting the answer: "Sorry,
| you have to be a registred driver to get to know this.  You shouldn't
| know about more than the gear and the wheel."

Why do so many people use this analogy?  A computer is not a car.
A computer is a computer.  But, since you insist, getting technical
information (on a level equivalent to "How do I program DMA sound?")
from an auto manufacturer isn't all that easy either.  Try it some time.

| Have nobody thought of the possibility that there might be something
| wrong? Why should we otherwise be bashing Atari?

Okay, I'm donning my asbestos suit for this one, but here goes: I think
the reason that people bash Atari is BECAUSE THEY CAN. Because we are
active on the nets answering technical questions, people feel that
their input on how Atari should run its operation will be listened to.

WRONG.  The nets are not the right forum for that kind of
communication.  I pass on what I can to TPTB (The Powers That Be) at
Atari, but a lot more credence is (and should be!) placed in letters.
That's right, letters.  On paper.  Sent in envelopes.  Becuause it's
all too easy to sit at your computer reading netnews, and fling a flame
into an electronic message thread without thinking too hard about it.
Most people think a little harder before putting something on paper and
mailing it.

| I have offered to help writing some demonstration programs to be put
| on the STE language disk. I haven't even got a reply.   Atari Corp. was
| obviosly not interested.

This concerns me.  To whom did you send the offer?  Where did you send
your letter?  Did you send an example program along with your offer?

| I do not want Atari Corp. to die [...]

Nor do I.  I hope you are able to get the information you want to program
your STE soon.  But remember, Atari gives registered developers special
treatment, and they deserve it, because they write the software that
sells Atari computers.

--

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (Buce Szablak) (12/06/89)

In article <1854@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> I seriously doubt that the _majority_ of people who buy Atari
> computers, or any other computers for that matter, have the slightest
> desire to program their machines...

While a "_majority_" of ST owners may not want to program their ST, every
ST owner I know of does at least some hacking.

> It is important to make sure that professional programmers know how to
> program the computers, not end users.

Sorry, you are way off base here. Most PD software comes from end-users
who in reality are "professional programmers" who don't wish/expect
to make a dime off of their efforts. BESIDES, aren't I (an end-user who uses
his ST to write programs for enjoyment) a valued customer????
Aren't my CUSTOMER needs important??? Your attitude really bothers me.

(Someone posted the suggestion that Atari follow Next's example when they
introduce the TT, and package GCC and utilities with each machine; that would
be a SMART move. I won't hold my breath...)

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/06/89)

In article <1854@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
> | I can assure you -- you won't be able
> | to sell a lot of computers if you don't tell them how to program it!
>
> I seriously doubt that the _majority_ of people who buy Atari
> computers, or any other computers for that matter, have the slightest
> desire to program their machines.  The simple fact is, most people who
> buy computers want to _use_ their computers.  They don't want to be
> bothered with "programming" the things.  Where a computer company
> will lose is if there is no software available for the computers.  It
> is important to make sure that professional programmers know how to
> program the computers, not end users.

Ken, that just isn't so!! *ALL* STers are hackers and coders!
The ST is soo much easier to program than an IBM PC or a Mac that naturally
*ALL* Real Programmers Program on STs!!

> | And there're a lot of developers on the net, too.
See, STers are programmers!!

> --
>    |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>    |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>   / | \  #include <disclaimer>
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

--
 Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
  (602) - 581-4652

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/06/89)

In article <874@lzaz.ATT.COM> bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (Buce Szablak) writes:

>(Someone posted the suggestion that Atari follow Next's example when they
>introduce the TT, and package GCC and utilities with each machine; that would
>be a SMART move. I won't hold my breath...)

Actually, it seems kind of silly to me. MOST ST's don't have the memory
or disk needed to run GCC, and MOST ST buyers don't know C. NeXT puts
GCC with their machine because it's a workstation.

Can you only imagine the confusion of buyers who receive 10 disks of
software, with no instructions, that they have no idea how to use, and
that they probably don't have the resources to run?

