[comp.sys.atari.st] SYQUEST REMOVABLE DRIVES10643

2FHDBEAK@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/10/89)

In article <8912080824.AA01365@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MAXG@SUVM.BITNET ("Gerry Greenberg: 315-443-5378") writes:
> Does anybody out there have a Syquest removable drive hooked up to their
> machine? or know the address/phone
> of Syquest?  This might be the way to go for a hard drive
> system...Maybe putting off getting a hard drive for so long might
> actually pay off?!
> Thanks,
> Gerry
> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu   (internet)

Atari makes a Syquest drive, the MegaFile 44.  I've never used one, but
I know a few dealers supposedly have them .

--Jimbo

wyant@eplrx7.uucp (Patrick Wyant) (12/12/89)

From article <19554@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, by 2FHDBEAK@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu:
> In article <8912080824.AA01365@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, MAXG@SUVM.BITNET ("Gerry Greenberg: 315-443-5378") writes:
>> Does anybody out there have a Syquest removable drive hooked up to their
>> machine? or know the address/phone
>> of Syquest?  This might be the way to go for a hard drive
>> system...Maybe putting off getting a hard drive for so long might
>> actually pay off?!
>> Thanks,
>> Gerry
>> ggreenbe@rodan.acs.syr.edu   (internet)
>
> Atari makes a Syquest drive, the MegaFile 44.  I've never used one, but
> I know a few dealers supposedly have them .
>
> --Jimbo

   A small outfit near Baltimore called Toad Computers makes the
same 44 Mbyte removable cartridge for less than Atari charges.
They put an ICD disk controller and a Syquest drive in your choice
of boxes with power supply and SCSI interface.  We have been using
one with our ST for three months and it works well so far.

                                            Patrick Wyant
                                            *!uunet!eplrx7!wyant

--
The UUCP Mailer

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (12/18/89)

How can one get the bare drives<the Syquest mech> to build one with.
It SHOULD be cheaper to build one yourself.

Ed June

Fido 1:133OR403
          ^^------What's all these weird characters when in ANSI <VT-100?>?

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/19/89)

The basenote concerns Syquest 4 megabyte removable drives.

	I just got done reviewing two such aftermarket units and I used
the Atari Megafile 44 at Comdex demoing Spectre. I can only say I wish
someone had told me about them earlier; I would have bought more. As is,
after testing, we went and bought four more from the manufacturer, hanging
them on Mac II's, ST's, and whatnot.

	I am incredibly impressed with this unit. It's the single most
positive review I have ever written for a product; I could not find anything
wrong to say. (People are going to think I was paid off or something!)
The drive is incredibly fast; it walks all over a hot Omti 3527 / Mitsubishi
RLL 60 meg drive, which was my fastest. It is extremely portable; we switch
disks around the office all the time, never a problem. It has never ONCE
glitched us. Furthermore, it is tough beyond belief. When the review
units arrived from START magazine, they were crammed full inside with
those peanut-packing-pellets. This wasin the critical head area, the
superclean
area! We vacuumed it out, and the drive failed to work.

	Next, we reopened the drive, found more packing pellets jammed in the
seeker circuitry, and cleaned them out; the drive could not seek to track 0
because of them. The drive started working. That's beyond belief; every
other hard disk I know of would have been fried with all the fragments of junk
in there.

	We have never had a problem in moving platters from drive to drive.

	The Syquest drives are now our primary development drives,
eclipsing the Mitsubishi setup that frankly cost more. They are SCSI and
a snap to hook up with an ICD interface. Both Toad Computers and
CarterGraphics
in UTA sell them;
I really can't recommend them more. All I can say is, why didn't someone
tell me about them before?

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

p.s. A correctly Macformatted Syquest goes right into Spectre in Mac Mode.
Talk about a handy way to move 44 megs around.

krieg@jupiter.uucp (Andrew Krieg) (12/20/89)

Do you have any specs/pricing for these units.  I'm looking for a removable
disk and these sound good!
=	Andrew Krieg				The Marvel Historian	=
=		G.E. Medical Systems - CT - New Berlin, WI		=
= 	   	     USENET: krieg@jupiter.med.ge.com			=
=  "Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from store."		=
=  "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!" - The Grinch	=