[comp.sys.atari.st] Source code control

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (12/14/89)

A number of people have mentioned GNU C, and C++.  Along those lines,
is there some sort of source code control system (a la SCCS on Suns) which
is available for the ST, so that I can do source code control?  I write
a great deal of code, and it would be nice to have some sort of serious
source code control system, as opposed to just backing up the old copy
of the source to an alternate directory in my makefile.

--alex @ atherton
("My mind is my own."--#6)

bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) (12/15/89)

>A number of people have mentioned GNU C, and C++.  Along those lines,
>is there some sort of source code control system (a la SCCS on Suns) which
>is available for the ST, so that I can do source code control?  I write
>a great deal of code, and it would be nice to have some sort of serious
>source code control system, as opposed to just backing up the old copy
>of the source to an alternate directory in my makefile.
>
>--alex @ atherton
>("My mind is my own."--#6)
----------

I've been wondering this myself.  Given a choice, I'd choose RCS though.
Does anyone know if the source code for RCS is available from somewhere,
(MIT?)?

-Bob

roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) (12/16/89)

In article <750039@hpsad.HP.COM>, bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) writes:

> Does anyone know if the source code for RCS is available from somewhere,
> (MIT?)?

There has been a posting of RCS in the amiga source group some weeks ago. I
have not looked at the code, but maybe it could be ported to the st as well.

> -Bob

	- Edgar

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/17/89)

In article <1839@sbsvax.UUCP> roeder@sbsvax.UUCP (Edgar Roeder) writes:

>There has been a posting of RCS in the amiga source group some weeks ago. I
>have not looked at the code, but maybe it could be ported to the st as well.
>
>	- Edgar

I looked at about a third of the stuff (unfortunately, there don't seem to
be mail response or anonymous uucp archives for comp.sources.amiga: there's
ftp at xanth, and there are [amiga format, of course] disks available from
Fred Fish).  It looked like at the very least a lot of filename conversion
would be needed.  The spawn mechanism on Amiga may also be more UNIX-like
than on the ST.
                                   Steve J.

In article <750039@hpsad.HP.COM> bobw@hpsad.HP.COM (Bob Waltenspiel) writes:
>I've been wondering this myself.  Given a choice, I'd choose RCS though.
>Does anyone know if the source code for RCS is available from somewhere,
>(MIT?)?
>
>-Bob

I'm pretty sure the source is freely redistrbutable. I like RCS as well.
haven't had tiem to port it to TOS yet though. (But now that GNUdiff is
available, it should be fairly easy.)
--
 -=- PrayerMail: Send 100Mbits to holyghost@father.son[127.0.0.1]
 and You Too can have a Personal Electronic Relationship with God!

Grunwald@Katmandu.Berkeley.EDU (Grunwald Betr. Tichy) (12/18/89)

I don't know, if any source code control system is working on the ST.
But I have RCS 4.0 (Revision Control System) running under OS9 ported by myself.
I don't think it is to hard to port to TOS. (You can of course switch over
to OS9 on the ST, but most people like waht they are used too. (This easyly
expalins the sales of MSDOS - machines))
The Source of RCS is available from the Free Software Foundation, which distributes the GNU - Software.

Knut Grunwald, Raiffeisenstr. 8, 7551 Elchesheim-Illingen, BRD

michaelv@watzman.UUCP (Michael Vishchers) (12/19/89)

From article <15308@laurel.athertn.Atherton.COM>, by alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens):
[alex asking for a source code control system for the ST]

A port of Walter (?) Tichy's RCS for the Amiga was recently posted to
comp.{sources|binaries}.amiga. Unfortunately, all the sources were in
RCS files, and I don't have an Amiga to run the binaries.
(Besides, two of the source parts were missing, anyway... 8-{ )

If anyone is doing such a port for the ST, which IMHO should not be too
difficult, lots of us would appreciate a release to the c.{b|s}.a.st
newsgroups, I think.

Michael

Michael Vishchers                                     (michaelv@watzman.UUCP)
"Wer fuer alles offen ist, kann nicht ganz dicht sein." (unbekannt)