Now what Atari ought to do is make sure we PD developers can purchase
reasonably-priced documentation somewhere. I don't need phone support,
but I sure could use docs. The ST docs eventually became available from
3rd party sources, but I'd like to see STe and TT docs before 1991...

------
Greg Lindahl

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (12/06/89)

>I seriously doubt that the _majority_ of people who buy Atari
>computers, or any other computers for that matter, have the slightest
>desire to program their machines.  The simple fact is, most people who
>buy computers want to _use_ their computers.  They don't want to be
>bothered with "programming" the things.  Where a computer company
>will lose is if there is no software available for the computers.  It
>is important to make sure that professional programmers know how to
>program the computers, not end users.

Ken,
   Not to dispute your argument about the reason most people buy their
Atari ST's (to use pre-written code), but I bought my ST in my senior
year of high school to learn how to program.  I came from a back ground
of an Epson QX-10 using CP/M and I basically had to write any software
that I wanted to use (uncluding a word processor, network printer server,
music composer programs - all in CP/M using a variety of high level languages:
C and Pascal).

   When I first got my Atari, I was greatly disappointed at the availability
of software (mainly due to my location) also in the general desgin of the
ST (I have a 1040ST and the keys are a little akward and the 9 pin ports
are in a stange spot.)

  My point is, for home users like me (maybe 10%) the thrill in having the
computer is programming to solve problems, and have a lot of fun in doing
it.  And, in my programming of this machine that I have low expectations
of, I have really learned to like it allot.  In fact, since I had low
expecatations, the ST has done nothing but impress my since I bought it.
Maybe this is just my view point, but I bet there are allot of other
people out their that also have allot of fun just programming their ST to
solve problems or solve mathematical puzzles, and sometimes that means
knowing how to interface with the operating system.

  Maybe Atari could offer a smaller public version of operating system
technical references for people like me.  (This is not a complaint, I
like my ST and Atari.)  Sorry for making this sooooo long.

Mark Lehmann
bigtex!rpp386.cactus.org!mark

--
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |

ignac@electro.UUCP (Ignac Kolenko) (12/06/89)

In article <1854@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
>daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>| I have offered to help writing some demonstration programs to be put
>| on the STE language disk. I haven't even got a reply.   Atari Corp. was
>| obviosly not interested.
>
>This concerns me.  To whom did you send the offer?  Where did you send
>your letter?  Did you send an example program along with your offer?

that's interesting hearing this from daniel. i've had the same thing \
happen here in good old canada. almost 2 1/2 months ago, i got a call
here at work from atari canada (i think the guy i talked to was named
rotenburg, or something like that) about doing some graphics/sound
demos for the STE. at the time i said, "sure, why not". he then said
that it would be a couple of days before he could clear with his
superiors this idea so that he could ship an STE unit to me at
electrohome.

well, its been 2 1/2 months and i have yet to see hide nor hair of the
STE, or any call of explanation from atari canada. its too bad because
at the time of their initial offer, i had the spare time to actually try
to do some useful stuff on the STE. now i don't.

oh well ... life goes on.

--
=====Ignac A. Kolenko (The Ig)           watmath!watcgl!electro!ignac=====
     co-author of QuickST, and the entire line of Quick Shareware!!!!

kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) (12/07/89)

bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (Buce Szablak) writes:

| > It is important to make sure that professional programmers know how to
| > program the computers, not end users.

| Sorry, you are way off base here. Most PD software comes from end-users
[...]

I'm not way off base. I may be wrong in your case, and in fact I may be
wrong in the case of every person who reads comp.sys.atari.st!  But
active members of online communities aren not by any means
representative samples of ST owners.  If the online community were more
ubiquitous, I would grant that your experiences were representative,
but it isn't, so I can't.  My opinion is based on my experience working
in a computer store, working with user groups, supporting development
tools, and talking with Atari's user group and developer support people.
Users, by and large, want to use their computers.

As far as supporting hobbyist programmers, I take a pragmatic stance.
How much PD software comes from where is not directly important to a
computer maker.  It is certainly indirectly important, because a wide
variety of PD tools make a computer a lot more attractive to the
informed buyer.  But a wide variety of professional products make a
computer more attractive to the market at large.  A lot of people buy
the computer that runs the software that they want to run.  That is why
it is vital for computer makers to have a broad commercial software
base for their machines.  In order for that to happen, strong support
for the companies that produce that software must exist.

