[comp.sys.atari.st] Usenet-->GEnie

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (12/20/89)

While I think this is a good idea, I am somewhat annoyed that this
arrangement only helps GEnie (a profiteering company) and does naught
for the users of this net.  So, even though you personally may get no
benefit from the arrangement, GEnie does and I am therefore against the
practice.  I'm sure that the powers that be in Usenet will not be
pleased either.  Just my $.02....

Chris Mauritz

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

nrc@cbnews.ATT.COM (neal.r.caldwell..ii) (12/21/89)

From article <CMM.0.88.630161342.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz):
> While I think this is a good idea, I am somewhat annoyed that this
> arrangement only helps GEnie (a profiteering company) and does naught
> for the users of this net.  So, even though you personally may get no
> benefit from the arrangement, GEnie does and I am therefore against the
> practice.  I'm sure that the powers that be in Usenet will not be
> pleased either.  Just my $.02....
>
> Chris Mauritz
>
> ------------------------------+---------------------------
> Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
> (c)All rights reserved.       |
> Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
> ------------------------------+---------------------------

I agree whole heartedly!  This arrangement puts money into GEnie and
does the net absolutely no good.  Dave, you've done a lot of good things
for the Atari community but please put a stop to this before it goes any
further.

I wonder if Chris's copyright notice is a good way to stop this sort of
thing.  Better still, how about something more specific....

"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
                                          AT&T Network Systems
                                          nrc@cbnews
                                          att!cbnews!nrc
                                          (614) 860-2206

src@cs.odu.edu (Scott R. Chilcote) (12/21/89)

In article <12486@cbnews.ATT.COM> nrc@cbnews.ATT.COM (neal.r.caldwell..ii) writes:
>From article <CMM.0.88.630161342.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz):
>> While I think this is a good idea, I am somewhat annoyed that this
>> arrangement only helps GEnie (a profiteering company) and does naught
>> for the users of this net.
>> Chris Mauritz

>I agree whole heartedly!  This arrangement puts money into GEnie and
>does the net absolutely no good.
>for the Atari community but please put a stop to this before it goes any
>further.
>
>"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell

   There is a solution to this, but GEnie must be willing to reciprocate
fairly for their gain if they intend to plunder Usenet for their own advan-
tage.

   I am not against allowing more general access to comp.sys.atari.st if it
will help support the US Atari ST owning community.  But since GEnie is a
for-profit service --
|   To be fair, they should return the benefit by posting summaries of their |
|postings, and cullings from their PD uploads, to Usenet in return.          |

It is time for two new Newsgroups:  comp.genie.atari.st.talk and
                                    comp.genie.atari.st.bin .  These should
both be newsgroups moderated by GEnie staffers.

Sounds FAIR to me!
                                                   Scott Chilcote
                                                   src@cs.odu.edu

ST stands for "Sidestepped Tramiel"!

ltf@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (12/21/89)

In article <CMM.0.88.630161342.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>While I think this is a good idea, I am somewhat annoyed that this
>arrangement only helps GEnie (a profiteering company) and does naught
>for the users of this net.  So, even though you personally may get no
>benefit from the arrangement, GEnie does and I am therefore against the
>practice.  I'm sure that the powers that be in Usenet will not be
>pleased either.  Just my $.02....

Powers that be?  In Usenet???   :-)

At any rate, I fail to see how this should trouble anybody...I assume they're
paying whoever they're getting the feed from for their trouble, and since it's
a one-way connection (UseNet-->GEnie), it won't effect the bandwidth usage in
the slightest...They are providing a service for their subscribers, who can
use or not use the service at their own choice...If they don't use it, they
don't pay for it.  Who's being harmed in this transaction?  Not the users
of GEnie...those who don't use the service are not harmed, those who do
apparently are willing to pay the price...UseNet as a whole is not harmed,
since it's not adding to the bandwidth usage, and the system providing the
feed to GEnie is not harmed, indeed they are probably benifiting from the
additional income.

So...what's the problem?

