[comp.sys.atari.st] Drachen and Mah-Jong

BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) (12/05/89)

>I agree, Drachen is great!  One question, though:  I thought Shanghai was
>an implementation of Mah-Jong?  Is it really just a variant of `Drachen' in
>colour?
>- David
>(forster@cs.umass.edu / forster@umass.bitnet / david%cousteau@cs.umass.edu)

Well, Shanghai and Drachen both use the same game space and rules, so they
are identical simulations of something, but I don't think it is really
Maj-Jong.  I believe 'real' Maj-Jong has more tiles, but I am not sure.
Being a big Shanghai/Drachen player, I would certainly like to know for sure,
so are there any Maj-Jong players out there?  Fill us in!!

Oh, by the way, Shanghai works in mono too, but is even harder to play than
in color (which is saying something).

      Bob Marley               "To err is human, to compute devine,
                                  trust your computer, but not it's
      FSU Comp Sci                  programmer."  - Moris Kingston -

logic@wet.UUCP (Henry Kwan) (12/07/89)

In article <891205001533507.GXJT@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU> BAILEYS@FSU.BITNET (NOLES #1) writes:

>Well, Shanghai and Drachen both use the same game space and rules, so they
>are identical simulations of something, but I don't think it is really
>Maj-Jong.  I believe 'real' Maj-Jong has more tiles, but I am not sure.
>Being a big Shanghai/Drachen player, I would certainly like to know for sure,
>so are there any Maj-Jong players out there?  Fill us in!!

Shanghai is to Mai Jong is what Old Maid is to Poker.

Or in other words, it's totally different except for the fact that they both
use the same images on the tiles.

--
Henry Kwan                |  AppleLink: D0690
FWB, Inc.                 |  CompuServe: 71320,1034

dal@syntel.mn.org (Dale Schumacher) (12/11/89)

> Well, Shanghai and Drachen both use the same game space and rules, so they
> are identical simulations of something, but I don't think it is really
> Maj-Jong.  I believe 'real' Maj-Jong has more tiles, but I am not sure.
> Being a big Shanghai/Drachen player, I would certainly like to know for sure,
> so are there any Maj-Jong players out there?  Fill us in!!

I haven't played either of the above games, but I've been a real Mah-Jong
player for quite a few years.  The Mah-Jong tile set consists of:

								TOTAL
	Bamboo		4 each	    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9		36
	Characters	4 each	    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9		36
	Coins		4 each	    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9		36
	Dragons		4 each	    Red  White  Green		12
	Winds		4 each	    North South East West	16
	Seasons		2 each	    Winter Spring Summer Fall	8
								---
						TOTAL TILES	144

\\   /  Dale Schumacher                         399 Beacon Ave.
 \\ /   (alias: Chung, the Red Dragon)          St. Paul, MN  55104-3527
  ><    ..!nic.mr.net!bungia.mn.org!syntel!dal  United States of America
 / \\   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
/   \\   by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw

ripley@tubopal.UUCP (Hans-Ch. Eckert) (12/19/89)

In article <111089A0009@syntel.mn.org> dal@syntel.mn.org (Dale Schumacher) writes:
]> Well, Shanghai and Drachen both use the same game space and rules, so they
]> are identical simulations of something, but I don't think it is really
]> Maj-Jong.  I believe 'real' Maj-Jong has more tiles, but I am not sure.
Nope. Whereas Shanghai/Drachen are single-player patiences, 'real' Mah-Jongg
is a game for 2-4 players which contains elements of Romee & Canasta.

]	Seasons		2 each	    Winter Spring Summer Fall	8
Not quite. one set of seasons and one set of plants...
(You can't mach plants and seasons together...)

--
Greetings from RIPLEY  | UUCP:   ripley@tubopal.UUCP
Hans-Christian Eckert  |         ...!unido!tub!opal!ripley (Europe)