[comp.sys.atari.st] TURTLE 3.0'S archive option

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (01/02/90)

Hello all,

     I've a question regarding George Woodside's excellent hard drive
backup utility.  Regarding the archive bit....
     I have TOS 1.4 and was hoping that the setting of the bit would
allow me to use the archive option to back up only the files that have been
added to or modified since my last backup.
     This is not the case, though.  When attempting a new backup, none of
my new, added, or modified files were flagged and put in the backup
window.  In fact, nothing showed up in the window at all except for a
message saying that the backup had been successful.  Yeah, right...
     Ok, dullard that I am, am I misinterpretating what is suppose
to be really happening?  Could someone tell me the "rest of the story"?

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>

woodside@ttidca.TTI.COM (George Woodside) (01/03/90)

In article <891227.19144827.002918@SFA.CP6> Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) writes:
>     I have TOS 1.4 and was hoping that the setting of the bit would
>allow me to use the archive option to back up only the files that have been
>added to or modified since my last backup.

Your problem is simple: timing.

I haven't had time to do a new version yet.

TOS 1.4 reverses the significance of the Archive bit from the prior
TOS versions. Turtle has to be modified to deal with the Archive bit
properly, for whatever version of TOS you are running. It will be as
soon as I get past a few other, higher priority items.

Meanwhile, there is a more frequently occurring problem dealing with
directory create failures in the RAMdisk, which I've been trying to
re-create. When I can get that to occur reliably, I can deal with
it and the archive bit.

Both problems, however, take a back seat to the current work on the
Virus Killer. Which, in turn, is slightly behind an even more critical
hard disk failure problem.

If anyone has a few 300 day weeks they can spare, I could use them. :^).
Working for a living sure cuts into my day.

--
*George R. Woodside - Citicorp/TTI - Santa Monica, CA

Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET (Z4648252) (01/04/90)

George Woodside writes:

>>(If anyone has a few 300 day weeks they can spare, I could use them. :~).
>Working for a living sure cuts into my day.

    Now, George, you know if you got those extra 300 day weeks, that you'd
be even further behind.  GRIN  (more projects to do!)
    Your efforts and work are appreciated---IN A BIG WAY!  *THANKS*

>Meanwhile, there is a more frequently occurring problem dealing with
>directory create failures in the RAMdisk, which I've been trying to
>re-create. When I can get that to occur reliably, I can deal with
>it and the archive bit.

    I can get the directory failure to occur when I DON'T disable
ICD's buffers in their version 4.0 hard drive driver.  By killing
their buffered cache, my backups are reliable, with the exception
of the archive bit.
    At any rate, and again, thanks for your work, George!

Larry Rymal:  |East Texas Atari 68NNNers| <Z4648252@SFAUSTIN.BITNET>