[comp.sys.atari.st] Trash, Disks, etc.

dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (10003012) (12/01/89)

Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.

         Roman Baker

steve@thelake.UUCP (Steve Yelvington) (12/02/89)

In article <9911@saturn.ucsc.edu>,
     dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (10003012) writes ...

>Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
>the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
>pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>
>         Roman Baker

NeoDesk (from your local dealer, or $31.95 from E. Arthur Brown Co.,
612-762-8847) does this and more. Each file .ext can be associated with
its own icon. Program icons can be dragged out onto the Desktop, so you
can click and go without having to navigate through folders. It also
provides "hot keys," a printer queue, faster windows and even a digital
clock, all in 21K of RAM. It's what the Desktop should have been all along.
   -- Steve Yelvington, up at the lake in Minnesota
  ... pwcs.StPaul.GOV!stag!thelake!steve             (UUCP)

kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Kevin Clendenien) (12/02/89)

In article <9911@saturn.ucsc.edu> dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU () writes:
>Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
>the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
>pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>
>         Roman Baker
Buy NeoDesk for Gribnif Software.  Not only can you change the
trashcan, and file cabinets, but you can change the icons for individual
files, or groups of files.  It's absolutely amazing how much an .ARC
file sticks our from a directory when it looks like Noah's arc...
NeoDesk does a lot of other neat and fancy things, and is well worth the
money you have to pay for it.  It will use 21K of memory that won't
be available to other programs, but again, it's well worth the memory.

kclenden@silver.bacs.indiana.edu                          Kevin Clendenien
BLoomington Atari ST users group                          BLAST, President
BLAST BBS - (812) 332-0573                                FNET node #141

"Of course any opinions or views stated above do not necessarily represent
the official  position of any person,  or organization other that of Kevin
Clendenien."

EESD11O@CALSTATE.BITNET (Ed Krimen) (12/02/89)

Roman Baker writes:

> Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
> the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
> pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.

I recommend NeoDesk.  You can draw your own desktop and program icons.
But those are minor enhancements.  It's other features for file
manipulation are simply superior to the normal desktop.  I don't use the
normal desktop anymore.  NeoDesk is much more fun.  It's one of my most
used and favorite programs for the ST (competing with UIS II).

If you have a hard drive or more than one meg in your machine, you should
consider getting NeoDesk very much.  If you have one meg and no
hard drive, then you should take a look at NeoDesk and see whether its
features outweigh its disadvantages.  It takes up 150K when it's installed
and running.  You can either keep it in memory when you load a program from
it (it's a shell), or have it erase itself from memory, in which it only
keeps 20K of itself in memory.  When you exit the program you loaded, it
loads itself back into memory.

BTW, does TOS 1.4 copy the same way that NeoDesk does, loading all the
files to be copied into memory and then dumping them to the destination?
Or does it copy them one by one?

mark@rpp386.cactus.org (Mark Lehmann) (12/03/89)

>Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
>the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
>pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>         Roman Baker

There is an excellent program for TOS with GEM called NEODESK 2.05.  It
totally repleaces the GEM user inerface on the ST.  With NEODESK, it is
possible to make your ST interface look like the MacIntosh interface.
NEODESK 2.05 is available from Gribniff Software.

Mark Lehmann

--
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
| Mark Lehmann                       |                                   |

seattle@hydra.unm.edu (David G. Adams) (12/03/89)

In article <9911@saturn.ucsc.edu> dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU () writes:
>Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
>the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
>pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>
>         Roman Baker

Roman,

Besides NEOdesk (which i don't have, nor have need for), there's Mark
Williams Resource Editor, which cost me about $30.00 when I bought
my upgrade to version 3.0.  I haven't had too much time to use it, but
one of the major things it helps with, is changing Icons.

Dave

|  seattle@hydra.unm.edu  /----------------------------------------------------\
| Dadams10@GEnie /--------|     Kirk - Mr. Spock, Eliminate his heartbeat.     |
| David G. Adams |  LotE  | "Modern love is automatic"  - A Flock of Seagulls  |
\----------------/Live it!\ Don't bug the University  'bout nuthin' I've said. /

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (12/05/89)

From article <9911@saturn.ucsc.edu>, by dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (10003012):
> Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
> the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
> pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>
>          Roman Baker

1) Buy Neodesk, you get all sorts of icons, lose ~$40 and at least 21K ram.
   However, is much the best idea.

2) Just want to change the icons mentioned?  Buy an old START magazine disk
   off of Antic for ~$11 (you'll have to figure out which issue, my copies
   are at home).  Antic will also photocopy the article for you, if you
   ask (you might have to pay for that also).  The program is Alex Leavon's
   Icon Editor.  It comes with replacement icons (ugh!), which can be
   loaded on boot up.  Some nicer ones were available on Genie.  I could
   send the better ones to you (little 3.5 disks, etc.) but it is an editor
   - go to it.

	Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu  - that's U. of Vt.)

uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman) (12/06/89)

In article <1353@uvm-gen.UUCP> pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) writes:
>From article <9911@saturn.ucsc.edu>, by dstr012@ucscg.UCSC.EDU (10003012):
>> Does anyone out there have or know where I can get a program to change
>> the Trash and file cabinet icons on the desktop?  The old desktop is getting
>> pretty boring and I am due for a change.  Thanks.
>>
>>          Roman Baker
>
>1) Buy Neodesk, you get all sorts of icons, lose ~$40 and at least 21K ram.
>   However, is much the best idea.
[stuff deleted]

Double Click Software (us) is about to release a new product called DC DESKTOP.
This AUTO folder program will *not* replace, but _enhance_ the GEM desktop so
much, you won't believe your eyes!

You will get unique icons for eeach file, icons on the desktop (for quick
execution), a 'cabinet' of programs (so you can store all your programs in one
place), a printer spooler that works like a disk drive (drag the file to the
printer icon on the desktop - or save to it from a file), replaces the desktop's
_boring_ & _useless_ 'SHOW' command with a more powerful one, has a trashcan
that acts like a trashcan (so you can 'undelete' files), PC 'XCOPY' type copy
from the desktop, change the desktop to a picture or pattern, keystroke
equivalents for desktop commands, and probably a few morefeatures I can't
remember off hand!

All of this resides *in* memory, and is currently less than 30K!!!  That's
right, the program is less than 30K, and it does all this.  You can use even
less memory if you don't need all the features.  Best of all, it stays in
memory at all times (no more reloading or huge memory requirements), and it
_enhances_ the GEM desktop, so everything still remains 100% compatible and
the interface is just as you've always used, nothing new to remember.

Before you go calling us up wanting to order, let me just say that it goes
into beta-testing this week.  Release is estimated for Feb. 1990, and the
retail price will be $39.95.

We will release specific info when it is released.  (Oh yes, everything is
written in 100% assembly language.)

- mike

Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

pegram@uvm-gen.UUCP (pegram r) (12/09/89)

From article <929@uhnix2.uh.edu>, by uace0@uhnix2.uh.edu (Michael B. Vederman):
(text deleted here, maybe I can post this without too much extra verbiage!)

>Double Click Software (us) is about to release a new product called DC DESKTOP
(deleted text here....)
> This AUTO folder program will *not* replace, but _enhance_ the GEM desktop so
> much, you won't believe your eyes!
(more deleted text here....)
> - mike
>Double Click Me | Double Click Software | P.O. Box 741206 | Houston, Tx, 77274
>Support BBS: (713)944-0108 | SHADOW | DC FORMATTER | DC UTILITIES | and others

Hey Mike V., Will we be able to set up a "proper environment string"
with DC DESKTOP??

Bob Pegram (pegram@griffin.uvm-gen.uvm.edu <@ U. of Vt.>)

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (12/12/89)

Thanks for the plug (gee, I kinda _liked_ some of those early icons... :-)
There was also a commercial version of the Icon Editor, called PiE, which
used to be available through The Catalog (Antic magazine).  Dunno if it still
is, but I haven't seen it in there in a long time...

	--alex leavens

(The commercial version had a lot more stuff in it, including the ability to
generate source code for inclusion in Resource construction set files...)

beroll@ecs.umass.edu (12/14/89)

I own a copy of PIE (Professional Icon Editor) It's a great program and it does
what was mentioned, but it is awfully slow to boot up with it; especially if
your booting up with floppies.  You would have to put a desk accesory and data
file on every disk you wanted to boot up with the new icons.

I bought mine a few years ago; it is put out by Antic and I have not seen it
since.  If anyone is interested, I'll sell my disk and documentation.  I've
only used it once, it's too much of a pain on a floppy system.  I'll let it go
for $10.00 plus shipping.

                                         Dave

Bitnet:  BEROLL@UMAECS.bitnet         (University of Massachusetts @ Amherst)

alex@athertn.Atherton.COM (Alex Leavens) (12/19/89)

>I own a copy of PIE (Professional Icon Editor) It's a great program and it does
>what was mentioned, but it is awfully slow to boot up with it; especially if
>your booting up with floppies.  You would have to put a desk accesory and data
>file on every disk you wanted to boot up with the new icons.

<Blush>.  Thanks.  However, you probably have a very early version of the
loader--I re-wrote the loader later, to make it a lot faster.  First, if
you haven't changed your desktop configuration on the boot floppy, then the
load address.  In addition, if you have changed things, then searching is
a _lot_ quicker.  I used to use the old 'word-at-a-time' search algorithm;
I now use an algorithm from the Computing column in Scientific American.
The algorithm measures the offset from the base of the string search pattern,
and then sees where the search failed--you can then skip ahead _at least
that many bytes_ before checking again.  It's a pretty hip algorithm (I can
dig up the specific reference if anyone's interested), and it's a whole _lot_
faster than linear searchs, especially for fairly large search patterns on
large amounts of memory.

--
--alex (TOO) ['My mind is my own'--#6]