[comp.sys.atari.st] question SPECTRE GCR

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/03/89)

The referenced question asks compatibility between Spectre GCR/1040 ST and
a Mac II.

	We have had no problems in our lab moving a considerable number of
disks back and forth between them. My only suggestion, on the 2.0/2.3 release
(they are the same, BTW) is to format on the Spectre. Spectre formats to 1:2
interleave, which makes for fast Spectre GCR writes, and Mac II formats to
1:1 interleave, which makes for slow Spectre GCR writes. (We expect to fix
this in the 2.5 release).

	Try replying to "hplabs!boulder!tcr!gadgets!dsmall" and see what
happens.

	-- thanks, Dave Small / Gadgets

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/05/89)

In article <14801@well.UUCP>, dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:

> 	Try replying to "hplabs!boulder!tcr!gadgets!dsmall" and see what
> happens.
>
> 	-- thanks, Dave Small / Gadgets

Dave, I am happy to see you on Usenet.

I would like to ask you about Appletalk support. I don't need it personally
but I was in Computer Works last Saturday when a young woman came in looking
for a STacy. It seems that she wants to buy a STacy Spectre-GCR to take to
work. she has all kinds of Macs at work and wants to have a laptop/portable
Mac for use at her home. Hence, she wanted to buy  a STacy. When Jeff (the
store manager) demoed your Spectre (1.9f I believe) she was sold. Unfortunately,
CW didn't have any STacys or Spectre-GCRs in stock ( :-) ), so she left
empty handed. I tried to sell her on a 1040ST with a Spectre but she really wanted
a STacy Spectre-GCR.

Anyway, the gist is that she wanted to be able to hook up the STacy to the
Appletalk network at her job. Jeff said that you couldn't do that.

So, it would be a big asset if you could figure out how to add Attletalk to
Spectre-GCR by the time the STacys are available. Heck, I might even buy one
if you could get Appletalk to work (we have Macs all over the place at work!).

Well, good luck with the Spectre.

P.S. When will Henry at CW get more GCRs in?? I asked him to hold one for me.

P.P.S. I just ordered my Panasonic Laser Partner. I will let you know how it
works with my Spectre 128 (I still have an old set of SW, pre-19f I believe).

--
 Richard E. Covert (covertr@gtephx)
  (602) - 581-4652

covertr@force.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) (12/05/89)

In article <14801@well.UUCP>, dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:

> 	Try replying to "hplabs!boulder!tcr!gadgets!dsmall" and see what
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> happens.
>
> 	-- thanks, Dave Small / Gadgets

Gee, I don't think Dave shoulda givven out his UUCP address :-)

Now he will be soo busy reading email that his business will fail :-)

Lots and lots o email!!

--

marclaan@neabbs.UUCP (MARC LAAN) (12/13/89)

To: David Small (GBS)
From: Marc H. Laan, newspaper Het Parool, Amsterdam, Holland.

Dave,
We tried to contact you by fax several times. Seems{to be no succes.
we just had a simple question: since we laid hand on one of the
(pre-)production models of Stacy, we'd like to test it as a portable
Mac, with GCR. Until now we didn't hear of GCR overhere in Europe.
Give us some clue please. (with ourpectre 1.9 Stacy performs allright,
but probably you tested that too).
 Friendly greetings, Marc H. Laan, Amsterdam-Diemen, Hollan

ya16@mrcu (Ian Powell) (12/20/89)

In article <260934@neabbs.UUCP>, marclaan@neabbs.UUCP (MARC LAAN) writes:
> To: David Small (GBS)
> From: Marc H. Laan, newspaper Het Parool, Amsterdam, Holland.
>
> Dave,
> We tried to contact you by fax several times. Seems{to be no succes.
> we just had a simple question: since we laid hand on one of the
> (pre-)production models of Stacy, we'd like to test it as a portable
> Mac, with GCR. Until now we didn't hear of GCR overhere in Europe.
> Give us some clue please. (with ourpectre 1.9 Stacy performs allright,
> but probably you tested that too).
>  Friendly greetings, Marc H. Laan, Amsterdam-Diemen, Hollan

HiSoft have received a batch of Spectre GCRs here in the UK.
I don't know if they are all spoken for in advanced orders, a
phone call may worth wile.

HiSoft can be contacted at
The Old School
Greenfield
Bedford
MK45 5DE
UK

Tel. +44 5 2571 8181

PS I have upgraded my 128 to a GCR and it works well.

Ian Powell, CAL            |INTERNET: ya16%gec-mrc.co.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
GEC-Marconi Research Centre|UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!mrca!ya16 or ya16%uucp.mrca
West Hanningfield Road     |Other: ya16@uk.co.gec-mrc
Great Baddow, Chelmsford   |Tel: +44 245 73331 x 3231
Essex, UK CM2 8HN          |Telcom Gold 74: SKK196