A side effect of having strong support for professional programmers is
that end users get supported as well.  More books get written by the
professionals, making more information available to the hobbyist than
the computer maker can hope to provide.  A broader base of technically
competent people exist to answer the questions of hobbyist programmers.
All these programmers will be happy because they can get their
questions answered and they can solve their problems without having to
stumble around in the dark too much.

| BESIDES, aren't I (an end-user who uses
| his ST to write programs for enjoyment) a valued customer????
| Aren't my CUSTOMER needs important??? Your attitude really bothers me.

Every customer is a valued customer.  You are an espeically valued
customer, because you take the time to give feedback on how you think
Atari is doing.  I'm sorry that my attitude bothers you, but I think
that it's a practical one.  I hope that I've clarified where I'm coming
from.

Please note: the opinions expressed in this article are mine and mine
alone.  Atari has its own.

--

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (12/07/89)

In article <1854@atari.UUCP>, kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

> daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
> | I can assure you -- you won't be able
> | to sell a lot of computers if you don't tell them how to program it!
>
> I seriously doubt that the _majority_ of people who buy Atari
> computers, or any other computers for that matter, have the slightest
> desire to program their machines.  The simple fact is, most people who

You might be right there - but what about the so well-known PD/SW programs?
There are a lot of goodies among these, like the Quick ST etc.
The programmers who make these programs are considered "end users", or..?

> buy computers want to _use_ their computers.  They don't want to be

Yes. Of course.  But _MANY_ of those have bought a computer to be able
to program it as well as use it! Otherwise they would have bought a video
game. The percentage who bought it as a business computer? Well, I guess
you can count it out. You haven't got a great reputation, you know.
The STE isn't going to do it any good either, nor the LYNX.

> | [...] it must be possible to post a minimum of information to some
> | knowledgeable people in the right places.
>
> Who is "knowledgeable"?  What is "the right place"?  How much
> information is "a minimum"?

"Knowledgeable" is for example the people who wrote Quick ST.  And there
are more people on the net (for example).  And the journalists of a
computer magazine such as the swedish one, "AtariSTen".  And that is the
right place, too.  It's not YOUR business -- but it is Atari Scandinavia's.

"A minimum" of information is, in this case, a list of adresses to the
new chips/enhanced chips and a _short_ explanation of what to put there.

I know you did this with early STs:  They got some kind of addendum with
a list of adresses to the PSG (complete with waweform diagrams!) and
such.  That's the kind of information I want.  Not internal TOS behaviour.
But the most important stuff, of course stripped compared to the dev. docs.
That doesn't matter.

Like now,  how easier everything would have been for me if the
source-code (in Turbo-C, I know.) to the demonstration programns would have
been there, right on the language disk.  I do think you had some spare
space, huh? Not of interest to all, no. But of great importance to others.

> And what do you call the information we have been posting?
> Chopped liver?

No, I don't. And I think I mentioned the fact that I thought this
was the way to handle things. (Like the ARGV defs -- wonderful!)
I refer to my earlier postings.

> | And there're a lot of developers on the net, too.
>
> In fact, only a tiny percentage of commercial ST developers are active
> on the net.

But it just MIGHT be "cost effective" to post it to the net, then?
Fine.

> | And people from the net DO forward things to the right places.
>
> It's true that net.info gets spread around quite a bit.  It's also
> true that it gets warped on the way out.  People are misquoted.  The
> information may be wrongly interpreted at the far end, with no chance
> of the person(s) responsible for the original post to clear up the
> mistakes.

Mostly it's correct.  KERMIT don't missquote things, I think.  Nor do
ZMODEM.
Maybe XMODEM does, I don't know :-)

This is no reason.  If you post something of any importance (like a
program or the ARGV stuff) it's not rewritten -- it's just sent
further by file transmission.
No missquoting there...

