[comp.sys.atari.st] The Use of Rapenet

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (12/23/89)

In article <946@crash.cts.com> canada@crash.cts.com (Diane Barlow Close) writes:
>This message was posted by Dave Small to the atari newsgroup, and I have
>many objections and some questions I'd like to pose to the net (so as not
>to waste net $$ please direct all followups to news.misc or alt.flame):

(posting to additional groups only costs one extra inode, whose $$ value
is rather small)

>-> 	It's time to announce that there is now a working uplink
>-> from USENET to GEnie.
>
>I object to this ONE WAY transfer of information.

Sigh. We just did this with Brad's r.h.f group. There was a four
month flak about him gatewaying jokes onto GEnie. The net effect
to Usenet was zero, presumably GEnie users got something out of it.

No one person can say ``this will stop NOW!'' If you feel
strongly, put something in your .signature file like:

``Redistribution to GEnie prohibited''.

This prevents YOUR postings from being propagated to GEnie. If a lot
of people do this, it will send a message to GEnie. If a lot
of people don't do it, it will send a message to USENET.

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/24/89)

As you'll see in the "link is down" post, the link has been down since the
first day I got mail indicating the problems with it. At the time, I had not
heard of the hassles USENET has had with Brad, CIS, BIX, and whatnot. I had
no idea what I was getting myself into.

	I'm writing this in hope of helping to stop this disucssion before
it gets out of hand. No malice was intended at all, and there's a lot of
hearsay and innuendo going on. Please read the "link is down" post, and we
can end this in time for the new year.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets