[comp.sys.atari.st] Blitz copy cable and utility

U009@CCIW.BITNET (11/17/89)

>Subject: Blitz! Floppy Backup available (Advertisement)
>
>BLITZ is a revolutionary new back-up system for the Atari ST computer.
>BLITZ uses ONLY a special cable and software to back-up your software at

I built up the cable illustrated in the original posting and thought I would
send off to the company mentioned for the software, $2.00 and you can't
go wrong, right?
Then on a hunch, I called up a local, major BBS (Canada Remote Systems,
if you must know) and found 2 (yes TWO) versions of the software in the
utilities area. One is obviously the initial version and the other is an
enhanced, Turbo version.

First, here are some tidbits from the .DOC and .TXT files in the archives:

"
"                                THE HAPPY KILLER
"                                  BLITZ COPIER
"
"
"    Are  you  ready for a $22.00 copier that will copy as good,  or  in  most
"    cases better,  than a $150.00  cart?  Yes??  Well then, Blitz is

The wiring diagram also appeared as a drawing file suitable for printing
with PICSW7:

"    ....That's it!  Just print out the BLITZ.PC3 or BLITZ.IMG file and you'll
"    see how to hook up the printer plug into the drive cables.
"

and...

"=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"=-=-=                                                       =-=-=
"=-=-=                       INTRODUCING                     =-=-=
"=-=-=                                                       =-=-=
"=-=-=           DUPLI-TWIX BLITZ ST DISK DUPLICATOR         =-=-=
"=-=-=                                                       =-=-=
"=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"
"(The  following  product was introduced and demonstrated  at  the
"WAACE DC AtariFest, October 7-8, 1989.)
"
"Are  you tired of running ProCopy or ACopy on your latest $39  or
"$59 program or game only to find that you can't make a backup  of

and...

"Magic Media Research in conjuction with 1st STOP Computer Systems
"Ltd is gearing up for production and distribution of the fastest,
"most reasonably priced disk duplicator for the Atari ST available
"anywhere!
"
"                        What does it do?
"                        cccccccccccccccc
"It copies disks.  Fast.  Copy protection and all.  It even copies
"some disks that the Discovery cartridges have trouble with.   Our
"Discovery  cart  took  15 minutes and 40 tries  to  back  up  our
"Populous disk.   It took DupliTwix less than half a minute!   Our
"Discovery cart wouldn't back up our Batman disk at  all.   Dupli-
"Twix did it in less time than it takes the ST to format a disk!
"
"Sorry, but you can't put Mac ROMs into DupliTwix (OK, Dave?).

Well, it does what it says... I backed up my copies of Populous and
Bloodwych in 25 seconds each. And they booted immediately.
To be honest, Populous duped with the first? version of the program
but Bloodwych wouldn't, so I used the Turbo mode on it. That worked fine
(and was faster too). Populous was tried on the Turbo mode and it too
worked fine.

One minor hitch with the turbo software: it takes a long time to exit
back to the desktop. The disk directory windows re-open quickly but
no files are drawn into them for quite a while. I thought it had crashed.
I am running a .5 MB 520 with a Supra 20 hard drive.
It's not much of a problem, though, because you usually want to disconnect
the drive and reboot to check the backup anyway.

I took a good look and there appears to be no licencing or restrictions on
re-distribution, so the software could be uploaded. I would check on any
local BBS's first, also GEnie or C'serve. I will go back to my archives and
read the suggestion about submissions on the BITNET side and follow up. In
the meantime, If you are seriously in need, I could E-mail a UUEncoded
file to you (too many requests might clog us up, though... one hop to the
main nodes is only 2400 baud). If you are asking for the file, please
indicate if you would be willing to re-mail for me if I send you a net
name and address.

PS the original posting showed a 36 pin plug for the printer output
port. It is a 25 pin plug but the pins are numbered correctly... pins
26 - 36 don't exist. The listing of interconnections is right, the
assignment of colors to the plug given is numbered right but positioned
wrong. The drawing file in the archive is correct.

Regards, Stu Beal, VE3MWM, (U009@CCIW.BITNET),
National Water Research Institute,
Burlington, Ontario, Canada.

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/10/89)

The basenote contains info about the BLITZ disk copier cable.

	This is essentially an analog copier. The "read-data" wire coming
from drive "A" is connected directly to the "write-data" wire coming from
drive B -- hence, whatever magnetic flux shows up on the track gets plopped
onto the destination drive. This makes for a powerful copier indeed.