> [interesting chain letter analogy deleted]

Oh... :-)

> | It should at least be "cost effective" to give this information to
> | developers without them having to ask!
>
> Registered developers get a lot of information without having to ask
> anything more than "Where's my developer kit?"

This was your words. "Just them having to ask", or something like that.
Look in you article.

Reading all the messages from developers (the LOW percentage, remember?)
who aren't satisfied with the information, I can't agree with you.
But I don't really have inside information. We better leave the subject.

> | Why should I buy a computer I can't use?  Like buying a car and when
> | you ask for an explanation of the buttons getting the answer: "Sorry,
> | you have to be a registred driver to get to know this.  You shouldn't
> | know about more than the gear and the wheel."
>
> Why do so many people use this analogy?

Maybe because it's a good one?

>  A computer is not a car. A computer is a computer.

True, but you want to use your computer, just as you want to use your car.
And you want to program it, to drive it. At least some of us. :-)

>  But, since you insist, getting technical
> information (on a level equivalent to "How do I program DMA sound?")
> from an auto manufacturer isn't all that easy either.  Try it some time.

Maybe not, but I do think the auto man. would answer the question:
"Where are the ---SOMETHING---"?  ("At what adress is ---?")
And the car company cooperates with people writing books about "do it yourself".

But since you're not comfortable with this analogy, we'll leave that too.

> | Have nobody thought of the possibility that there might be something
> | wrong? Why should we otherwise be bashing Atari?
>
> Okay, I'm donning my asbestos suit for this one, but here goes: I think
> the reason that people bash Atari is BECAUSE THEY CAN. Because we are
> active on the nets answering technical questions, people feel that
> their input on how Atari should run its operation will be listened to.

Oh?  Since when have you been answering tech. questions from net people?
(Low end users?)  Not in this case, at least. (But again, I KNOW, I KNOW,
you have done that sometimes - that's why I got surprised of these
negative answers to my humble questions!)

> | I have offered to help writing some demonstration programs to be put
> | on the STE language disk. I haven't even got a reply.   Atari Corp. was
> | obviosly not interested.>
> This concerns me.  To whom did you send the offer?  Where did you send
> your letter?  Did you send an example program along with your offer?

I sent it by electronic mail to kbad@atari.UUCP, that is YOU. (Message
dated Fri Nov 24 12:26:13 1989, subject: Questions about the STE)

And NO, I did not send an example program -- I had still got no
information about how to program the STE, remember?
Since my english is a bit strange and foreign, after all -- you might
not have understood me.  But now you have, and the offer is still there.

If I write something that is better than the existing programs, is it
possible to get it distributed on the language disks?
Is it possible to write some kind of "dealer demo" that could be sent
out to dealers from Atari Corp. with a lot of stunning graphics and
sound, as they say?
I can do a lot of this myself, and I know more people who would be pleased
to help.  If it's possible, well my mail adress is below.

> | I do not want Atari Corp. to die [...]
>
> Nor do I.  I hope you are able to get the information you want to program
> your STE soon.  But remember, Atari gives registered developers special
> treatment, and they deserve it, because they write the software that
> sells Atari computers.

I think you're absolutely right in giving the developers HIGHER support
than end users, but I do think you could give us end users a little
more support than you do.
We're not asking for much (are we?).

And, this is of course my opinion, and if it "awakens the beast within you",
it's not my fault. You shouldn't have read this...
---

matthews@umd5.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (12/09/89)

In article <474003ce.14a1f@force.UUCP> covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>Ken, that just isn't so!! *ALL* STers are hackers and coders!
>The ST is soo much easier to program than an IBM PC or a Mac that naturally
>*ALL* Real Programmers Program on STs!!
>

>--
> Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)

I know of several ST owners who have no desire to even THINK about programming
their STs.  The fact that the ST is easy to program does not mean people will
always program it.

And, PLEASE, do not assume your limited experience (this is not a flame; I have
limited experience in this matter also, as does just about everybody) on people
who own STs represents the whole.  Sure, the ST might have a larger percentage
of programmers, but percentages don't count -- numbers do.

