[comp.sys.atari.st] THINK C's source debugger and Spectre

barbanson.pa@XEROX.COM (M. H Barbanson) (12/16/89)

Has anyone tried to do cross-development for the Mac on a Spectre?
I'm trying to use THINK C on an ST + GCR. The compiler works fine but the
source debugger freezes up.
The best thing about THINK C is the source debugger and the idea of having
to go back to print statements is really distasteful knowing that there's
an alternative. Not to mention that it slows down debugging tremendously.
Does anyone have an idea wether there's a chance that the debugger could
work with a bit of hacking on the Spectre code or is it a lost cause?
Doug W@gadgets seemed to indicate on GENIE that the Mac debuggers are using
vectors that the Spectre needs to work at all on the ST.
Does it mean that no hack known to mankind will get this to work?

-M

P.S: Please cc any answers to me. Thanks.

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/19/89)

 (Sorry about all the net bandwidth -- there have been many Spectre
questions.)

	T	The basenote asks about Think C's source debugger.

	While I am not certain, I am under the impression that this setup
requires Multifinder. The debugger runs as one task, and the main task as
another. Multifinder under 2.3k is fatally flawed due to zeroreads (a
the zeroread patch, please retest; I think you'll have better luck.

	While it's true we grab interrupt vectors, the situation isn't that
bad. We have to grab hblank, at IPL 4, and serial/keyboard/mouse at IPL 6.
The Mac doesn't really use those; it uses 1 for VIA and 2 for SCC. (2 on the
ST is hbank, which everyone shuts off). I see it as entirely possible to
implement many of the Apple's original vectors through their vector dispatch
scheme and bring up stuff like TMON; heck, the Amiga AMAX emulator runs
TMON ...

	Hence, don't give up hope.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

rs0@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Bob Slaughter) (12/20/89)

In article <15096@well.UUCP> dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:
> (Sorry about all the net bandwidth -- there have been many Spectre
>questions.)

Wasteage of bandwith like this is just what we need; sure beats
Atari-bashing and other fun events that have cloggin things up around
here lately.

>	Hence, don't give up hope.
Hey, we own Atari machines; "eternally hopeful" is our middle name.

>	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets
Anytime, Dave!

--
*     Bob Slaughter                           *  This space for rent       *
*     InterNet#1:  rs0@beach.cis.ufl.edu      *    Call 1-800-FOR-RENT     *