[comp.sys.atari.st] Chaos Strikes Back... Dungeon Master II

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/13/89)

In case anyone hasn't heard, "Chaos Strikes Back", the sequel to Dungeon Mast
is out...!

FTL has shipped the game to distributors, and it should be showing up at
local dealers this week, if it hasn't already...

The game is a standalone game, which doesn't really require your owning
the original Dungeon Master, even though the packaging indicates that DM is
required.. (although.. if you haven't played through Dungeon Master, you're
not likely to last long in this game..!)

There's a Character Editor which allows you to "customize" the little picture
of each Champion, and in case you don't have a Saved Game disk from Dungeon
Master with your favorite party on it, there's a selection of new Champions
to choose from...

Be prepared though...  this is one tough game..!  The very FIRST room you
appear in is *worse*  than  ANYTHING  in the original Dungeon Master...!

BobR

seattle@hydra.unm.edu (David G. Adams) (12/14/89)

In article <24963@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>In case anyone hasn't heard, "Chaos Strikes Back", the sequel to Dungeon Mast
>is out...!
	Picked it up at 3pm this afternoon.

>The game is a standalone game, which doesn't really require your owning
>the original Dungeon Master, even though the packaging indicates that DM is
>required.. (although.. if you haven't played through Dungeon Master, you're
>not likely to last long in this game..!)
I think what they meant was that Knowledge of DM is required - specifically
how to use spells.  There is no word on how to actually play Chaos Strikes
Back, beyond 'works very much like the original Dungeon Master...' and other
mostly cryptic (to someone who's never played the original DM) similarities.

>Be prepared though...  this is one tough game..!  The very FIRST room you
>appear in is *worse*  than  ANYTHING  in the original Dungeon Master...!

I wouldn't call that room as tough as level 12.  Those fire creatures are
mean.  Is it my imagination, or do these 'improved' worms have nastier
poison?

Bob, have you found the secret entrance yet?  I'm being very cautious about
this game.  I've heard that each invocation of NEW ADVENTURE creates another
random dungeon, so mapping does no good party to other party.  Haven't tried
it yet though.

Some of those new characters look cool - the Incan party, the Bird characters,
the Insects.  I like what they did to Wuuf...

Dave

|  seattle@hydra.unm.edu  /----------------------------------------------------\
| Dadams10@GEnie /--------|     Kirk - Mr. Spock, Eliminate his heartbeat.     |
| David G. Adams |  LotE  | "Modern love is automatic"  - A Flock of Seagulls  |
\----------------/Live it!\ Don't bug the University  'bout nuthin' I've said. /

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/14/89)

In article <24963@cup.portal.com> Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com writes:
>In case anyone hasn't heard, "Chaos Strikes Back", the sequel to Dungeon Mast
>is out...!

Oh, brother -- I suppose that means I'd better hurry up & finish DM!  ;-)

Okay, I admit it; I'm stuck!  It's been a while since I've played, but I'd
like to dust off my party & finish up.  I've gotten the fire-staff, defeated
the guardian of the power gem (or whatever it's called -- like I said, it's
been awhile), "charged" the staff, and, and, and -- I can't figure out how to
get rid of / tame / cage the Dark Lord.  I suppose the answer's right under
my nose, but I don't feel like scratching around for it anymore.  Can someone
give me a spoiler?  Pretty please?
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

sandy47@ucsco.UCSC.EDU (Larry McElhiney) (12/15/89)

The new golden worms seem to be about the same as those on level 4 of DM I,
though their poison seems to wear off with time.  I haven't been able to find
any flasks for poison antidotes as yet.

I dropped through a trap and into a corridor with an alter at the end, as I
turn either cw or ccw I see a total of four altars.  One has a sword and is
marked "ku", one has a yew staff (light) and is marked "dain", one is marked
"ros" and has a set of poison darts, and the last one has a horn of fear and
is marked "neta".  I assume that these are the entrances to the 4 maze sec-
tions.  Going down any path to the altar closes the wall behind you.

