[comp.sys.atari.st] Music Composition Program Summary

ROEDERT@ARIZVM1.BITNET (Timothy Roeder) (12/28/89)

To begin, I would like to thank all of those who replied to my original
request about scoring programs for the ST.  To recap, I asked for
recommendations about a good composition program that would produce good
printed output, with sound output optional.

By and far, the largest number of replies I received recommended Hybrid
Arts EZ-Score Plus.  The output on 24-pin printers is good, and the program
has the ability to play back through the sound chip or MIDI.  Since this
program can be had for around $100 US, it is probably the one I'm going to
get.

Another recommendation was the ScoreST Music DTP program in the Jan. 1990
issue of Start.  Since I receive Start, I tried it out.  It seems to be quite
useful, though it has no playback capability.  However, I have not been able
to get really good printouts from this program, though I'm still working on
modifying the printer driver.  This program is definately the cheapest, though.

The other recommendation made was from Take Control in England, and the name of
the program is Music DTP.  It was highly recommended, but seems a bit pricey
for me.

That about covers it.  Again, thanks to those who replied!

Timothy Roeder

Internet: troeder@mis.arizona.edu     Bitnet: roedert@arizvm1.bitnet

ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu (Enartloc Nhoj) (12/29/89)

In article <8912290801.AA26701@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ROEDERT@ARIZVM1.BITNET (Timothy Roeder) writes:
>To begin, I would like to thank all of those who replied to my original
>By and far, the largest number of replies I received recommended Hybrid
>Arts EZ-Score Plus.  The output on 24-pin printers is good, and the program
>has the ability to play back through the sound chip or MIDI.  Since this
>program can be had for around $100 US, it is probably the one I'm going to
>get.
>
>Another recommendation was the ScoreST Music DTP program in the Jan. 1990
>Timothy Roeder

I bought Ez-Score Plus a couple of years ago.  THe menus and options
look promising.. but the quality of output I found was rather
unacceptable on my Epson 24 pin.  ALso, the version I had gave you
3 staves only..  that version was  very buggy...
i made a list 3 pages long of very disturbing bugs
or "features" of the program.  Supposedly, a newer version was to
support 6 staves...  (This is extremely paltry this day and
age.)  I inquired for several months.. but no updates
seemed to materialize.  The playback feature is spartan... not
a sequencer at all.. which is no problem if you simply want to
hear straightforward playback... but there were strange timing
problems .. pauses.. accelerandos and decelerandos inadvertant...
Unless the program has improved.. you should LOOK at others before
you buy... i GAVE my program to a friend who never uses it.

It may in fact be the "best" for $100... my suggestion is
that, if this is so, save your money and get something more
useful.

Music processors are like word processors.. you buy six different ones
before you find one you like... and then, it's never perfect.
Keeps the future bright :-)

-kevin
ramsiri@blake.acs.washington.edu