[comp.sys.atari.st] New Atari Developers Package

Mrhyner@sed.huachuca-emh1.army.MIL (12/09/89)

I was wondering if any 'new' developers out there could explain what
is included as part of the developer's kit?

Atari's introductory information is nebulous at best.

Email to mrhyner%sed@huachuca-emh1.army.mil

		OR

	asqb-sep-a@huachuca-emh2.army.mil

Thanks.

Mark Rhyner
Computer Systems Engineering

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (12/11/89)

In article <8912081500.aa01816@FHP2.HUACHUCA-EMH1.ARMY.MIL> Mrhyner@sed.huachuca-emh1.army.MIL writes:
>I was wondering if any 'new' developers out there could explain what
>is included as part of the developer's kit?

I suppose I should wait for the response, but: I'd also like to know if
registering as a developer is an all-or-nothing package?  Last I heard,
Mark Williams C was part of the $300 deal.  I already have a C compiler
that I'm happy with (Laser C); is there a lesser-priced option that omits
MWC?  I'd think there'd be more than a handful of people that like to know
the answer to that.
--
>>"Aaiiyeeee!  Death from above!"<< | Steve Rehrauer, rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
   "Flee, lest we be trod upon!"    | The Apollo System Division of H.P.

brazil@pawl.rpi.edu (Timothy E. Onders) (12/12/89)

In article <475d287b.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>I suppose I should wait for the response, but: I'd also like to know if
>registering as a developer is an all-or-nothing package?  Last I heard,

	Last I heard, it is possible to purchase a docs only developers
package for considerably less than the full package.  Last time I checked,
it was something like $99.

					-Tim Onders
					brazil@pawl.rpi.edu

saj@chinet.chi.il.us (Stephen Jacobs) (12/12/89)

In article <475d287b.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>I suppose I should wait for the response, but: I'd also like to know if
>registering as a developer is an all-or-nothing package?  Last I heard,
>Mark Williams C was part of the $300 deal.  I already have a C compiler
>that I'm happy with (Laser C); is there a lesser-priced option that omits
>MWC?

I did just what was suggested above.  I forget the price, but the main issue is
that some of the most useful Atari utilities are normally considered a bundle
with the C compiler.  Stuff like MADMAC, Atari db and aln.  I presume there
would be no problem re-selling MWC if you REALLY don't want it.  The hassle
of getting the important stuff without the compiler just isn't a good bargain.
(Note: everyone I've ever spoken with at Atari is very helpful, and wants to
solve problems.  This seems to be an inherently confusing situation.)
                                      Steve J.

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/13/89)

Steve Rehrauer asks:

>I suppose I should wait for the response, but: I'd also like to know if
>registering as a developer is an all-or-nothing package?

Right now, Atari is in the middle of completely restructuring their developer
support.  It looks as if there will be a two-tiered structure, with professio
developers receiving one level of support including tech support, hardware
discounts, access to dealer and customer databases and software, and a second
level for "shareware" developers who for a lower fee will receive a lower
level of support.

To get the most accurate information, and to receive an application for
developer status, call Charles Cherry at Atari Corp.

Note: this is a VERY positive development (no pun intended.. :)  in the Atari
world.  If Atari comes through this time on what they're trying to do, it
could mean a real change in Atari/developer relations...

BobR

gm5184@mars.njit.edu (Gaines) (12/14/89)

Steve,
	Although I don't know the specifics off-hand, Atari has three
levels of Developer Kits. Call them for the specifics 'cause I'm getting
onw WITHOUT MWC.

 							Mike
"What the hell's a gigawatt?"
gm5184@mars.njit.edu

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/15/89)

Sorry...  I neglected to give Atari's phone number in my posting about he
new developers' plans...   (doesn't *everyone* already know Atari's phone
number..?  :)

The main switchboard number is:  (408) 745-2000

You can call there and ask for Charles Cherry for more info about the new
developers' programs.

The new user group coordinator (and chief cook and bottle washer) is
Bob Brodie... he can tell you pretty much anything else you want to know
(don't tell him I said that..!)   His number is: (408) 745-2052

BobR

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (12/18/89)

What if you're like me?
I bought a used 'developers package'. I've tried to get it re-registered in my

with no luck. I can't get the guy I bought it from to get a notorised note to
the efeect he has NO copies of ANYTHING.
Bummer, I was hopin' to do this too. As it is, I have Laser C, MWC, both debug
rs
a BUNCH of docs, the original Alcyon C<some corrupt files>.

Ed <wonderin' what to do> June

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/19/89)

Ed June asks:
>What if you're like me?
>I bought a used 'developers package'. I've tried to get it re-registered in

>Ed <wonderin' what to do> June

I'd recommend calling Charles Cherry at Atari Corp and seeing what he can
do for you...

Call him at (408) 745-2000  and see what he says... it should be worth the
call...

   ...and, let us know what happens...

BobR

buggs@cup.portal.com (William Edward JuneJr) (12/21/89)

>I'd recommend calling Charles Cherry at Atari Corp and seeing what he can
>do for you...
>Call him at (408) 745-2000  and see what he says... it should be worth
>the call...

THANKS! I will! I've been patiently waitin' on the guy I bought it from to
send a notarized letter back, no luck. This will probably be a major road
block too, bummer, I wanted to be registered and to get upgraded.
I WILL definately call though, thanks!