[comp.sys.atari.st] spreadsheets

AMEIJ@vax.oxford.ac.UK (Jan Ameij) (12/21/89)

Dear World,

I want a spreadsheet for my Mega 4. It has to be fast, and it should ideally
support either an HPLJ+ or HPGL for graphics output. Can anyone make any
recommendations? Email me, and I'll summarize back.

Jan Ameij
ameij%uk.ac.oxford.vax@however.you-get.to.janet

PS It came with VIP Professional. It's lousy. I hate it. Please don't recommend
it. I mean, a piece of software with a list price of 130 quid that can't work
with a hard disk?

PPS Info for Laser printer debate. I've got a Qume CrystalPrint Series II. It's
very nice indeed - HPLJ+ plus for 100 quid a good HPGL cartridge. Seems pretty
cheap to run, nice and small, great for TeX (real computer users use TeX). I'd
recommend it. It was about 1100 quid, including HPGL card, but is probably less
by now!

SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/22/89)

> PS It came with VIP Professional. It's lousy. I hate it. Please don't recommend
> it. I mean, a piece of software with a list price of 130 quid that can't work
> with a hard disk?

YOU ARE WRONG.  In spite of its problems, VIP is useful; i use it almost
daily --- FROM MY HARD DRIVE.  It is easy to set up.

silvert@cs.dal.ca (Bill Silvert) (12/24/89)

In article <20245@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> SHAWL@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>> ... VIP Professional. It's lousy. I hate it. Please don't recommend
>> it. I mean, a piece of software with a list price of 130 quid that can't work
>> with a hard disk?

>YOU ARE WRONG.  In spite of its problems, VIP is useful; i use it almost
>daily --- FROM MY HARD DRIVE.  It is easy to set up.

I missed the first posting, but VIP works fine with a hard drive.
There are two versions, a Lotus look-a-like and a GEM version.
GEM is a bit slow unless you use a speedup program for fast screen
updates, but I use VIP all the time to handle Lotus files.  It's good.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2

ballier@blnosz.UUCP (Ralph Ballier) (12/27/89)

In article <1989Dec24.150008.28420@cs.dal.ca> bill@biomel.UUCP writes:
>updates, but I use VIP all the time to handle Lotus files.  It's good.

What do you mean about "opus" ?

This works very well with GDOS-based graphics (and the new version is able
to handle Lotus files too (so I have heard)).

And "opus" is PD!!

raba

larserio@IFI.UIO.NO (LarsErikOsterud) (12/27/89)

If you are looking for a godd spreadsheet for Atari:
drop VIP (it's just too slow) and buy LDW Power.  It's fast and easy.
Lotus compatible (both commands and format) and very powerful.
It can use GDOS to make very good printouts of sheet and graphics.

 Lars-Erik  /  ABK-BBS +47 2132659  /   ____ ______ ________________________
  Osterud  /  larserio@ifi.uio.no  /   /___    /            The norwegian ST