I went down the "ku" path and found myself dealing with some floating
lobsters which have about the hitting power of spiders, yet there are more
of them!  You are only a corridor length away from an altar to bring back
your skeletons.

Warning on the wall says "No Fireballs"  and means it!  They are turned
back on you immediately.  I ran into some knights that make DM I knights
seem like they were already dead.  And all my team is master in all 4
categories.

You don't need to have DM I to play this, but you definitely need the
knowledge and the saved team (with lots of attributes).

Where is the water?

					Larry

pgs@cs.brown.edu (Peter Sarrett) (12/16/89)

In article <10059@saturn.ucsc.edu> sandy47@ucsco.UCSC.EDU (Larry McElhiney) writes:
>I haven't been able to find any flasks for poison antidotes as yet.
I've only found ONE.  If you found the "Run and jump" exit from the first
room, "jump" left from the pit instead of going straight.  You'll get to a
pressure plate which controls a pair of trapdoor pits.  Between those pits is
the only flask I've found.

>I dropped through a trap and into a corridor with an alter at the end, as I
>turn either cw or ccw I see a total of four altars.  One has a sword and is
>marked "ku", one has a yew staff (light) and is marked "dain", one is marked
>"ros" and has a set of poison darts, and the last one has a horn of fear and
>is marked "neta".  I assume that these are the entrances to the 4 maze sec-
>tions.  Going down any path to the altar closes the wall behind you.

This is the "Junction of the Ways".  I'm somewhat confused, because I thought
I'd gone through the ku path once and found myself confronted by blue
insectmen.  However, every time I've taken that path since, I've found the
same situation you describe below.

>I went down the "ku" path and found myself dealing with some floating
>lobsters which have about the hitting power of spiders, yet there are more
>of them!  You are only a corridor length away from an altar to bring back
>your skeletons.

One low-power fireball always destroys these guys, but they're fast, do heavy
damage, and have nasty poison.

>Warning on the wall says "No Fireballs"  and means it!  They are turned
>back on you immediately.  I ran into some knights that make DM I knights
>seem like they were already dead.

Tell me about it!  All the armor they're wearing is cursed, too.  Exactly what
difference is there between a cursed and an uncursed item in DM/CSB?  I
remember finding cursed items in DM, but don't recall what negative effect the
curse had.

>And all my team is master in all 4 categories.

I think I formatted over my team of DM Champions.  :-(  I started CSB with
new champions from the Prison, which are unfortunately not as advanced as the
characters I had in DM.

>Where is the water?

In the "Supplies for the quick" room (referred to as Quickstop by the Oracle),
there is a waterskin in one of the alcoves.  I managed to pick up every item
in this area, which included: sword, Staff of Claws, a teowand, Claw Bow,
another staff I can't recall the name off, an axe, a mace, much food, a
waterskin, and a ful bomb.  This may not be an exhaustive list.

>					Larry

  Peter Sarrett      |  PO Box 439            | "So much time and so little to
  pgs@cs.brown.edu   |  Brown University      |  do.  Stop.  Strike that.
  uunet!brunix!pgs   |  Providence, RI  02912 |  Reverse it."
  pgs@browncs.bitnet |  (401)863-6977         |               - W. Wonka

clubok@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (Ken "The Snake" Clubok) (12/17/89)

It sure is... And I have it!  Of course, I have had it on back
order for several months...
So I can hear you all asking "What's it like?"  Well...I don't know.
You see, I ordered it last summer before returning to college, and so
it was shipped to my home address.  (Arrived yesterday, in fact.)  I'll
get my first chance to try it out when I go home for break in a few days,
and when I return, I'll let you all know how I like it.  (Unless of course,
I find my mailbox overflowing with messages saying, "Don't bother, Ken.
We're not interested.") ;^}
Ken Clubok
clubok@husc4.bitnet
clubok@husc4.harvard.edu

dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu (Jon Brode) (12/17/89)

In article <10059@saturn.ucsc.edu> sandy47@ucsco.UCSC.EDU (Larry McElhiney) writes:
>though their poison seems to wear off with time.  I haven't been able to find
>any flasks for poison antidotes as yet.