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +------------------------------------------+
+-------------------------+ +  His flashing eyes, his floating hair!"

rcc9885@ultb.isc.rit.edu (R.C. Costello) (12/21/89)

In article <12486@cbnews.ATT.COM> nrc@cbnews.ATT.COM (neal.r.caldwell..ii) writes:

>I agree whole heartedly!  This arrangement puts money into GEnie and
>does the net absolutely no good.  Dave, you've done a lot of good things
>for the Atari community but please put a stop to this before it goes any
>further.

I think you are looking at this the wrong way!!  So what if GEnie is
a profit orientented business.  If you want to put up you own UUCP
site its going to cost you $$$.  You would most likely then pass this
charge on to anyone who uses your system.  They get USENET out of the
deal and you get money for up-keep.

Why is it that everyone has to get something from something.  Why can't
you except the fact that this link will give you the ability to Email
to MANY MANY more people.  In turn, they get to read comp.sys.atari.st,
where all the techie stuff is (ha! :) )

I don't see how effects anyone single person in anyway other than allowing them
a wider communication area.  Now I will be able to send mail to a friends
in Cape Cod and Connecticut FREE of CHARGE for me.  Of course they have to
pay, but oh well.  I don't see how you can look at this link any different
than the link you are using.

The only thing I would change is allow them to post to USENET, maybe mail
to some spooler that will post the message instead of mailing it..

I've been QUIETLY reading USENET for 2 1/2 years now, and have found it not
to be as HIGH tech (ST gurus) as its made out to be.  I have found it
to be a GREAT source of information however, but only becuase I have had
the ability to MAIL my questions to someone at DC Utilities (Thanks guys!) or
some on at Atari, and now, Dave Small.

I think you all just want something for nothing!

Dave, its a GREAT Idea, and I hope you get mail working SOON!

>"Don't drive too slowly."                 Richard Caldwell
>                                          AT&T Network Systems
>                                          nrc@cbnews
>                                          att!cbnews!nrc
>                                          (614) 860-2206

+-----------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
| Where Am I?   |X| "Of course I made a backup copy, actually I made two, the_|
+-----------------+--------+ first one was too light." - typical IBM user   |X|
| rcc9885@ultb.edu        _|  | | |   Atari ST: The BIGGEST and FASTEST and   |
| rcc9885@ritvax.BITNET  |X|  | | |   most POWERFUL computer in the whole    _|
+--------------------------+ /  |  \  entire ...  Well, um, I still like it.|X|
| I don't work for anyone, +-------------------------------------------+------+
| so, it doesn' matter    _|  NOTE: Now if I could only have this many_|
| what I think.          |X|  windows open under GEM!                |X|
+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

hedger@inmet.inmet.com (12/21/89)

I think the problem people are having is that Genie will make money
by selling access to the information in this newsgroup. However,
nobody who uses this newsgroup, some of whom can't afford or do not
wish to afford access to Genie, get no benifit from Genie, like  a
download of information from THEIR newsgroup.
They make a profit, the people here on the Net get nothing in return.

Personally, I see their point. I subscribe to Genie and there are some
good files out there. I think that if we upload this newsgroup to Genie,
some reciprocation is in order. Otherwise, would we like to have people
who run a Net node in their bedroom, grab these notefiles, then upload
all of the stuff from here into a pay-for BBS running on a another
machine in their bedroom?
I don't think that most people on the net would like it if they knew
someone was making money by selling access to what is supposed to be
a freely accessible resource. By uploading to Genie with no reciprocating
arrangement, we would be allowing the same thing to be done.

| Keith Hedger :  {...!}uunet!inmet!hedger   hedger@inmet.inmet.com |
|    'It is a sad, but beautiful world..........'                   |

karl@es56.UUCP (Karl Rowley) (12/22/89)

Why does everyone have such a problem with forwarding Usenet messages
to Genie?  There are already other services out there that provide
access to Usenet messages for a fee.  Not everyone has access to Usenet
through their place of work.

No one will be forced to pay Genie for access to Usenet messages.

If anyone posting to Usenet doesn't like the idea of people having to
pay, then they can choose not to post.

The beauty of Usenet is that it is difficult for anyone to force their
form of tyranny on anyone else.

That is my two cents worth.  Copy me directly on any replies -- I am
waiting by my mailbox with a bucket of cold water.

				Karl Rowley
				Evans and Sutherland Computer Division
				1808 N. Shoreline Blvd.
				Mountain View, California, USA