	I used to *sell* a copier extremely like this, called the L.E. Systems
FDC system, back in '82 or so, for the Atari 8-bit. With 8 drives (1 master,
7 slaves) it would produce 7 exact copies of a very copy protected disk in
around 17 seconds. I will attest that thousands of 8-bit disks from Synapse,
Broderbund, Origin Systems, Paradise Software,  Epyx, and others I can't
recall 7 years later were produced on this system, and were very reliable.
It finally went away during the big slump of the 8 bits.

	Now, I'm supposed to be anti-pirate, right? Why do I like this
system? Bit-shift. See, when you write disks, if I've had it explained to
me correctly, you're writing a bunch of small bar magnets on the disk.
If the bits are   north south  south north,   those two bits repel each
other, and physically move away. Similarly, north south  north south attract,
and move closer. This makes them move away from the "window" that the data
seperator uses to determine if a bit is there or not.

	As I understand it, "write precompensation" is the science of
moving repelling bits closer together at write-time so they end up, after
repelling, where they should be, and more or less the same for attracting
bits.

	Now, when you analog copy, the bits start drifting, since there
is no write precomp. My personal experience with both single and double
density disks (heh! and even Commodore 64) is that you have no problems on
first generation clones. Second generation, the innermost tracks, where
things are the hairiest, start to glitch, and third generation is hopeless.

	Hence, this is a backup device that works best when you put a
master disk in the "from" drive. It doesn't work at all well when copying a
copy, in my experience. That tends to step on the copy-of-copy-of-copy
piracy. (Sure, it doesn't affect BBS's, but that's another issue).

	The other nice thing about BLITZ is its simplicity. I have looked
over the docs and it looks like 20 minutes with a soldering iron, nothing
hard. Parts are a DB-25 connector from Radio Shack and a disk cable from
your local Atari dealer (or Best Electronics). There does not seem to be a
copyright on the supplied software.

	Thus, your major cost is the download. Even ST-World is offering
the documentation on its monthly shareware disk.

	BLITZ copied, with no problems, literally every copy protected
disk I own. I know people who use it for a formatter! (I don't recommend
that, as it's a second-generation copy w/o verify). It is extremely fast.

	Technically, the big problem is syncing up index pulses. On both
drives, they have to occur at the same time. If you just copy, you'll likely
have a sector end up straddling the index pulse, and the 1772 automatically
generates a CRC error if it sees an IP in the sector (bug in the chip, WD
says). Thus the BLITZ has to get the drives spinning together, which is
a matter of toggling the MOTORON line on and off at high speed to slow one
drive until they sync. Doubtlessly the DB-25 printer port is used to supply
both the index inputs and output motoron, drive select, step, and so on.

	It is also probably helpful if drive B runs slightly more slowly than
A:, so A:'s track "finishes" at index pulse before drive B, just a little.
That was the case for the L.E. copier.

	I understand an outfit in Las Vegas is already advertising and selling
BLITZ cables and software, pre-made, ready to run. I know several people in
Denver who have built them and they work, plus those on GEnie.

	Now, if we could just make pirate BBS copies of programs degenerate
each time they're copied ... <wistful sigh>.

	I hope this information about BLITZ is of interest.

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (12/11/89)

In article <14889@well.UUCP>, dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:
[ .... ]
> your local Atari dealer (or Best Electronics). There does not seem to be a
> copyright on the supplied software.
>
> 	Thus, your major cost is the download. Even ST-World is offering
> the documentation on its monthly shareware disk.

[ .... ]
> 	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

    Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the BLITZ software?
    I've checked my local BBS's and it's not on any of them.
    If somebody could please EMAIL me a copy I'd greatly apreciate it.

    Thanx in advance, Paul Moreau.
---
   .===========================================================.
   |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
   `==========================================================='

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/12/89)

Dave Small sez...
>I hope this information about BLITZ is of interest.

>-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

Geez, Dave.. you're one of the few members of our little Atari world whose
info is *always* of interest..!

You've managed, in one short message, to clear up a lot of the mystery about
how the BLITZ system works...  much more so than all of the other messages
I've read, anywhere else about it..!

I still remember the night you demonstrated your Z-80 based parallel
bus disk drive for the 8-bit Atari at a MACE meeting...  hard drive speed
from a floppy..!

In short.. *anything* you want to write is of interest..!

BobR

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (12/14/89)

>       Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the BLITZ software?
>       I've checked my local BBS's and it's not on any of them.
>       If somebody could please EMAIL me a copy I'd greatly apreciate it.