The old worms' poison wore if with time also. I've found severl but only
one I could direct you to easily. On the first level, in between two pits
there is a flask. (passage lengths may be wrong)

		pressure pad #1

		     |	#### -> "supplies for the quick"
  to the worms <- ####### <- pit #1
			# <- flask
			# <- pit #2
			# <- pressure pad #2
			#
			### -> towards the "Run + Jump" pit

There's two ways to get to the flask. First, step on pad #1 then quickly
go forward 3 times and right once. That will put you in between the pits
and you can grab the flask. You can climb down the pits with the rope you
got in the worm room. (if you didn't get the rope, then you didn't get the
compass either. If you spent your Gor coins elsewhere then restart the game.
You *need* the compass) The second way is to step on pad #2 which closes
pit #1 and pit #2. It may be possible to run over both (momentarily) closed
pits and grab the flask on the run, but I haven't tried it yet. Otherwise,
you're pretty much stuck between the two pits.

At any rate, getting the flask should be the *last* thing you do before
you leave the level. Should you fall down the pits or have to climb down,
you are put in an inconvenient position on next level.

>Going down any path to the altar closes the wall behind you.

Lifting the item off the alter and then replacing it opens the
closed wall.

>I went down the "ku" path and found myself dealing with some floating

Be careful about those paths, on some of them you get teleported away
after travelling a few squares.

>You are only a corridor length away from an altar to bring back your skeletons.

Its still better not to die, you lose some health permenantly when you
are resurrected.

>Warning on the wall says "No Fireballs"  and means it!  They are turned
>back on you immediately.

Depends where you are on that level. They have wierd behavior at any rate.
You can safely fireball something that's standing next to you however.
(btw, its not just fireballs, its all projectile weapons and spells)

>I ran into some knights that make DM I knights
>seem like they were already dead.

Yeah, CSB knights are pretty wimpy compared to DM knights, but those
"Jawa"-wizards have gotten much tougher. I've already encountered 2
dragons, but they seem to be a shade weaker than Charbrol.

>You don't need to have DM I to play this, but you definitely need the
>knowledge and the saved team (with lots of attributes).

>Where is the water?

Its around, but its scarce. Make sure you get completely filled up on
the level below the first one. (and make doubly sure you get the water-
skin from the "supplies for the quick room")

Jon Brode  --  dyer@math.lsa.umich.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/17/89)

Dave Adams asks:
>Bob, have you found the secret entrance yet?  I'm being very cautious about
>this game.  I've heard that each invocation of NEW ADVENTURE creates another
>random dungeon, so mapping does no good party to other party.  Haven't tried
>it yet though.

I know that FTL wanted to make this game more difficult to map than the origa
Dungeon Master, but I haven't had a chance to compare the mapping of
independantly started games yet...

So far, I've been wandering around enjoying all the new monsters and puzzles.
time enough for serious mapping later...!

                                                      :)

BobR

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/17/89)

Steve Rehrauer asks:
>Okay, I admit it; I'm stuck!  It's been a while since I've played, but I'd
>like to dust off my party & finish up. ...

>I can't figure out how to get rid of / tame / cage the Dark Lord.

Sounds like you could use a good hintbook..!     :)

What you need to do is to put a Fluxcage on all four sides of the Dark Lord
and then use the "Fuse" option of the Firestaff on him...

Notice that he almost always moves forward in the direction he's facing..
then prepare four fluxcages by standing a square back from him, and spinning
around in place, putting a fluxcage in each direction...

Then step directly back from him, and wait for him to step forward into
the open space in the middle of the four fluxcages...

When he does, Fuse him...!

It may take a few tries, and of course, remember that he's going to be
throwing everything he's got at you... but you should be able to get him
in the end...

BobR