[comp.sys.atari.st] GnuEmacs 18.51 and Scrolling

sto9719@ultb.isc.rit.edu (S.T. Organek) (12/19/89)

>Has anyone else had a problem with the scrolling that Gnuemacs 18.51
>does on the Atari ST.  The problem I have found is that when the screen
>scrolls, the status bar also moves and gives the appearance of an a
>window shade.  Does anyone have an idea what this might be.  Some said
>something about the termcap I am using.

The problem did have to do with the termcap, however, there was also
another catch to it.   First to stop the"window shade scrolling" delete
the insert line (al) and (dl) entries from the termcap and save the
file.  However, this only resulted in GnuEmacs saying the termcap was
not powerful enough because it couldn't position the cursor.   What I
didn't know was that the ST saved files in most editors with a CR and LF
and that GnuEmacs wanted the termcap saved with only LF ( 0x0d ), the extra
CR ( 0x0a ) was confusing the termcap reader in the editor.

To solve this problem, I created a filter in 'C' that will remove the
LF's from the termcap file.  Its been working fine since.

			Thanks for the prompt replies,

			STeve Organek

			STO9719@RITVAX.BITNET
		        rochester!ultb!sto9719