You may ftp it from xanth.cs.odu.edu

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) (12/19/89)

The basenote asks where to get the Blitz cable docs (which are PD, I think.)

They are available on both the GEnie and CIS networks, and probably
interminable BBS's. They're a bit long to uuencode and post here, though.

	Also, an outfit in Las Vegas, Nevada is selling the complete unit
for a reasonable price. There are starting to be ads for it in mags like
ST-World and ST-Informer. In looking, I couldn't find one, but my office
is in a Christmas Mess. It's there alright.

	Software First, a little north of Bay Area, reports that there is
nothing in their store that it cannot copy. That's not surprising, given
that's it's just passing on pulses from drive to drive without analyzing them.
I know people who mass-format disks with this utility, although I personally
do not, as it takes 18 sec/side. I'm thoroughly impressed with it -- and that
it doesn't make third and later generation copies, which to me legitimizes
it as a backup tool. Software First reports no other copy program can
copy everything they have, including Copy II ST, etc, and even the Option
Board, which is extremely powerful.

	So, if you know someone on GEnie or CIS ...

	-- thanks, Dave / Gadgets

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (12/19/89)

In article <15093@well.UUCP> dsmall@well.UUCP (David Small) writes:
>  The basenote asks where to get the Blitz cable docs (which are PD, I think.)

>  They are available on both the GEnie and CIS networks, and probably
>  interminable BBS's. They're a bit long to uuencode and post here, though.

ftp xanth.cs.odu.edu

>  So, if you know someone on GEnie or CIS ...

or if you have ftp access...

REMEMBER:  ZIP files are self extracting archives....  :)

 Scott D. Yelich                                 scott@cs.odu.edu [128.82.8.1]
 After he pushed me off the cliff, he asked me, as I fell, ``Why'd you jump?''

paulm@ccicpg.UUCP (tmp Paul Moreau usenet acct) (12/20/89)

In article <SCOTT.89Dec19103442@offa.cs.odu.edu>, scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) writes:
[ ... ]
> >  They are available on both the GEnie and CIS networks, and probably
> >  interminable BBS's. They're a bit long to uuencode and post here, though.
>
> ftp xanth.cs.odu.edu
>
> >  So, if you know someone on GEnie or CIS ...
>
> or if you have ftp access...
>
> REMEMBER:  ZIP files are self extracting archives....  :)
> --
[ .... ]

    If it is legal, could someone PLEASE post the Blitz software in the
    binaries group or somewhere?   I don't have access to GEnie nor do
    I know anyone who does.   I also can't ftp from here.
    I've built the cables and am now just awaiting code.

    Many many many thanx in advance!
---
   .===========================================================.
   |  ### ####### ###     |    N O R T H    | /==============\ |
   |  ### ###     ###     |  A M E R I C A  |< An STC Company >|
   |  ### ####### ####### |    (was CCI)    | \==============/ |
   |-----------------------------------------------------------|
   |  UUCP:  ...ccicpg!dl2!paulm   |      Paul L. Moreau       |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!dl1!paulm   | Diagnostics Software Eng. |
   |    or   ...ccicpg!paulm       |    Irvine, California     |
   `==========================================================='

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (12/25/89)

Dave Small notes, about the BLITZ cable instructions...
>They are available on both the GEnie and CIS networks, and probably
>interminable BBS's. They're a bit long to uuencode and post here, though.
>	So, if you know someone on GEnie or CIS ...

Or...  you can E-Mail me, and I can tell you how to order this month's
ARC utility disk from MACE, the Michigan Atari Computer Enthusiasts,
which has both the original BLITZ documents including text and DEGAS pic
of the cable, and the BLITZ-II (Turbo-BLITZ) software...

Or... check your local user group...

BobR

scott@cs.odu.edu (Scott Yelich) (12/29/89)

>   Or...  you can E-Mail me, and I can tell you how to order this month's
>   ARC utility disk from MACE, the Michigan Atari Computer Enthusiasts,
>   which has both the original BLITZ documents including text and DEGAS pic
>   of the cable, and the BLITZ-II (Turbo-BLITZ) software...

>   Or... check your local user group...

one last time... just to clear up some points.

I have two versions up for anonymous FTP from xanth.cs.odu.edu.
One version is a zip, the other is a compressed and tarred directory
of the files AFTER they have been unzipped.  I used a UNIX unzip since
I didnt have unzip for the ST.  Although I THOUGHT .zip files were
self extracting archives.  Nevertheless, there are two versions for FTP.