Mike

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) (12/10/89)

Ken B. says:
>A side effect of having strong support for professional programmers is
>that end users get supported as well.  More books get written by the
>professionals, making more information available to the hobbyist than
>the computer maker can hope to provide.  A broader base of technically
>competent people exist to answer the questions of hobbyist programmers.
>All these programmers will be happy because they can get their
>questions answered and they can solve their problems without having to
>stumble around in the dark too much.
>--
Sorry Ken, but I can't accept this.  Mostly, I've avoided getting
involved with the flame wars against Atari, since a lot of the comments
have been overly negative if not inaccurate.  Also, I really appreciate
your taking the time to participate in the net, and the other Atari
employees as well.  But this last comment of yours makes no sense when
you consider that developers must sign a non-disclosure agreement that
prevents developers from legally releasing a good deal of important
information contained in the developers' kit.  It seems as if Atari is
intentionally trying to restrict the flow of information, although I
could hardly guess why.  Before I can believe that Atari intends for
developers to take its role in educating the hobbyist, it will  have to
change this unexplicable policy.
>   |||   Ken Badertscher  (ames!atari!kbad)
>   |||   Atari R&D System Software Engine
>  / | \  #include <disclaimer>

Ken Clubok
Clubok@husc4.bitnet
Clubok@husc4.harvard.edu

daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) (12/11/89)

In article <1864@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:
> [...]  My opinion is based on my experience working
>in a computer store, working with user groups, supporting development
>tools, and talking with Atari's user group and developer support people.
>Users, by and large, want to use their computers.

OK.  I have to tell you that my opinion differ from yours (You didn't
know that, did you? :-) a great deal.  I'm working in a TOY STORE right
now, selling computers (Amigas! They won't sell the ST: They can't
get any help from Atari, then - why bother? The amigas sells better.)
If Atari continues doing like this, that's the way it will be. And not
only here in Sweden...
The impression I have of people buying computers is that they want
to learn programming, if they don't know how to do already.
People who just want's to USE software (games in my case) simly buy
a video game (ie sega or nintendo).
But, the situation MIGHT be different in the US; I don't know.

>Please note: the opinions expressed in this article are mine and mine
>alone.  Atari has its own.

Fine. Where can we learn ATARI's so called opinion, then?  By ordinary
mail to whom, say?

markr@seqp4.ORG (Mark Roddy) (12/12/89)

And furthermore, Atari's new developers program appears to cut off
the PD/shareware community from access to internal documentation.
If the "non-professional" developers had to rely on the wealth of
information available from book publishers on programming the ST
we would all be out buying Macs, Amigas or (gasp) IBM clones.

Why don't you guys just cut your own throats and get it over with :-?

--
				-Mark Roddy
				seqp4!markr@m2c.org

bane@mimsy.umd.edu (John R. Bane) (12/16/89)

In article <1854@atari.UUCP> kbad@atari.UUCP (Ken Badertscher) writes:

>daniel@pkmab.se (Daniel Deimert) writes:
>| Why should I buy a computer I can't use?  Like buying a car and when
>| you ask for an explanation of the buttons getting the answer: "Sorry,
>| you have to be a registred driver to get to know this.  You shouldn't
>| know about more than the gear and the wheel."
>
>Why do so many people use this analogy?  A computer is not a car.
>A computer is a computer.  But, since you insist, getting technical
>information (on a level equivalent to "How do I program DMA sound?")
>from an auto manufacturer isn't all that easy either.  Try it some time.

I can walk into any decent auto shop and purchase a repair manual for most
cars available in America.  I can walk into any computer book store and
purchase cubic yards of books on how to program an IBM PC or a Macintosh.
In both these cases at least one version of this information is published
by the manufacturer, and can be purchased for less than $30.

The only Atari-approved source of this information is the developer's kit,
which is over $100 last I heard.  The alternatives are reverse-engineering
exercises like Abacus books and the documentation supplied with various
compilers.

I don't require this information to be free, but I would like it to be
available from Atari for a price that meets my need for it (generalized
hacking around, little possibility of commercial success).
--
ARPAnet: bane@mimsy.umd.edu
UUCP:...umcp-cs!bane